Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Talking Anybody going out regularly between Malibu and Ventura?

Hello all!
I'm new to the forum.

I've been fishing since I was a kid in Alabama. I've spent a lot of time on the water in the Gulf, and on party boats out here in Los Angeles. I'm no stranger to a kayak or the surf, but I'm only just now getting into kayak fishing.

My Dad recently gave me his 13' Ocean Kayak Torque after moving away from Santa Barbara to somewhere more landlocked, and I've been looking to get out and do some fishing.

I've launched once out of Leo Carillo (those stairs are a beast to get a big Kayak up and down!) and pulled up a couple of C&R calicos out of the kelp, and had a blast
That said, my understanding is that it's best not to go alone, and none of my fishing friends have a kayak.
My wife also promised me if I keep going out alone, I might come home to find her shiny new Honda Shadow in the driveway and I'd rather she not take up motorcycling

While I try to coerce my friends into buying kayaks, I'm considering the path of least resistance....

I'm curious if any particularly friendly 'yak anglers who launch between Leo Carillo and Oxnard wouldn't mind a rookie tagging along sometime? I'm fully outfitted, mild mannered, punctual, and good with social cues. I'm also freelance, so my schedule tends to be pretty flexible for making it to the beach during the week or on short notice.

Cheers!

PS: I also *might* not be averse to picking up lunch at Neptune's Net or elsewhere locally convenient for anyone nice enough to have me

Last edited by ProfessorLongArms; 09-12-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something at the end
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
TJones

Percfecto

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #3
Cronus
Cheat to win

I have recently started going from Leo myself. I have a Lure 13.5 that weighs 95 lbs empty so I know what you mean about getting to the water. I have been told to also hit Deer Creek but that staircase is damn near vertical. No way to do that alone. I park on the north side of Leo on PCH and use my kart to get down to the water. I usually launch right next to the large rocks on the right. There is a trail you can snake through the boulders but usually that area is full of kids when I come back. So I land at the right of the rock patch, when looking from the water, and pull my kayak on the bike trail since the dirt is harder and I dont have to fight the sand. I have hit some nice calico, a hali on my first trip, and fought with a ray there. If the waves are too big I hit the break wall out of Channel Islands. I am somewhat of a nube myself when it comes to ocean fishing but I catch. I just picked up a laminated fish ID chart so I know what Im pulling in. There are some fish that I'm like, what the hell is this, lol. I just checked the surf report and this weekend the waves are 1ft + so it will be a good time to go. I'll be at Leo by 7. I like to be earlier but have not slept much lately so will not jump too early, live in Simi. Black Cayenne with a Lure in winter cammo, Mike is the name.
Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #4
Roscoe

I try to go out every weekend.
Between Leo and Ventura harbor.
Sometimes farther north if I can swing it.
Pm me your number and I will text you the next time I go out.
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
ProfessorLongArms

Wow..

Thanks everybody for such a quick and welcoming response! (I also got a private message with some extra info)

Glad to know there's such an active Kayak fishing community up here, and I'm even more excited to get out on the water now.

I'll shoot that PM over now.

My name's Spencer, btw. I'll be out there in a Yellow Ocean Torque (fancied up Trident 13) with long hippie hair and a beard.

I'm curious if there are any launch sites recommended for easy access to the water... I'd trade *great* fishing for easy access starting out....

I noticed the north side of leo carillo has a pretty easy parking situation next to the beach, but the parking attendant told me I'd get thrashed in the surf, and I'm not sure if there's much structure worth fishing there like kelp, etc. I keep hearing nice things about deep hole...

Definitely not planning to go down the stairs alone again... I almost sold my kayak after trying to drag it up those stairs.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
I have recently started going from Leo myself. I have a Lure 13.5 that weighs 95 lbs empty so I know what you mean about getting to the water. I have been told to also hit Deer Creek but that staircase is damn near vertical. No way to do that alone. I park on the north side of Leo on PCH and use my kart to get down to the water. I usually launch right next to the large rocks on the right. There is a trail you can snake through the boulders but usually that area is full of kids when I come back. So I land at the right of the rock patch, when looking from the water, and pull my kayak on the bike trail since the dirt is harder and I dont have to fight the sand. I have hit some nice calico, a hali on my first trip, and fought with a ray there. If the waves are too big I hit the break wall out of Channel Islands. I am somewhat of a nube myself when it comes to ocean fishing but I catch. I just picked up a laminated fish ID chart so I know what Im pulling in. There are some fish that I'm like, what the hell is this, lol. I just checked the surf report and this weekend the waves are 1ft + so it will be a good time to go. I'll be at Leo by 7. I like to be earlier but have not slept much lately so will not jump too early, live in Simi. Black Cayenne with a Lure in winter cammo, Mike is the name.
Also thanks for the tip on the trails at Leo! I had no idea about those. Gonna scout that out when I'm up that way tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
Hunters Pa

Make sure you know where the MLPA closures are. We lost some prime areas up there through that process and you don't need some NIMBY activist on their balcony or "their beach" with binoculars and a heightened sense of self importance trying to tell you that you were targeting "ocean puppies" in a protected area.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Make sure you know where the MLPA closures are. We lost some prime areas up there through that process and you don't need some NIMBY activist on their balcony or "their beach" with binoculars and a heightened sense of self importance trying to tell you that you were targeting "ocean puppies" in a protected area.
LOL "ocean puppies"

I married one of those yuppies and find that very funny.

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #9
TJones

Watch your step

Month ago I heard some rustling in the bush half way up steps. I was thinking mice moving in middle of day? I look and a see a snake body 3-4 " thick and appears to be a rattler. It continues slithering through a clearing in bush and low and behold, a rattler on the end of its tail. An adult snake estimated to be close to 3 foot. Probably enjoying the sun like the rest of us. This occurred while I was packing it up at around 15:30.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
TJones

No weekends for me right now

Week day warrior for next couple of months. It has its advantages. Hitting some Lj home guards during fall, winter, spring with less crowds is a blast . Can't wait to try them new flat falls.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
otterpupster

Send a message via MSN to otterpupster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Hello all!
I'm new to the forum.

I've been fishing since I was a kid in Alabama. I've spent a lot of time on the water in the Gulf, and on party boats out here in Los Angeles. I'm no stranger to a kayak or the surf, but I'm only just now getting into kayak fishing.

My Dad recently gave me his 13' Ocean Kayak Torque after moving away from Santa Barbara to somewhere more landlocked, and I've been looking to get out and do some fishing.

I've launched once out of Leo Carillo (those stairs are a beast to get a big Kayak up and down!) and pulled up a couple of C&R calicos out of the kelp, and had a blast
That said, my understanding is that it's best not to go alone, and none of my fishing friends have a kayak.
My wife also promised me if I keep going out alone, I might come home to find her shiny new Honda Shadow in the driveway and I'd rather she not take up motorcycling

While I try to coerce my friends into buying kayaks, I'm considering the path of least resistance....

I'm curious if any particularly friendly 'yak anglers who launch between Leo Carillo and Oxnard wouldn't mind a rookie tagging along sometime? I'm fully outfitted, mild mannered, punctual, and good with social cues. I'm also freelance, so my schedule tends to be pretty flexible for making it to the beach during the week or on short notice.

Cheers!

PS: I also *might* not be averse to picking up lunch at Neptune's Net or elsewhere locally convenient for anyone nice enough to have me
I've launched at Leo Carillo, now depending on the surf if its flat or small you can launch at the entry just north of the rock where the surfers take off.Now beware when coming in from this area cause the surf can nail you. You can also launch at the beach parking lot area and paddle south.Talk to the lifeguards at the lookout and beach sta.Good luck!
otterpupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #12
rackhenry

Hi,

I just picked up a fishing kayak and looking for someone to fish with. Im new to kayak fishing. Im going to try to fish Leo and CI harbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Hello all!
I'm new to the forum.

Cheers!

rackhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #13
Beer Me
Take two

PMs sent.

If I can teach you one thing, it’s how to right a PA14 after it’s flipped and climb back aboard while in a harbor ... I had an interesting outing on Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beer Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #14
rackhenry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Me View Post
PMs sent.

If I can teach you one thing, it’s how to right a PA14 after it’s flipped and climb back aboard while in a harbor ... I had an interesting outing on Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, I've been outside between the harbor and the breakwater, boats fly through there and waves coming from all directions.. Ive not practiced on the pa 12 yet how to flip over.
rackhenry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malibu, oxnard, ventura