Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
blitzburgh

Newport 07-09-17

Apologies for the late report. Got to the launch at the CGS around 6:20a and ended up meeting a fellow BWE'r Joey (jbl_91762). We were both curious about how accurate the forecast would end up being as the past couple of trips were slightly off. Last I checked, wind was supposed to be 7 - 12mph and swells at 2-4'. Swell was pretty accurate but the wind was wrong with only a minimal breeze, almost wished it was closer to 12 because it was FRIGGIN' HOT. Started off the day searching for new stones and structure. I was in about 280' when some Terns started working a good size ball of chovies being pushed around, about 100' away from me. Booked it over and started launching a Flat Fall on top of them. Repeated this exercise over the next 10 min or so, chasing - throwing. Not even a bump. Eventally died down. Oh well . Even though there was very little current, the Rockies were on the chew. Limited out on a mixed bag of nice Reds, a Starry and a kicker of a Brown. Also got a surprise Spiny Dogfish that was hanging around a school of Reds. After I got my limit I stopped at the entrance around 10:50 to throw some plastic for fun. The Bass bite was wide open. They were slamming the 5" swimbait in the first 20' of the water column. I counted about 15 or 16 fish, at one point going 5 for 5, lots of fun. Sandies and Calico's with Keeps mixed in but all released healthy.
Sharky!

Decent Red

Slug Brown

Sandies and Checkers

Old 07-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Nice. That looks like a fun successful day on the water w good eats. Thanks for the report.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
shrkb8t
Junior

Great photos, wish i had a day like you. went out monday morning in the back bay at 19th st to do a little catch and release, used the wifes boat to keep it light and have reverse. i was fishing the docks when a single man "scull" hit me from behind took out my 30yr old fishing rod. last time out of dana point had a visit from a GW Shark. my friends are telling me to pick a safer hobby.... need to try launching at the CGS
shrkb8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Amish Ed

What a great day! Thanks for the report.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
jbl_91762

Hey Blitzburgh really late report lol! Great meeting you and I decided to try and make bait just outside the channel and watched you disappear West! Damn I lost track of you lol how far did you go? Anyhow nobody could make bait and a few PB had to finally go get bait at barge. I drifted all the way back throwing 3" swim baits but had a few strikes nothing till I hit the west docks. LMK when your going out again as I'd like to take you up on fishing and learning from you!
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrkb8t View Post
Great photos, wish i had a day like you. went out monday morning in the back bay at 19th st to do a little catch and release, used the wifes boat to keep it light and have reverse. i was fishing the docks when a single man "scull" hit me from behind took out my 30yr old fishing rod. last time out of dana point had a visit from a GW Shark. my friends are telling me to pick a safer hobby.... need to try launching at the CGS
Thanks man. Yeah some of those guys on those rigs get territorial. CGS is a great launch. I see guys launch on across on the peninsula too.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Hey Blitzburgh really late report lol! Great meeting you and I decided to try and make bait just outside the channel and watched you disappear West! Damn I lost track of you lol how far did you go? Anyhow nobody could make bait and a few PB had to finally go get bait at barge. I drifted all the way back throwing 3" swim baits but had a few strikes nothing till I hit the west docks. LMK when your going out again as I'd like to take you up on fishing and learning from you!
Anytime Joey, nice meeting you too. Not sure on exactly how far but I started working in the 300' area basically west.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #8
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
What a great day! Thanks for the report.
Thanks Ed!