Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
Southman

Newport report 8/25

Thought I'd target rockfish since it's not something I've done. Launched at the CG station around 6 am. Got bait at the bait barge. The cattle boats were lined up getting theirs. Surprised he only charged me $10.00 since I've heard bait prices went way up even for us kayak guys.

Threw a small swimbait for fun around the barge before heading out. Small calicos on almost every cast along with the occasional macs/cudas.

Went out to the buoy past the jetty then angled a little to the north west till I reached 150+ ft. Went back and forth looking for structure, but I'm not real good at reading the botttom. Saw a little something on the graph so I dropped down a chovie and got slammed by my first ever ling cod. Caught a couple small reds as well. I reeled them in slowly knowing I'd probably be sending them back down again. After a couple hours and nothing else, headed in and tried for a hali off Corona. Got one on a chovie, but certainly not a keeper.

Headed in and threw some plastics for a few more calicos. Off the water by 12:00 as the wind started coming up. All fish released and swam away happy (even the reds).
Great day on the water.

(Sorry the pic orientation is all messed up. They look right on my computer but kept showing up the wrong way.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2248.jpg (40.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2252.jpg (53.4 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2250.jpg (36.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2258.jpg (43.8 KB, 140 views)
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:50 AM   #2
ROSSOLY

Thanks for the report. I plan to fish Newport tomorrow but just stay inside the harbor. My highlight of the day may be where you began yours, just messing around the receiver, lol.
ROSSOLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:31 AM   #3
Deamon

Good job on the catches! That fish gripper...I'm not a big fan. Reveals a past injury (not bleeding). This separation is not the norm... I'm thinking it'll be a greater challenge for this fish to put food into its stomach...but I'm no expert...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (94.4 KB, 114 views)
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Sivak

Good report, thanks for the info. I went out the day before and fish the bait barge. Tons of bass (all 3 kinds), mackerel and cuda. Got one bonito as well. I was fly fishing but now I am tempted to try what you did.
Sivak is offline   Reply With Quote