Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
5-20

Xfactor -- Bed Extender Deformity -- Stand Up Assist Strap

I'm starting to become concerned about using the bed extender with my XFactor. The plastic's so soft that the yak, simply by resting on it, and as a result of being cinched down by the carry straps that are on the sides (not ends) of the yak, the hull becomes deformed easily by the time I reach my destination and I'm trying to figure out how to easily modify the bed extender so that the bottom rail does not rest directly on the extender. Any suggestions about what I might want to do about this will be appreciated!

[/URL]

Next thing -- I'm not a big fan of staying seated for hours. I love fishing topwaters and I would really like to be able to stand up easily on my yak. I'm thinking about installing a lift assist strap.

However.... I'm a little nervous about doing this. Again, the plastic malibu uses is so soft, I'm afraid I'd rip a hole in the yak if I did this through stressing that area repeatedly but I am thinking it could be done with dual anchor points that are well reinforced. Wondering if any of you guys have done this and what's worked the best.

For your viewing pleasure. Yesterday evening out of tidelands. Hoped I'd wack a corvina... threw topwater all evening without eliciting the smallest blow up! Oh well, I'll prob go out of lajolla sometime this week! Holla at me if you want some company!

[/URL]
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
bolocop

Can you turn the yak over? The rails are stronger but I can't see if you have ram mounts, etc...
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
oneyedeer

I always store and transport my yaks top side down
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Fish n Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
Can you turn the yak over? The rails are stronger but I can't see if you have ram mounts, etc...
Yes try and rest it on the rails. Or mock something up so it conforms to the contour of the hull more?

As far as the standing bar, not sure with your boat. But if you are dead set on it a PA, might be a better way to go. good luck.
Fish n Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

You have a few options here,

the first option is to turn it upside down on your truck bed
the second options is to create some kind of cushion that will hold up the side on the extender
the third options to fit some kayak saddles onto it.
the plastics flexes pretty easy and will pop out just as easy

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 07-08-2014 at 01:56 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Dannowar

get some mako saddles so it cradles the V
Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
5-20

Cool, thanks. Appreciate the suggestions. I'll look into all of that -- and the mako saddle looks good.

Bring on the thoughts about mounting a stand up assist strap.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
jruiz
Large Member

I developed a crack from loading that way. Have sinced moved to having it upside down.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
Dannowar

In my opinion, if you need help standing up, your balance isn't gonna let you stand long. I'm a very agile person with great balance and I've almost lost it while taking a leak on the malibus
Old 07-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Is the extender so high that it keeps the main portion of the yak off the bed of the truck? Are you strapping it down real tight? You can try strapping it from the back of the kayak to the extender instead of over the top of the yak. I think the best way is probably the saddle setup as mentioned. I haul my kayak without a bed extender with no problems, and I usually have some gear in it so I'd rather not transport it upside down.

For an assist strap I would attach it to the front handle attachment points.. they should be plenty strong enough.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
5-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
In my opinion, if you need help standing up, your balance isn't gonna let you stand long. I'm a very agile person with great balance and I've almost lost it while taking a leak on the malibus

Haha, well, if I fall overboard, I'll climb in and do it all over again. How does that saying go... a little water's never hurt anyone...

It's just a little awkward trying to stand up from such a low position with your body essentially splayed out and your butt on the yak. It's not the way most people normally get up from the ground or a similar position. I'd just like to make doing that a little easier.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
5-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Is the extender so high that it keeps the main portion of the yak off the bed of the truck? Are you strapping it down real tight? You can try strapping it from the back of the kayak to the extender instead of over the top of the yak. I think the best way is probably the saddle setup as mentioned. I haul my kayak without a bed extender with no problems, and I usually have some gear in it so I'd rather not transport it upside down.

For an assist strap I would attach it to the front handle attachment points.. they should be plenty strong enough.

The extender's as level with the bed as it can be -- in the lowest setting. I'll fool around with all of that a little more.

Thanks for the suggestion about the strap -- I briefly thought about doing that, but I also wondered if having the anchor point so far up front would let the front of the yak pivot or shift when I put my weight on it and that maybe it wouldn't be a very stable feeling. But that is a good suggestion and I can always loop a rope around the handle and give it a shot and see how that goes!

Thinking about hitting lajolla tmw am........

:wsb :
Old 07-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
tomahawk

Upside down is the easiest solution. Malibu says not to store it on the bottom and I would think that translates to hauling unless you use saddles. I have 2 other suggestions. One use 2 pieces of 2" pvc about 6 feet long, that rest on the extender and in the bed. Nestle them in the grooves in the hull nearest the center. those are reasonably flat and the pvc will create a nice uniform support and distribute the load. This is much better than the point load you are currently applying to the hull. Second stand the kayak on edge with one bulkhead on the extender. Place a 2x4 across the floor of the bed directly under the other bulkhead. Secure the kayak in the vertical position. You might need to add a post similar to the yakima hull stacker. However you do it don't over tighten the hold down straps. The straps holding hull down just need to be snug. Of course you need straps from the back of the bed to the center/middle of kayak.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #14
PescadorPete

I use rollers:

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #15
bwana

I have been using a bed extender for years.

Last Friday I was at a lake and discovered over two gallons of water inside my kayak. Lately it has been getting worse each trip offshore. I thought my hatches were leaking. No waves crashing over deck that day so hatch leaks could not be the cause. When I cleaned it, flipped it upside down to examine the hull. Found a 1.5” crack at a scupper hole. I caused the problem from using ratcheting ties downs on top of the bed extender. Over the years I tied them down too tight and stressed out the spot. My extender also has a homemade roller covered in a pool noodle and duct tape. Also transported at times with too much weight on the kayak such as Eclipse Hoop nets piled high.

Went to Andy at OEX Sunset Beach and he did a great job fixing a difficult stress point.

This discussion is timely as I am trying to figure out a better method too. I appreciate Tomahawk's suggestions that I would never have thought of such as using lengths of 2" PVC. I too want to transport right side up as I have hard rigged accessories that would take too much time to take off and put back on each trip to transport upside down. A 2 x 4 rack in the bed may be the other way to go to transport on its side.

Thanks again, keep the ideas coming...
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
LDO10

As far as anchoring your support straps, it would be important to use a good sized backing plate on nuts or screws on the inside part of your kayak. This will help distribute the weight across a large area reducing chance of pull out. Might look at the stand up bar that is made for the PA, might get some ideas.

Good luck.

Les
LDO10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #17
chxh8me

Might not be perfect, but Darby makes a foam kayak pad that fits over the bed extender. It has some contour to it, but it probably won't be perfect. It runs $16 on etrailer.com.
I have a bed extender on the way and was thinking about trying it out. But I do like the roller idea for easy loading and unloading.
I have some extra yakima landshark saddles... Maybe I'll try and adapt those.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote