Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2023, 11:54 AM   #1
Cactus Chris
Junior

Access to open ocean from Carlsbad lagoon?

Hey guys I'm new at kayak fishing and it looks like the Carlsbad area has some good offshore structure that would be good to fish, but I'm still a little chicken about the idea of surf launching. I'm curious if you can launch in the lagoon and access the open ocean from there. I tried Googling and doing a search here and couldn't find any specifics
Cactus Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 05:12 AM   #2
monstahfish

The first thing I would say is don't try it from a safety standpoint. The current by the bridge is absolutely vicious and depending on swell and tide you'd be way safer trying the surf launch. Second issue is you're not supposed to paddle in the front lagoon. People sometimes do it but I've heard of a few people getting ticketed by fish and game. Sorry to burst your bubble. I would do it myself as I live on the lagoon but it's just not worth the risk.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 06:16 AM   #3
Cactus Chris
Junior

Thanks for the reply. Do you fish the Carlsbad coast?
Old 04-16-2023, 09:23 AM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I have seen days at the foot of Carlsbad village dr.....

Where the surf is ankle slappers.
It's the afternoon you have to worry about.
You need to go with an empty kayak and play in the surf,so you get good at lauching and coming in.
Gas must be an issue or you could do the smart thing and just go to la Jolla. Or launch in ocean side harbor.
Who knows what you can take on, once you get good in the surf 🏄 always tight lines, you will see when you fish two poles in the wind.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:06 AM   #5
Cactus Chris
Junior

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely work up to surf launching. I imagine my first will be LJ, but I'm just daydreaming looking at different sections of the coast that have good conditions and the canyon of Cbad looks like a pretty fishy feature. I considered launching from Oside to get there, but it looks like a pretty long run from there to the canyon
Old 04-16-2023, 12:02 PM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

If you ever find yourself coming in

Big ....just let your kayak go....it will wind-up on the beach and swim 🏊 in. I almost pulled my arm out of socket trying to hold on to my kayak. When its small you can hold on. And I always got off my kayak as soon as I could touch bottom. Chest high water at the deepest. I
also paddled in backwards when you see a breaker coming, just punch thru it and start back paddling again it's fun. I had ocean kayaks, scupper pro, Malibu double and a cobra fish and dive.
I can't speak for hobies, or other kayaks.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 04-16-2023 at 01:38 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 12:07 PM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

All it takes is a one ft wave to flip you over.

Thats why I get off asap.Some guys have been trapped under heavy kayaks no joke.
I also already took dive fins, would never be caught dead in the ocean with out them.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 04-16-2023 at 02:01 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 05:31 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chris View Post
Hey guys I'm new at kayak fishing and it looks like the Carlsbad area has some good offshore structure that would be good to fish, but I'm still a little chicken about the idea of surf launching. I'm curious if you can launch in the lagoon and access the open ocean from there. I tried Googling and doing a search here and couldn't find any specifics
On top of what Monstahfish said, you can see photos of the lagoon entrance on google maps. It looks like there are lots of sandbars with breaks. Better off with a beach launch. Practice with the stripped kayak as Mitch suggests. Good luck.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 06:15 AM   #9
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I'll pass on, what was passed on to me.

In la Jolla coming in, facing east.
When you get close enough to see the launch and surf.
South of the launch is a sea-wall.
You can gauge how big the afternoon surf is by looking at the rollers going down that wall.
The more white water you see the bigger the surf.
It good to know so you don't get lazy storing gear and tying or leaching poles. Keep it simple at first, the better you get, the more gear ⚙️ I think every kayaker has a list of gear lost, I know I do. First thing comes to mind is a buck knife that slid thru the scupper hole 🕳
Old 04-17-2023, 06:33 AM   #10
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

If you fish with braided line.....

I always had a board knife with a retractable hook blade and a whistle around my neck on a leash. And my swim fins on the back of my kayak I weight 265 and
was always prepared for bear 🐻