Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
kaya_one

Eagle Cuda 250 FF help?

Looking for anyone who has owned and operated a Eagle Cuda 250 fishfinder. The center button (with the up-down-left-right options) stopped working. Too bad because the whole ff is shot if this button doesn't function.
Anyone have this issue?
How do I fix it?

I bought this ff with the kayak over summer and it must be at least 4 years old. Any idea if Eagle is willing to fix if I pay?

There are 4 or 6 star-head screws on the back side. If I get it open any idea if I can fix it?

Any help is much appreciated. I am just trying to get rolling and up to speed since I am a newbie and don't want to get set back by having to buy another ff.
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
Cbad Mike

My 350 had the same problem with part of the arrow button and another button not working. I got so frustrated working around those buttons that I was ready to by a new one. I figured what the hell, its already broke so Ill atleast try to fix it. I took it apart and ended up fixing it myself in about a half an hour which is real cool because I didnt really have the money to spend on a new one. Now it works like new. DONT trash it yet. If your worried about taking it apart and trying to fix it on your own let me know. Since your close (Encinitas) Id be willing to meet and try to fix it for you. I cant guarantee anything but its worth a try.

Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Call eagle and ask if they could help. The websites eaglenav.com . Its worth a try to fix it So look around on google there may be some info on it. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
kaya_one

CBadMike, Thanks for the encouragement. I'll open 'er up one of these days. I did notice one of the screws is missing so maybe there is some salt or water that has seeped inside. I really appreciate the offer that you would come check it out if my work goes awry - I'll be pm'ing you if I need some assistance.

I sense this ff is kinda malfunctioning because it works a bit quirky. For example, it gets stuck in the dual view mode with the side-by-side screens (I think it is sonar/map) and I recently can't get it to just display sonar.

Biggameaddict, I got to Eaglenav.com. Looks like I'll need to call them since they won't accept my return request. Eagle claims they stand by their products, but due to how old this unit is I am sure they will want some payment since out of warranty. We'll see.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
My 350 had the same problem with part of the arrow button and another button not working. I got so frustrated working around those buttons that I was ready to by a new one. I figured what the hell, its already broke so Ill atleast try to fix it. I took it apart and ended up fixing it myself in about a half an hour which is real cool because I didnt really have the money to spend on a new one. Now it works like new. DONT trash it yet. If your worried about taking it apart and trying to fix it on your own let me know. Since your close (Encinitas) Id be willing to meet and try to fix it for you. I cant guarantee anything but its worth a try.

Mike
That's super cool of you to offer help like that...You're a good guy Mike..it's guys like you that make BWE an awesome place.

Good on you!
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
jorluivil

I say open it and give it a shot. If that doesn't work you're no better than you were before you took it apart

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Cbad Mike

[QUOTE=kaya_one;141166]

I sense this ff is kinda malfunctioning because it works a bit quirky. For example, it gets stuck in the dual view mode with the side-by-side screens (I think it is sonar/map) and I recently can't get it to just display sonar./QUOTE]

That's kinda what was happening to mine. It would get stuck on screens but the buttons wouldn't work to change the screen. If you want to try it yourself then try cleaning the small areas that the buttons touch the board. You will see how the buttons work when you take it apart. I used a Qtip and rubbing alcohol to lightly clean the connection points on both the board and the bottom of the buttons. It was pretty easy.
Good luck, let me know if you need help.
Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 AM   #8
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya_one View Post
CBadMike, Thanks for the encouragement. I'll open 'er up one of these days. I did notice one of the screws is missing so maybe there is some salt or water that has seeped inside. I really appreciate the offer that you would come check it out if my work goes awry - I'll be pm'ing you if I need some assistance.

I sense this ff is kinda malfunctioning because it works a bit quirky. For example, it gets stuck in the dual view mode with the side-by-side screens (I think it is sonar/map) and I recently can't get it to just display sonar.

Biggameaddict, I got to Eaglenav.com. Looks like I'll need to call them since they won't accept my return request. Eagle claims they stand by their products, but due to how old this unit is I am sure they will want some payment since out of warranty. We'll see.
I know they dont make the cuda 350 anymore but im not sure about the 250. Call them and demand they send you a replacement mark-4 ! Lol good luck though.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
kaya_one

I still need help. ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED.
I got this 250 open and can't seem to get to the buttons. There are 3 plastic clips that I need to open up - one broke and the others won't budge - so I am thinking I can't manage this on my own.

Anyone have any experience with EagleNav repair? On 2 occasions I can't get them on the phone. The web says I need a "registered product" and then get a "return authorization". Will they even take this antique in? I'll try them on 12/26th.

I searched here and one guy said FFs in general seem to break after a couple of years so wondering if anyone has input (let me know).

And lastly, anyone got a used ff on the cheap - looking for options?

Tags
eagle, fff, fish finder, fishfinder, lowrance