Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
quilicaw
The Professor

MIssion Bay Grand Slam

Fished mission Bay last Sunday for what I call a very mixed bag. Multiple spotties, sand bass, two short halibut, a mackerel, a barracuda, some kind of shark that I have never seen before (Sort of a brown color and spiky skin) and this croaker that took me and my bass rod for a ride. Everything bites plastics!

Last edited by quilicaw; 05-27-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
quilicaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Dannowar

Rad variety!! Pics of the shark?
Old 05-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
Dave Legacy

Spiny Dogfish?
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:24 AM   #4
taggermike

Unusual or rarely caught sharks in MB could be; If the shark was slim with a big spine in front of each dorsal fin it was a spiny dog fish.big dorsal spines and a blunt squarish head wound be a horned shark. Flat headed with a fat belly and spots would be a swell shark. Shovle nose and angles are obvious. If it was skinny and just basic shark looking most like a brown smooth hound. Fun day all around. Those yellow fin croaker can really pull. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:16 AM   #5
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilicaw View Post
Fished mission Bay last Sunday for what I call a very mixed bag. Multiple spotties, sand bass, two short halibut, a mackerel, a barracuda, some kind of shark that I have never seen before (Sort of a brown color and spiky skin) and this croaker that took me and my bass rod for a ride. Everything bites plastics!
What model Lews reel is that?

How do you like the Cousins rods?
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
quilicaw
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Unusual or rarely caught sharks in MB could be; If the shark was slim with a big spine in front of each dorsal fin it was a spiny dog fish.big dorsal spines and a blunt squarish head wound be a horned shark. Flat headed with a fat belly and spots would be a swell shark. Shovle nose and angles are obvious. If it was skinny and just basic shark looking most like a brown smooth hound. Fun day all around. Those yellow fin croaker can really pull. Mike
By the description it sounds like it was a spiny dog fish. I did not take a pic as I used long forceps to pluck the hook and never took it out of the water. I lost a nice fish finder to a leopard shark that came loose on me up in Ventura and thrashed about in my yak. Not doing that again.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
quilicaw
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
What model Lews reel is that?

How do you like the Cousins rods?
The reel is a BB1 pro series. The speed spool in no gimmick. That little reel will toss tiny baits a country mile with no backlashes. And with just a flick of the wrist, no power casting needed. They also carved weight off it at every turn up to and including a carbon fiber reel handle. The whole thing weighs nothing. I love it. Silky drag as well.

The Cousins Raze is an RFB734FPT 7'3inc. It says heavy on it, but really it's a medium heavy with a stiffer forend and middle and a slightly flexible tip. Fights well, handled that drag burning shark no problem, but also protects your leader.

The combo of that speed spool and slightly flexible tip makes for a great caster.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #8
buddha

Quote:
The reel is a BB1 pro series. The speed spool in no gimmick. That little reel will toss tiny baits a country mile with no backlashes. And with just a flick of the wrist, no power casting needed. They also carved weight off it at every turn up to and including a carbon fiber reel handle. The whole thing weighs nothing. I love it. Silky drag as well.

The Cousins Raze is an RFB734FPT 7'3inc. It says heavy on it, but really it's a medium heavy with a stiffer forend and middle and a slightly flexible tip. Fights well, handled that drag burning shark no problem, but also protects your leader.

The combo of that speed spool and slightly flexible tip makes for a great caster.
I own a Lews BB2 Inshore reel that is very nice and is made for the saltwater.

How is the BB1 pro series in the salt? I thought that was a freshwater reel.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:43 AM   #9
quilicaw
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
I own a Lews BB2 Inshore reel that is very nice and is made for the saltwater.

How is the BB1 pro series in the salt? I thought that was a freshwater reel.
It is great in the salt. I take it apart and clean it bearing to bearing after every use. We'll see how long it lasts.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
buddha

Quote:
It is great in the salt. I take it apart and clean it bearing to bearing after every use. We'll see how long it lasts.
I emailed Lews and asked them what are the best saltwater baitcasting reels that they sell.

They told me that the BB1/BB2 Inshore series and the Lews Super Duty were the best.

Lews are very popular reels in the southern states and many like the Tournament Pro also.

I would think that since you are cleaning them after every use you shouldn't have a problem and they should last pretty well.