Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Punta Chivato

I am going to head over to Punta Chivato for 2 or 3 days of fishing. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of camping facilities, preferably close to a launch site?
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
Deamon

Pm'd you Rossman. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Pm'd you Rossman. Jim
What about the rest of, we might be interested also. Come on Jim YOU know there are others out here in BWE land who would put your information to great use.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #4
Deamon

Hey Mako RoberMissingToe,

Okay, I'm aging myself out but way back in the day, Punta Chivato was our go-to spot. Very good fishing for Yellows, dorado, etc...if conditions were right, skiff fishing though. I remember watching the Bulls games with MJ every year at the restaurant overlooking Bahia Concepcion, no place more beautiful.

Anyways, there was a Baja beat writer at Western Outdoor News named Fred Hoctor (RIP) who would sometimes mention the big grouper at Punta Chivato. Back then, Fred/WON would post his phone number with his weekly column. So I called him just before a trip and he answered. I asked him about it. He was happy to give me very clear directions with some details:
-Use a broom stick rod
-Take the biggest reel I had and turn the star drag down as tight as possible
-And when I'm done tightening the drag, get a wrench and hit the star drag a few more times to make sure the drag was really tight, lol
-He assured me that I would get bit
-Fred told me to hold onto the rod
He also assured me I would not be landing any of these grouper
He told me to find the spot by heading....blah, blah, blah...I've written too much already and boring you with such minuscule details.

Jim
Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Hey Mako RoberMissingToe,

Okay, I'm aging myself out but way back in the day, Punta Chivato was our go-to spot. Very good fishing for Yellows, dorado, etc...if conditions were right, skiff fishing though. I remember watching the Bulls games with MJ every year at the restaurant overlooking Bahia Concepcion, no place more beautiful.

Anyways, there was a Baja beat writer at Western Outdoor News named Fred Hoctor (RIP) who would sometimes mention the big grouper at Punta Chivato. Back then, Fred/WON would post his phone number with his weekly column. So I called him just before a trip and he answered. I asked him about it. He was happy to give me very clear directions with some details:
-Use a broom stick rod
-Take the biggest reel I had and turn the star drag down as tight as possible
-And when I'm done tightening the drag, get a wrench and hit the star drag a few more times to make sure the drag was really tight, lol
-He assured me that I would get bit
-Fred told me to hold onto the rod
He also assured me I would not be landing any of these grouper
He told me to find the spot by heading....blah, blah, blah...I've written too much already and boring you with such minuscule details.

Jim
Been there, done that. After that Jim you need to get a BIGGER wrench and tighten it some more. About the only way to get those fish were to make them chase your offering, that way they were coming toward you when they got hooked, then pray you could keep them coming up. TOUGH FISH..

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
Dannowar

pumping grouper out of the rocks?!?!

show me your grouper spot so i can force feed him some steel
Old 05-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Deamon

70-75' Danno. If you can hit that depth, let's go. Easily yakable. Jim
Old 05-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Been there, done that. After that Jim you need to get a BIGGER wrench and tighten it some more. About the only way to get those fish were to make them chase your offering, that way they were coming toward you when they got hooked, then pray you could keep them coming up. TOUGH FISH..
This is something I'd like to try on a skiff sometime but I think the laws of physics would make it impossible to land one of these things on a kayak. Possibly under perfect conditions on one of those wider peddle thingys but I know that it is virtually impossible for me on my kayak to break 50 lb string when snagged on the bottom. Now picture 80 or 100 lb string with buttoned down drag and the snag actually moving quickly in another direction. I can visualize a few outcomes and all of the them are bad.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 05-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
This is something I'd like to try on a skiff sometime but I think the laws of physics would make it impossible to land one of these things on a kayak. Possibly under perfect conditions on one of those wider peddle thingys but I know that it is virtually impossible for me on my kayak to break 50 lb string when snagged on the bottom. Now picture 80 or 100 lb string with buttoned down drag and the snag actually moving quickly in another direction. I can visualize a few outcomes and all of the them are bad.
Ross that is the reason you NEVER see me fishing anything over 25 lb test. Been there.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 05-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #10
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Ross that is the reason you NEVER see me fishing anything over 25 lb test. Been there.
I fish almost exclusively with a 40 lb topshot down here and I think it gives me a punchers chance at some of these mules off the reefs and I can break 40 lb test on my kayak should I get snagged. You have to be very careful when the line for finally parts because the momentum will throw to over the he other side of the the yak.
— Herman Melville

Old 05-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
Dannowar

Quote:
70-75' Danno. If you can hit that depth, let's go. Easily yakable. Jim

Cake. How many hours south of BOLA is that?
Old 05-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
I fish almost exclusively with a 40 lb topshot down here and I think it gives me a punchers chance at some of these mules off the reefs and I can break 40 lb test on my kayak should I get snagged. You have to be very careful when the line for finally parts because the momentum will throw to over the he other side of the the yak.
Ross with the 25lb test I just reverse my drive and back up until it pops, rod tip pointed low towards the bow. Safer for me that way.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 05-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #13
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I posted this same question on Baja Nomads and got a lot of good information about the he area. If anyone wants to read, here is the link.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78970

I am heading over there on Monday for 2 or 3 days. Report when I get back.

Had a great day on the water today. Flat calm and no wind til noon which has been very unusual lately. Was able to land and release 3 yellows. Largest at 34 lbs and smallest at 21 lbs. Will post some pics early tomorrow morning when my data speed is a bit better.
— Herman Melville