Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
skatino
Junior

June Lake Loop - Mothers Day Weekend

Went to June Lake Loop last weekend with 3 co-workers and a friend of a co-worker. While I am the only kayaker in the group....I did sneak it up with me and took it for a few spins on the lakes. First off, I would like to point out this was my first trip to the Sierra's, and I must say....BEAUTIFUL....secondly, the damn moon was full, which means it was strictly a reaction bite. I caught a total of 14 that I kept (over three days, so I was legally in possession!). Five became lunch, and the rest went home with the co-workers. Mind you, I caught by far the most, and it ranged all the way down to someone getting skunked!

Stop 1: Got into town on Thursday afternoon....grabbed a few drinks and lunch at the Tiger Bar there in town. Cool little place, I really enjoyed it. Unpacked and headed to Silver Lake. Launched the yak into a stiff wind, but its a Hobie...so it didn't mind. Trolled the lake for two rainbows on a gold and red Thomas Buoyant. Only three of the five of us caught fish that evening.

Stop 2: Woke up at the butt crack of dawn....jumped in the car and drove on down to Convict Lake. Now there wasn't supposed to be wind but there was...so the Yak stayed atop the car that day....worked really hard that day casting the shore but managed 5 rainbows. All were caught casting a gold and red Thomas Buoyant. Only one other guy in the group managed fish and he had two. Must say, what a beautiful lake.

Stop 3: Hit the local lake, June Lakefor three rainbows. Decided it would be fun to Yak the lake, but I was disappointed. My brand new Eagle Cuda 350S/Map crapped out on me. So that has to get tested this upcoming weekend before sending it back to Eagle.....sucks with the HH tourney coming up...hope my 168 will mate with the transducer. Anyways, two came on a silver kastmaster one on a silver and red Thomas Buoyant.....started heading to the beach at dark to see some shadows by the car. Got to sit just off the shoreline and watch 4 deer grazing the fields...AWESOME, would have shot pictures but it was too dark.

Stop 4: Time to do a little hiking. On the recommendation of a former guide of the area (go see Dave at Bluewaters Edge and San Diego Fly Shop in Temecula...great guy) we took the two mile hike to Parker Lake. Amazing lake, saw some monster browns....didn't catch squat in the main lake. One guy managed a rainbow and on a brown....so off to Parker Creek with one of the other guys. Managed a ton, literally a ton of native brooks and browns on a variety of spinners and flys. Biggest was about 14" brown on a midge! All of these gems went back to their waters, but I did manage a few pictures.

Stop 5: Last call, back to Silver we went. Shore fished for two small stocker rainbows and two browns. All on the Silver and Red Thomas Buoyant. Did you catch the theme of this trip. All the other guys used bait, I went the Thomas Buoyant route, and it worked very very well. Anyways, it was a good trip, and we will probably be doing it again in the fall!
skatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Awesome, these reports are going to get me up there!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Anthony179
A.T.

Nice report and nice catch. The gold and red thomas seems to work good in the Sierras lakes. I've caught fish at Lake Mary on it. Good luck on your next trip.
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
JD

Thomas Bouyant?

Can you share pics of what a "thomas bouyant" looks like? I've never heard of that.

Kastmasters, small Crocadial's and rooster tails seem to work up there. As well as somthing called a "spin a lure" but i've never heard of a thomas bouyant.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
bigbarrels

Awesome! Looks amazing!
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Awesome adventure

TB red and gold

Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
JD

Thanks Iceman,

Never heard it called that, but got a box full of em! They have never worked for me...
Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
skatino
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Awesome adventure

TB red and gold

That was it, crank it at a medium pace or troll it at about 2mph and you will do fine! The only mod I made to it was to add a split ring on the front...
skatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Awesome, these reports are going to get me up there!
Lets go Chris! Couple of Tarpon 100's......

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
steveooo

Cool Report. Red & Gold Boyant's are money.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

The blue and silver Thomas Buoyant spoons are the sure fire trout killer up here in the PacNW, my favorite kayak lure when trout are the target. I usually troll the spoon until I see fish surfacing, then I start casting.
I used to camp at Convict Lake in the spring to beat the high cost of lodging in Mammoth. After the spring time change, I'd charge Mammoth for spring snowboarding, try one of the local lakes on the way back to Convict, grab a sixer and head to the lake and fish until dark.