Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How's June 27 for a tournament to raise cash for the MLPA battle?
Yes - I want to whack fish and raise cash for the KFACA / PSO. Benefit tourney baby! 47 81.03%
No thanks, just close La Jolla already. 3 5.17%
I would but that date blows. How about we do it on... 2 3.45%
Let's do something else instead. Topless kayak wash anyone? 8 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
fryguy

im in too.

and I'll donate any winnings that I get to the fight.

(don't worry..I'm a noob....I only catch bait)
fryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #22
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I'm a marketing guy and this kind of thing gets my juices going.

How about this as an idea. Since most of us are not good enough fishers to win anything, forget offering a cash prize and promote the tournament as a way to help the cause. The winner(s), in various categories would get something small like a trophy, t-shirt or some other nominal reward.

Everyone who enters would have an equal chance at raffle type prizes, some purchased with entry fees, others donated. Winners should not have to be present to win in case some people give up and head out early.

If this idea is adopted, someone should hit up all the usual suspects with a vested interest in this project to try to build up as big of a prize cache as possible.

My guess is that almost every business that relies on coastal fishing for some of its income will want to participate. At the minimum they should be willing to offer prizes at their cost. Many others will look at this as a way to earn a tax deduction and donate surplus or outdated inventory. It could be a win-win for everyone.

In addition, everyone who enters would be invited to attend a BBQ with food and maybe drinks provided. Depending on where the party is held, serving alcohol may be a problem and maybe you will have to charge for these kinds of drinks. I recommend against a dry event because that would significantly reduce attendance. Those who attend the BBQ could be offered the opportunity to buy additional raffle tickets.

Those who want to support the cause will not be influenced by the cost up to about $50. Maybe you could offer a family discount for two or more people and some sort of a "corporate" sponsorship.

Assuming that this or something similar is adopted as the plan, the most important thing will be to sell the event. I am sure that there are many of us in the kayak fishing community who could help in this area. I am throwing my hat in. Anyone else interested?

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 04-18-2009 at 07:06 PM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #23
dorado50

No need to turn something so simple into major production. A simple cheap trophy to the winner. Bring a dish from home for lunch. This is about the fight against the mlpa, not a bling thing for the entrants. 98 % of all monies to go to the cause.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #24
bellcon

dorado50 said:
Quote:
No need to turn something so simple into major production. A simple cheap trophy to the winner. Bring a dish from home for lunch. This is about the fight against the mlpa, not a bling thing for the entrants. 98 % of all monies to go to the cause.

or 99.9% goes to the cause...(simple cheap trophy...$50?, which would be the entrance fee for one guy...)
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #25
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
I think a potluck is a good idea to save costs. I know the spearos have had auctions for their used gear to go towards MLPA funds. It isn't about getting what you would selling privately, just getting some $ for the cause, but a bidding war can happen too. And someone walking away with a great deal on gear.

Does anyone have problems with having spear divers (kayak or shore divers only) enter?

"I'd like to see a mano a mano comp, between groups, and also comraderie at the end of the day. We all need to stick together in this fight!"

chris

I think comraderie at the end of the day is a given, but a competition between kayak (hook and line) anglers and spearos will never be mano a mano. This would be like a race between a car and a plane with two equally talented drivers. Especially when White Seabass are around. I have mucho respect for spearfisherman, plenty of hardcore local waterman, but in my opinion that's not a fair competion. These fish are all over the place in the kelp, but absolutely refuse to bite most of the time. I'm well aware of all the challenges involved in blasting WSB with the cold shaft, but no comparison as far as a competition between the two. I would love to see a huge spearo turn out, and I'm sure they would have more fun competing against each other, "mano a mano".

That said, I could care less about taking home a big cash prize. I'll go ahead and make a spot in my case for that blue ribbon, though . This is for the fight of our fishery, that just might be closed "forever". I would have no problem with a $50 entry fee, but agree we shouldn't exclude anyone who feels that's a little steep. Whether we're dealt a seven deuce off suit or a pair of aces we should do everything we can to extract maximum dollar, my .02 .

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 04-19-2009 at 11:10 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #26
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Sweeeeet.....someone else voted for this choice set by Paul...

Let's do something else instead. Topless kayak wash anyone?

I think a potluck is a great idea, I have been to 2 of the Baytubers events, and it worked out well, no, great. Especially nice was how everyone felt part of the vibe since they pitched in. I also think bringing gear you don't use for a raffle is a great idea, with all monies donated to the cause, and maybe allow those that sell things related to kayak/spearing to partake as well.

Awarding the winner a trophy is absurd. They are not made of silver anymore, and all you can do is put them on a desk, a mantle, wherever. A plaque framed in wood would be better, just my opinion, or 2 centavos.
Cost would be roughly the same, and a tradition would be carried on for the next event.

As mentioned, a raffle is a grand idea for the fact that you would have to buy extra tickets to increase your odds with the profits from the tickets going straight to the fund. I can recall someone buying 100 raffle tickets at the Sammons tourney and getting skunked...won't mention names, you know who you are...And, if you don't want/need what you won, pass it along, (karma) let someone else get a shot.

By the way, Clay wants to be the 9th entrant, since he's 9...Paul, appease him...he may donate some of his Bakugans towards the cause...
I'm sure there are some fathers/uncles who have 7, 8, or 9 year olds who can't do without Bakugans...

I will be donating some items for a raffle, and will throw in a surprise for those who have quilters in the family.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #27
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I think comraderie at the end of the day is a given, but a competition between kayak (hook and line) anglers and spearos will never be mano a mano. This would be like a race between a car and a plane with two equally talented drivers. Especially when White Seabass are around. I have mucho respect for spearfisherman, plenty of hardcore local waterman, but in my opinion that's not a fair competion.
Josh it is for a great cause & an ultimately insignificant (read fun) trophy. What is significant is bringing all parties together.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #28
THE DARKHORSE

I think that's pretty obvious, Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Josh it is for a great cause & an ultimately insignificant (read fun) trophy. What is significant is bringing all parties together.
But, doesn't change anything I said .

I can't possibly see why spearos wouldn't want to compete in a "spearfishing" divison. I would love to see a huge spearfisherman turnout. And I'm pretty sure all parties are together on not losing La Jolla forever .
Old 04-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #29
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

There wasn't a major turnout for The Moyer spearo division, so I was thinking of a combination, but who cares, two divisions is fine. The cause is most important. I think I will kayak fish, the water has been sharky lately.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #30
PAL

Thanks for the great responses everyone.

I noticed some common threads.

1. Lower entry fee so more people can participate. Let's say $35. Further, we're trying to keep things open for our kids - I say let's get them out there for zero smackers to compete in their own division.

2. People recognize this is a fund raiser with the deadly serious aim of hanging onto our fishing spots. No cash awards, but we'll come up with plaques or trophies for Big Fish, C&R Bass, and Spearo that shout bragging rights. Any artists here? The guys up north at NCKA are great at hand-rolling rewards. I'll dig up a photo or two.

3. I was looking for the easy way out - weigh in, snacks and drinks on the boat. I was wrong! We need to get together on shore somewhere. We'll provide drinks and something basic like Costco dogs. Bringing something potluck style aka Baytubers will be welcome but voluntary.

But here's the big question. Where? We can't do this on the beach in June, its a no-go in summer. Kate Sessions? Mission Bay?

4. Our industry friends are hurting big-time in this economy, so don't expect too much in the way of sponsor prizes. I'm sure we'll have some for a cash raffle or auction. Donated gear will be gratefully accepted for raffle / auction / private party sale - if you're not using it anyway, put it to work to help preserve your future fishing access.

5. I'll come up with something to recognize the most impressive performance of the day - doesn't matter if you skewered it or got it on a Snoopy pole. The crowd will of course have its say.

6. Somebody figure out a name for this thing - please.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #31
Corey

Count me in, Paul. Let me know if there's any way I can help out.

I vote to call it the La Jolla Sea Kitten Shootout.

Kellog Park would probably work for post-tourney festivities, but if you think it would be too crowded, one of the grassy areas near DeAnza on MB would be convenient since it is right off of the 5 at Clairemont exit.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #32
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I vote to call it the La Jolla Sea Kitten Shootout.

Kellog Park would probably work for post-tourney festivities, but if you think it would be too crowded, one of the grassy areas near DeAnza on MB would be convenient since it is right off of the 5 at Clairemont exit.
Haha, that is funny name!

I was thinking the same thing for Kellog, I think it is possible, and also De Anza, there are bathrooms near by, easy to get to off the 5. Not sure about parking in June though.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #33
PAL

The problem with Kellogg Park is the red tape. Any gathering of 75 or more requires a permit, which are not issued during summer. Its too bad - we can fly under the radar with 50 or 60, but I'm hoping for a better turn-out.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #34
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Somebody figure out a name for this thing - please.

How about this one Paul?

Was thinking of Fishers Against Undermining Coastal Kayaking....
but didn't think you'd go for that one...sums it up nicely though...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #35
Sherm

I'm in. Just keep us posted Paul.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #36
Billy V

Mission Bay Park @ the Clairemont Dr. exit has a wide section of Grass that is close to the bathrooms.

Just a hundred yards to the South, past the Visitors Center there are lots of shady spots, and parking @ the curb. I've done BBQ's w/ 50 people there before.

I'm in.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #37
SeaEagle_1

i am good with the date, i don't foresee any date conflicts of my own with that. I LOVE THE IDEA OF A FISHIG TOURNAMENT to battle these guys, doing exactly what they want to close us down for doing! BRILLIANT!!!

my 2 cents here, i think the $50 is a good price. i would even be willing to pay more to fight these guys! but money is tight for most of us i am assuming. i also think that what this tournament is for, why it is being put on, that ALL THE MONEY SHOULD GO TOWARD THE FIGHT!!! i am sure we can get some prizes and goodies even if they aren't pricy. and i hope i am not stepping out of line here as i have not spoken to the admin about this, but i should be able to provide some free stuff for those that attend.

and i also think the work shop is a cool idea. i myself would like to attend one of these and learn more.
SeaEagle_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 AM   #38
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Paul, if you want a weigh boat, I would be happy to shuttle you around as well. Bring a Jig Stick with a Taddy 45...

Let me know,

chris
Old 04-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #39
DESTROYER

Lebo- Let me know what I can do to help. June 26-28 is the Bloody Decks YT Shootout, FYI. I've done a few Tournaments in my day and know how hard it is to organize. I've got some ideas for you. Ballast Point would supply the beer for sure if we want to go that route. Food is easy, just need to get some volunteers to cook. My family is usually down for that. Give me a call and we can go into more detail. My boat is also available.

Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #40
csharon
Junior

My son and I are in. We're pretty new to the sport, but want to defend our right to get skunked locally! I'm a database guy, and am willing to help with organizing in any way possible.

Curt
csharon is offline   Reply With Quote