Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How's June 27 for a tournament to raise cash for the MLPA battle?
Yes - I want to whack fish and raise cash for the KFACA / PSO. Benefit tourney baby! 47 81.03%
No thanks, just close La Jolla already. 3 5.17%
I would but that date blows. How about we do it on... 2 3.45%
Let's do something else instead. Topless kayak wash anyone? 8 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #41
PAL

Quote:
June 26-28 is the Bloody Decks YT Shootout, FYI.
Crud. Back to the calendar. Probably a lot of boats out for the BD deal. Anyone know the LJ impact?
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #42
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Impact would be about the same if not heavier than when everyone found out about the esqueeeed spawn...esp if the YT go off in LJ at that time frame, maybe one of the reasons they picked that weekend...yikes.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #43
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I fished the BD shootout last year. Not too many boats in LJ. How it is this year will likely depend on the bite. Still, not the best day to do it. I think an earlier date would be better. The sooner the better before everyone loses interest. Sometime in May?

Simple potluck or hot dogs gets my vote too. We are fisherman, we don't need a catered pampered meal after fishing all day.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #44
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

May 9th and 23rd not good for me, although if scheduled on those days, I am donating an entry fee anyway. Spare all you guys my victorious win!!! j/k

chris

PS: I hope not to start reply's of which dates people can't attend, because that will cause a scheduling nightmare for the organizers. I was just invested in this thread, so I don't want to seem like a dead beat if it is on those days I don't show up!

Paul, please schedule any date that works good for you!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #45
kurt

I was thinking that at some point we should get all the kayaks together on the water as a group, everyone holding up signs, Save LJ, etc., get some photos to show at the MLPA meetings.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #46
PAL

How about June 13? I also looked at June 6 and May 30, but the tides are pretty flat those days.

Quote:
I was thinking that at some point we should get all the kayaks together on the water as a group, everyone holding up signs, Save LJ, etc., get some photos to show at the MLPA meetings.
Hell yes! That's what I was thinking about when I suggested an on the water weigh-in.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #47
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Any day that doesn't conflict with another major fishing event is good. I think that is more important than good fishing tides. Make it less a fishing tournament and more a publicity stunt/fundraiser. The competitive part should not be the main component. This is about raising money and getting good press.

My biggest worry is turn out. Fisherman have shown to be bad in turning out for this kind of thing.

The public thinks of us as an amusing, harmless, intriguing, oddity among fisherman. Never once have a gotten a PETA comment on the beach after kayak fishing. I think awareness would get us some good will and couldn't hurt.

Just my thoughts.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 AM   #48
bellcon

BUMP

***BUMP***

Because of my inability to attend yesterdays meeting
and because of the efforts of all those who did attend

I am making another donation today
JOIN ME!

(think about the monies these fellow kayak fishermen lost in wages, time and gas alone)

Clay, again---->
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #49
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Don, thanks again for another donation, it is appreciated. I am gonna try to make ALL the meetings here out on, but if not, due to work, or familia, I will pledge to donate due to my absence as well!!!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 AM   #50
Matt
Support your local pangas

I am in for the tourney and any beauracratic BS ...err...I mean MLPA meetings too!! Donation being made also...
Old 04-29-2009, 08:07 AM   #51
Margarita Mike

I'm in. Everyone is safe. All I do is the fish, easier to release that way.

Would be a Great time just hanging out and doing something for the battle.

No Money payback, use it for the battle, thats what this is about anyhow.

Margarita Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #52
1Flatfish
Wayne

Tourney/Tides

I'm no expert, so I may be wrong. But do tides make much of a difference in the big pond? I understand the importance in the bays, but I was under the impression that tidal movement in the ocean is less important than current movement. This may be a learning moment for me. One reason that the tides may be important has to do with room on the beach. An extremely high tide could leave a large group of kayak launchers crowded into a pretty small area.
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #53
hatchetman

I have A,
West Marine Pacific rod
medium light action 12-30 lb.
with Penn 500 reel that I won at day at the docks that I can donate for a raffle prize.

Also have a used short Calcutta gaff to throw in

I think with the tough economy that any tourney should open to anyone, the entry fee being strictly a what ever you can afford donation. No prizes, just bragging rights with a bragging thread for top anglers. raffle tickets should be $1.00 each, used items by silent auction on the day of the event or on a for sale thread to raising funds for the cause. In N Out has a trailer that they send out for fundraisers that may make the food easier if enough interest and could help raise money as well.

Is there a location to drop off donation for raffle and auction items yet.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #54
PAL

Thanks for bearing with me. I hope to have most of the details settled by next week. Preparing for the just concluded 3-day MLPA meeting session, the most difficult yet, has drained most of my time.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #55
Geoffkoop

I'm in. I think this is a good idea.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #56
bluesquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
How about June 13?
FYI, Islander 2.5 day trip.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=4369
Also, I dove during the shootout last year, thought for sure I'd get run over but it was hardly any different.

Last edited by bluesquids; 04-30-2009 at 01:47 PM.
bluesquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #57
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesquids View Post
I am that trip as well...

Paul, make the tourney the best date that works for you. I will still donate an entry fee, if the date conflicts with my schedule in any way. BUT, whomever wins will have an asterisk * next to their win, because I wasn't in attendance!

FWIW, I don't think LJ was any more crowded during the BD Shootout last year, I know Offshore wasn't anymore crowded.

chris
Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #58
PAL

All right, original date folks, June 27, just a lot of people out enjoying LJ.

Here's the concept. $5 jackpot, $25 donation, weigh-in on the water so no need to rush about on land. Big fish, C&R bass (possibly in conjunction with a PN MBF), spearo, all with separate jackpots. Possibly a single prize for the best angling feat, determined subjectively and requiring crowd approval.

I will provide basic drinks and dogs at our post-fishing venue, location TBD but likely in the Mission Bay area. Potluck contributions a la Baytubers encouraged. Benefit raffle / silent auction (donations gratefully accepted).

I will start a new thread in the next day or so, hopefully with even more info. Please sign up, but no pre-registration necessary.

Remember, this is about three things. Celebrating La Jolla, raising cash so we can keep it open, and getting MLPA info out there. I hope you will join us, go fishing, come to the party afterwards, either or both, whatever you like.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #59
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thumbs up

Paul, I will bring a bunch of chips, and homemade Salsa, ala Baytubers pot luck style....

Should be fun!!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #60
Law Hand

Law Hand is offline   Reply With Quote