Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
bolocop

Beach and park closure San Diego

Does anyone know if this affects passage to the ocean via the LJ launch? I would guess so. Hopefully, I’m wrong!

Don’t want to be fined for launching my kayak!

Last edited by bolocop; 03-23-2020 at 07:33 PM.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
FISH11

X2
Old 03-23-2020, 10:12 PM   #3
FoodGeekFish

LJ Shores is a city beach, so yes, it is under the "umbrella" of the closures.
FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:47 AM   #4
govomit

social distance in the ocean is a given

If the surfers are in - we are in too. They are a much bigger and influential crowd.
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:02 AM   #5
FISH11

Talking

A couple guys launching right now. Also there are people walking and running on the beach, not as many as usual but there are some. The surfer are out there in numbers, cause they could give a shit right!
Old 03-24-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
FISH11

I guess the couple kayakers just timed it right they parked the truck and launched in time, cause I just saw two SDPD motorcycle cops drive down the boardwalk in front of the La Jolla Shore Hotel and they appear to be of the beach in time. wonder if they will be that lucky on the landing or will the Lifeguards call in on them.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I guess the couple kayakers just timed it right they parked the truck and launched in time, cause I just saw two SDPD motorcycle cops drive down the boardwalk in front of the La Jolla Shore Hotel and they appear to be of the beach in time. wonder if they will be that lucky on the landing or will the Lifeguards call in on them.
I wouldn’t want to be those kayakers right now. Will probably get a warning but I prefer less interaction with authorities right now. They may need an example to scare others.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
baileybikes

Pier cam shows people in the water. Damn I need to get out!
baileybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #9
baileybikes

Bays are closed too so I suppose we can't head out from there. Helicopter?
baileybikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
govomit

Thumbs down some clarity

Here you go, lifeguards responded quickly.

Q: Since beaches and parks are now closed, please advise - is surfing and kayaking allowed ? Or is ocean water off limits too?

A: SDFD City Lifeguard Service 11:41 AM (sdlg@sandiego.gov)
The City of San Diego has made the decision to close the beaches, boardwalks, and parks immediately. This includes the ocean, the bay, and the boat ramps as the result of this no water activities are allowed, no surfing, no swimming, or anytype of boating until further notice.

Regarding enforcement - still foggy.

Regarding logic and common sense - the ocean part of the decision is terrible.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #11
FISH11

During the Press Announcement yesterday the San Diego Police Chief said that the first faze (before yesterdays announcement) was education but as of the press announcement it was now the enforcement faze. That means TICKET TIME! To be fair they are trying to eliminate first responder from having to be exposed to the public needlessly.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #12
stevie951
Lurker

Dana ramp is open, just called and confirmed.. 10 bucks for parking.. Not sure if Kid Beach Lot is open though?

https://danapointharbor.com/boating/marina-info/

everingham has bait too :P

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #13
Hydronaut

Send a message via Yahoo to Hydronaut
I drove around San Diego today to verify which boat ramps and beaches were closed. Mission Bay South Shore boat launch was closed. Fiesta Island was closed. Dana Landing was closed. Shelter Island boat ramp was closed, but for some reason there were people fishing from the Shelter Island pier. Bessemer path/beach did not have signs posted. Kellogg Beach also did not have any signs posted. My wife told me that Coronado Beach is still open. I guess if you pay enough taxes, you get to keep your beach open.

Stay Safe,
Hydronaut
Hydronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:54 PM   #14
bolocop

Looks like that’s all closed now too. The Port Authority just shut down all beaches, piers, harbors and parks, etc around San Diego Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydronaut View Post
I drove around San Diego today to verify which boat ramps and beaches were closed. Mission Bay South Shore boat launch was closed. Fiesta Island was closed. Dana Landing was closed. Shelter Island boat ramp was closed, but for some reason there were people fishing from the Shelter Island pier. Bessemer path/beach did not have signs posted. Kellogg Beach also did not have any signs posted. My wife told me that Coronado Beach is still open. I guess if you pay enough taxes, you get to keep your beach open.

Stay Safe,
Hydronaut
Old 03-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #15
govomit

Thumbs down deep blue sea no more

Attached Images
File Type: jpg schooled.jpg (25.5 KB, 210 views)
Old 03-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #16
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post

Dana ramp is open, just called and confirmed.. 10 bucks for parking.. Not sure if Kid Beach Lot is open though?

https://danapointharbor.com/boating/marina-info/

everingham has bait too :P
Thanks for the update! I'll be heading out this weekend for sure
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #17
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

LJ Launch Closure

I just checked with the lifeguards along with the SD Park & Rec. Dept. As others have said, the beach and launch closures are part of a blanket closure within the city. As of today, the LJ launch is closed to all activities.

I went as far as I could up the chain of command, ending with with the Senior Park Ranger, a nice guy named Rich. He told me that while the policy is that the launch is closed, he has not, at least for the time being, been instructed to write citations. Violators will receive warnings for now but multiple offences will probably result in a ticket.

This is likely a fluid policy. As the danger wanes, I am sure that this policy will be reconsidered. That said, the squeaky wheel usually gets the most attention.

Those who live in the City of San Diego might consider politely pleading the case to their local councilperson. A reasonable suggestion would be that the launch be be accessible for kayak launching and landing, with the stipulation that appropriate social distancing is practiced and that there is no lingering in the closed area.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 03-26-2020 at 10:01 AM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:23 AM   #18
govomit

Thumbs up ocean off limits?

Some unincorporated cities do not take part in the madness. At least for surfers, at least for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardiff.jpg (51.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Carlsbad2.jpg (50.2 KB, 89 views)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #19
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Some surfers seem to be ignoring the rules, at least for the moment. I don't have big a problem with this.

The brave folks on the front lines, including first responders, health care workers and all the other people who go to work every day at "essential business" are much more likely to catch and spread the virus than a bunch of surf rats.

For the record, the only local beaches that remain open at this time are Oceanside and Coronado.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #20
iethinker

Manhattan Beach surfer issued $1,000 citation for violating beach closure order, disrespecting lifeg

https://easyreadernews.com/manhattan...ing-lifeguard/

A Manhattan Beach surfer was issued a citation that carries a fine of up to $1,000 Saturday morning, after ignoring a Los Angeles County Lifeguard’s order that he not go in the water.

“Go ahead and arrest me,” the surfer told the lifeguard before launching into what the lifeguard described as “colorful language.” The surfer then went in the water, prompting the lifeguard to call his supervisor Captain Jeff Horn, who called Manhattan police, who were patrolling the beach.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote