Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
Junior

Hobie PA

Looking to get a kayak and i want to get a PA14.
How much should you expect to pay for a used one? I see them for 3k but they are new $3800ish. Is 3k normal or overpriced? And some people post years made, does it make a difference? Any tips are welcome. IÂ’m sure a lot of people here are experienced with Hobie and or PA14Â’s.

A little about me, i love long range boats for tuna but its getting expensive. Not retiring from tuna boats but i wanna be able to fish more consistently.
0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:18 AM   #2
matthew7!

For me it’s all about what comes with the kayak. Years made makes a difference. What I did when I was buying my kayak I wrote down all the attachments I wanted then checked those off with the kayaks for sale. You can get a new one but I would say you would have to get another 1k-2k worth off attachments. Also at the hobie dealerships they have a attachment book that gives you the price for each attachment which is a really good reference guide. They also sell cheap in the winter and expensive right now. Another thing to consider is which drive it is. I bought my kayak with the marage drive and within two months I had to buy the 180 cause I needed forward and backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
FoodGeekFish

As Matthew noted, in aftermarket purchases, it's all about the year and the "extras". 3k for a base PA14 (yak, seat, drive) is top end of price range, and really only should be considered for yaks a couple years old. But, once you add in bait tank, beach wheels, FF, turbo fins, rudder upgrades, batteries, and anything else that might be included, your "base package" price is dropping significantly, and that's the number that should be compared against the new from dealer price.
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
Junior

IHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew7! View Post
For me it’s all about what comes with the kayak. Years made makes a difference. What I did when I was buying my kayak I wrote down all the attachments I wanted then checked those off with the kayaks for sale. You can get a new one but I would say you would have to get another 1k-2k worth off attachments. Also at the hobie dealerships they have a attachment book that gives you the price for each attachment which is a really good reference guide. They also sell cheap in the winter and expensive right now. Another thing to consider is which drive it is. I bought my kayak with the marage drive and within two months I had to buy the 180 cause I needed forward and backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much is the price diference from buying now to winter? I could probably wait since the tuna bite is on.
0830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
TJones

Right now

Is an unusual time. It is a sellers market due to the fact that there is no current models available at the dealers. Someone correct me if that status has changed. Unless you have hopes of doing some fishing this summer, I would wait. PA 14’s are in super high demand. right now. The seller has the ability to hold out on low ballers due to high requests for used models.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote