Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

2/16 Cabrillo tourney

I am always stoked when my schedule allows me to fish the Baytubers monthly tournaments. This month Cabrillo was the venue and Kiyo threw out a last minute surprize and said we could launch on either side. The pennisula and break wall provide a sheltered harbor launch on one side and a open ocean beach launch on the other.

Recent reports had seemed to be slow for the harbor and rumors of WSB off the point made up my mind for me. Surf was a little bigger than I had expected, but long intervals and nice lulls made for easy ins and outs.

Fishing was very slow. I only managed a few sandbass. The five of us that beach launched Rhino, Jas, PAL, Pierpont and I, caught nothing besides bass, mostly sandies, with Mark catching the big fish in our lil group, a 4+ calico.

Snags on the bottom provide the only big bendos Jeff pulled up a lobster trap, minus a buoy. Back at the parking lot we saw a lot of legal halibut. Kiyo's 9 pounder won the big fish pot and Grego had 3 legals totaling 20+ pounds, so he won the tourney pot of $500+ Some of the proceeds went to KFACA as well, along with generous donations by Kiyo and Grego, helping protect our rights to fish.

The usual potluck was good as ever with plenty of good stuff to eat. I had to leave prior to the raffle, where usually everyone wins something. Thanks Kiyo and www.baytubers.com for another great day. Since Grego won he not only gets to provide next months main dish for the potluck, but also decides where the tourney will be.......I am betting it will be Redondo

Last edited by Iceman; 02-17-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
herbo

Great report..Fantastic pics,looks like a great day was had by all who could attend....H
herbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Grego

The little baytuber tourney was able to get almost $500 in total contributions that day for the KFACA. The size wasn't there yesterday, but there was plenty of action inside the harbor area.

Andy, after you left some mentioned they wanted to do Marina Del Rey, I think some of them want to do some pre-fishing for the big MDR Halibut Derby. So that's where it shall be, I never fished there so don't have any info, hopefully the locals of that area will start to post some info. Actually the only time I paddled there was with you many years ago when we were the first kayak only team entered in that big MDR tourney.

I could pick Redondo, but then my chances increase of having to bring the main dish againlol. The main dish shall be FRESH HOT TAMALES (Pork, Beef, Chicken). After having a couple this morning for breakfast (the ones I forgot to bring yesterday) you guys will love them!!

Hope to see some of you there.

Grego
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Congrats Grego, you talked your smack and shut us..........I mean Dave down (although the was rumor that he threw the tourney just so he did not have to cook for the next one......again)lol

Hope the date for next month works for me!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
Zed
BANNED

Way to point at the fence, Grego!

Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Way to point at the fence, Grego!

I second that....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:10 AM   #7
Slay Rider

Congratulations on the big win Grego - bay tuber tourneys are the best!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
Corey

WTG Grego. Long time no see.