Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
dorf

LJ More fishermen than fish 23 Feb 2008

What a day! Just what most would have expected. Ass Hats, douche nozzles, New friends and friendly neighbors. I met my buddy Alex at the launch at 4am. I had read the report that the vehicle access to the beach was washed away so I parked as close to it as I could. As we were getting our gear unloaded we witnessed one excited yaker try to drive on to the beach. He got about 2 feet when his front right wheel went down into the crevasse that was created by rain wash. Does this qualify as a Ass Hat or Douche Nozzle? Fortunately for this guy there was a yaker who was equipped for this situation and help pull him out. Good on you!

We launched at 4:20 into shin high surf. Just as I was getting out of the surf zone I get pimp slapped by a wave over my bow (thank good for wet weather clothes eh Alex?) We Peddled out and met a lot of nice guys who were happy to share their light. Not good with names so a big thank you out to you guys (you know who you are).
Pulled in a few squid and as the sun rose and started to warm things up I drop a squid on a my jig. Bounce, Bounce Bendo! I start working it. As I start to gain some line he bolts and SNAP. Biggest WSB I never caught (most likely a bat ray though I'll never publically admit that).
Change to a knife jig. Drop and hit again. This time I bring in a greenie. This is the story for the rest of the morning. I heard tale of one person on a red Kayak pulling in a WSB but never saw it. As the crowd thinned out the dogs came in and then everything was dead.
Out of the water at 9:30.
All tolled 5 Greenies
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
wavster

Now if you rigged up that knife jig the way Shimano reccommends, that greenie's
worth gold!

I heard it was a zoo today. I opted to stay away...
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
madscientist

All things considered it wasn't as bad out there today as I expected. Slow fishing, but otherwise pretty good conditions.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
dorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post
Now if you rigged up that knife jig the way Shimano reccommends, that greenie's
worth gold!

I heard it was a zoo today. I opted to stay away...
But it's not a Shimano Butterfly.

Wasn't as bad I thought it would be. A nice day
Old 02-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Alex

What wet weather clothes? haha

For the lack of fish and freezing my ass off it was a good day on the water.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
Froman
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorf View Post
As we were getting our gear unloaded we witnessed one excited yaker try to drive on to the beach. He got about 2 feet when his front right wheel went down into the crevasse that was created by rain wash. Does this qualify as a Ass Hat or Douche Nozzle?
Are you talking about me??? I am not an ass hat, nor a douche nozzle!!! (by the way, notice the article noun agreement, not mention, proper conjunction in my sentence opposed to your sentence) but Ingles is my 2nd language!!! btw, I am an excited float tuber, not a fricken yakker!!! I am sorry for holding you guys up at La Rampa!!!

FRO
Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
dorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froman View Post
Are you talking about me??? I am not an ass hat, nor a douche nozzle!!! (by the way, notice the article noun agreement, not mention, proper conjunction in my sentence opposed to your sentence) but Ingles is my 2nd language!!! btw, I am an excited float tuber, not a fricken yakker!!! I am sorry for holding you guys up at La Rampa!!!

FRO
Lighten up Francis.
The guy that I saw had a kayak in the bed of his truck.
No offense meant. It was in reference to a previous post that a few of us had been discussing at the time the truck had gotten stuck.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Alex

Were you the guy in the jeep or the guy in the F150? If it was the F150, it was worth it...
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
sterling

I was the guy pulling the kayak onto the beach that guy was waiting to clear. I'm glad I was on the beach before he got stuck. I barely had enough time to make squid! As if it mattered anyway, but you don't know that at the time.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
esdees
The Good Clone

I wouldn't mess around with Froman. He's a little... something.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #11
madscientist

Watch your toes in the tube, Fro. Rumor is there's a gran tiburon around.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #12
Grego

Ya know there's a bite going on, or should I say HAD gone on when the LA guys are driving down for the action.
There were two trucks stuck? I was behind the jeep that was attempting to leave. Cheers to the yakker that lead the way to finding an alternate way off the beach by Scripps Pier, he let the rest of us know by putting his blinkers on.

Dayum Fro! I didn't see you out there, we'll catch up next time I hit Baja.

Nice seeing everyone that I haven't seen in a while...Trevor nice catching up on the paddle out. Chris, loved the orange waders, Dave, thanks for offering squeeed, and Kurt...well ya know, looking dapper as ever with the chollo beenie. Brad, I seen you but you looked busy catching free Tady's from the lobster bouys. Todd & Randy, nice seeing the both of you! Matty, didn't surprise me to see you chewing on a piece of shrimp flavored Gulp! you gotta stop that...could get cancer of the mouth. Of course seeing some LP guys - Martin, Cabo, & Gabe being their stupid selves as usual...fookers wouldn't give me a piece of squid even though it was a few hours after my B-Day!! bastards! Oh and thanks to the yaker who offered me a piece of squid in the yellow jacket to show them up, class act!

A lot of new faces out there, the years have just flown by during all of my 21 years of life, *sigh*

Grego
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
Handymansd
Ancient Member

How many people got stuck there?!?

I pulled out a white ford F150 around 4, I heard a couple guys say they saw a jeep, and some one also told me that a gray truck also got stuck! WOW, I hope each of you works close to where you live!

Don't be offended... its all good... but it is still something everyone should get crap for!

Cheers!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Grego good seeing you as well as everyone else, seems like most people cooperated on the water... I was hoping that Friday rain, and cloud cover would help with the morning bite, but alas not to be, fun day on my skiff... on the way in MB Jetty the DFG pulled my boat over, good to see they are out in force, they were quick, and courteous... Fro, take your tube elsewhere, you nut!

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
kurt

Quote:
and Kurt...well ya know, looking dapper as ever with the chollo beenie.
Good to see you to Grego.

Quote:
the years have just flown by during all of my 21 years of life, *sigh*
I didn't know you were so young. I guess that explains why you'd get so rocked in Baja on just one white wine spritzer. Keep winning those tournaments.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:08 PM   #16
rastrev

It was good seeing you too Grego, It's been too long, hope to see you back down here again soon.

Fro, your hardcore in the tube! Que bueno, un dia, un jurel por ti!
rastrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #17
DESTROYER

You crack me up Grego! That laugh is priceless
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote