Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Tomol

Need La Jolla Advice

I may venture down there this weekend, and in preparation I've been combing the forum, which has been helpful. But I'm curious about how to handle my beach wheels. I'd really like to avoid bringing them with me at sea, which means taking them back to my car prior to launch (and retrieving once I return) but I seem to remember someone recommending against leaving the yak unattended. Advice?
Tomol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

I see some guys cable lock them to the telephone poles at the launch while they are fishing
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #3
Ggiannig89

I almost always leave my kayak unattended. Wouldn’t necessarily recommend it but I haven’t had a problem. Good luck
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
stevie951
Lurker

You're fine.. generally if you are there an hour or so before sun up, there is other kayakers launching with you and I believe we all follow the rules of karma so your stuff will be looked afters as if it were their buddies while you run back to your car real quick..

Same for landing.. the kayak store will likely have all their rigs out on the beach there next to their loading truck with a few workers lurking around.. Just land your rig on the beach near them, grab (or store) what you wouldn't want stolen and go back and grab your car and drive it up on the beach to load up!

If you don't have 4WD and want to drive on the beach to load/unload you can just make sure the sand is not soft packed, air down your tires to like 10psi and go get em!

I have heard of people grabbing stuff from kayaks though so just be cognizant and like I said, grab or stash what you wouldn't want stolen.. I doubt a Yuppie will know how to, or find the time to dig down inside the kayak to grab something..

Tight lines

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Use the 15 min pick up/drop off zone before and after you park to save some walking.

Carry your most valuable and easiest to steal items with you when you walk - your fishfinder, poles, etc.

Cut down your exposure with no additional effort.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
erinoo

Cable lock to telephone pole if you really think you need the wheels.
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Tomol

Thanks, all. Yeah, everything goes inside for surf entries.

Looking forward to it!
Tomol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
TJones

im looking forward to your

fish report . good luck.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:22 AM   #9
Master-baiter

If you’re that worried, buy a chain lock and lock it like mentioned above. Don’t need to walk to car either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Master-baiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #10
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinoo View Post
Cable lock to telephone pole if you really think you need the wheels.
I live near SDSU where bicycles are stolen continually in HUGE numbers. A cable lock is like nothing at all except maybe an advertisement and challenge. Just look at all the youtube videos about how to break locks..

Wheels are locked up on the beach because the owners are obviously far away and out of sight on their kayaks.

What meth-head hasn't figured out how to carry a cable cutter or bolt cutter when they lurk and stake out things to steal? Kayak wheels are expensive and easy to sell on craigslist or offerup, etc.

Sorry to say, but drug addicts and theft mentality has become a part of the urban culture in which we live.
Simple actions make us less vulnerable. Don't willingly make yourself a target of opportunity. Calculated risks are OK by choice. Foolish risks are not necessary.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-28-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #11
WARRIORMIKE

My fat ass walks it back to the truck and locks it inside. So if I can do it, you can do it........
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #12
erinoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
I live near SDSU where bicycles are stolen continually in HUGE numbers. A cable lock is like nothing at all except maybe an advertisement and challenge. Just look at all the youtube videos about how to break locks..

Wheels are locked up on the beach because the owners are obviously far away and out of sight on their kayaks.

What meth-head hasn't figured out how to carry a cable cutter or bolt cutter when they lurk and stake out things to steal? Kayak wheels are expensive and easy to sell on craigslist or offerup, etc.

Sorry to say, but drug addicts and theft mentality has become a part of the urban culture in which we live.
Simple actions make us less vulnerable. Don't willingly make yourself a target of opportunity. Calculated risks are OK by choice. Foolish risks are not necessary.

True, Locks only stop honest people. Thus is why I do not keep my wheels locked in my truck. I'd rather not have my windows busted and steal the wheels .
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #13
summers in kuwait

Personally I always bring my wheels on the boat. It adds some weight and can be awkward, but I have always done it this way. I used to live up in Nor Cal and would launch from some remote areas, so there really wasn't an option and I just got used to it. I do have a lot of faith in our community, but I prefer not to take any chances of leaving gear unattended.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #14
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
Personally I always bring my wheels on the boat. It adds some weight and can be awkward, but I have always done it this way.
+1 here. The very rear of my tank well is always occupied by my cart.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #15
bmercury

I never leave anything unattended and just strap the beach wheels over the stern of my revo. Works perfect.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #16
TJones

works of wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote