Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Jake92107
Ocean Beach huntr

wanting advice on fishing rods/ gear

just got a a new outback mirage from my buddy deamon..
curious as to what every1 uses on kayak..
i will be fishing mostly bays, in san diego.. not quite ready for the kelp beds, seeing as this is my first kayak..
not looking to spend a whole bunch of money, but i know u gotta shell out some moolah!
any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, and if u got any extra rods or fishing gear ... i would be interested in purchasing!
thanx!
and any helpful hints on ctaching my own bait fish..
Jake92107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake92107 View Post

and any helpful hints on ctaching my own bait fish..
in the open waters, look for the boils and the seagulls. they usually hover around the bait fish when they are boiling. also look for the bait balls on your fish finder. after you find these, then drop down a subiki rig with a large jig on the end and bob it up and down. you'll feel the line pulling and when you do you got bait. just retrieve and unhook it into your bait tank.
look under the innovations to get some ideas. there is one in there about unhooking the bait fish from your subiki.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
blitzburgh

Keep it light in the bays. Most freshwater bass rigs will do if you got em'. Medium-light to medium rods. Just make sure the rods are long enough to clear your bow. I know guys that go as light as 4lb test. I stick with 8 & 10lb myself.
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote