Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #21
j mo

Gnarly! I got spooked recently at Seaside. I didnt scream like a girl but pretty sure I sharted myself
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #22
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
After watching that video I'm guessing there will be some very good deals on used yellow Hobies. No wonder Josh went to baby blue.

Everything I've heard has also suggested you don't move and you don't fight back or attack the shark. Doing those things can easily shift him from just being inquisitive to full-on attack mode. The key is to just be stunned and motionless while you piss and sheeet yourself.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #23
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I don't know anything about whether sharks and other fish can see colors but if they can, red may equal blood. Yellow could be diluted blood.

Sounds reasonable and makes me happy that I have a moss colored yak. Unless you are a carp, moss is probably not high on the wish list when the dinner bell rings.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #24
mckenzie

Hey....it's SHARK WEEK! Whatever?
mckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #25
cowboybill

worth a look

http://www.sharkshield.com/Content/Home/

I like the idea of this, but at $700.....

But $700 sounds cheap as insurance??

cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #26
umtduckhead

just in time for shark week on discovery!

oops didnt read all the post..
umtduckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #27
maui jim

Back in June, a firefighter was reported missing in the Gaviota area, and was never found, they did recover his kayak and some personal items, I'm not sure but I think his kayak was red also.

I'm just wondering if this is connected in some way. I was in Carpinteria(Santa Barbara) the first week of July and the life gaurd told me to be careful in the area.

interesting...........
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
kayakhunter

My wife and I had a run in with one out of Newport last spring. It was circling the buoy outside the harbor, the dorsal was about 3ft. out of the water.

We were about 50 yards away when we saw it and we hastily turned around back to the harbor.

It was her first and last time in the ocean in a kayak.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #29
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboybill View Post
http://www.sharkshield.com/Content/Home/

I like the idea of this, but at $700.....

But $700 sounds cheap as insurance??

cowboybill

http://www.uberreview.com/2008/03/sh...n-by-shark.htm

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #30
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
This is the part that weirded me out......considering it has the jaw power to chomp down on a kayak like it was a pad of butter...
Sort of like it's teeth were stuck or it was waiting,waiting,waiting for some kind of taste/movement to chomp down on.....Like a frikken cat and a mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarack Studios View Post
its only pure speculation, but Id bet that once whitey bit down on the yak, he probably realized that it wasn't food. So he just sat there figuring out what to do next... Good thing for the yakker whitey let go.
you guys haven't been watching shark week.

the whites have around as much chomping power as a human, it's the teeth that do the damage.

so in other words, when the shark attacked, he realized he wasn't getting through the hull and gave up.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #31
PAL

This incident is similar to the one out of Bean Hollow 3 years ago, only that one started with a strike that threw the kayak angler into the water.

The damage looks nearly identical, just a bunch of almost minor scratches and a small hole punch or two.

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to mention the guy who went missing a while back. I think a link is unlikely, but don't have any basis for the opinion other than it doesn't seem right. So many other explanations make more sense.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #32
tony

As I understand it this guys kayak was constructed mostly from 4mm plywood and fiberglass coated....
Is there that much difference between his kayak and this?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...772454500.html

or this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...hark-head.html

I'm going to take a bite out of my surfboard and then my kayak and get back to you......
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #33
tony

This guy didnt watch Shark Week either.....

http://www.nsri.org.za/new/NewsArticle.asp?newsID=34

Granted, a surf ski isnt roto-molded plastic (which would bend quite a bit before it cracked).....but neither was duane's kayak
Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #34
maui jim

The Taxman in the gray suit He's there more than you know.......He just checks in once in awhile, to let you know your in his house. Been surfing for years and have seen sharks on 3 occasions, I dont know what kind they were. Never any issues, but make you feel a bit small...You can make it creepy as you want it to.. but I've never been hit by lightning either, but I still like to go out in the rain.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #35
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
As I understand it this guys kayak was constructed mostly from 4mm plywood and fiberglass coated....
Is there that much difference between his kayak and this?
Kayak - Plywood
Surfboard - Styrofoam
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #36
tony

Yes....the core of a surfboard is foam. But the skin of a surfboard (top & bottom) is 3 to 5 layers of 4-6oz fiberglass cloth and layers of polyester or epoxy resin. Also there would be 1 to 3 , 4-6mm wooden stringers reinforcing the foam. Granted some stringers are balsa.....
4mm plywood is not much thicker than your average cardboard box.I dont see a night & day difference between the skin of a surfboard and 4mm of plywood. I have repaired surfboards in the past but have no experience building wooden kayaks so perhaps the wooden kayak builders could chime in here.....
I still cant help but think that a 15ft GWS could have obliterated this kayak if it wanted to....
Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #37
deepdvr

An abalone diver up in norcal got decapitated by a great white. I'd say that would indicate a decent bite strength.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote