Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
FatAmy
Junior

Intro and Recommendations

I have been spearfishing in the SD area for the past few years. I have been looking to get a kayak to help extend my range and allow me to fish while going in between dive spots, or fish on days where getting in the water looks less fun than being on it. I am coming off a deployment in the next week or so, and I am looking to buy a kayak when I get back. My experience with kayaks is renting a kayak at Dana Point right before deployment and spearing off a Malibu Mini X. When I reentered I had all my gear on top, but not secured and dumped the kayak. After much swearing I realized I lost my fins, weight belt, and mask, but managed to save my gun. Even after that though, I managed to really enjoy paddling back in. So I think having my own kayak and managing not to lose my gear will make me enjoy kayak fishing that much more.

I think I have settled on a Wilderness System Radar 135. I want the option to add pedals at a later date and I think the ability for the seat to fold up and have a large deck for me to reenter from diving are ideal. The Radar 135 looks to also have an ample amount of primary stability if anyone can confirm that. I am looking at the package deal on the kayakfishingsupplies website, here:

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ishing-package

From what I understand this is the online store for OEX Mission Bay. I was wondering what recommendations people had outside of the package listed above. I was looking at upgrading to a Dragonfly Pro 5 in lieu of the Hook 2 4X. I already have all the spearfishing gear, and two 8ft rods, but that is it. Things that I can think of off the top of my head that I would want to also get would be an anchor system because I don't want to haul around the boat with me, a PFD, a hand held maritime radio, a Plano box for lure for the fishing rods, a gaff, a cooler bag to store fish, a dive flag and leashes for every piece of gear.

I have looked on spearboard, but wanted to reach out to local guys who can help me with the kayak fishing side. Appreciate any input.
FatAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Hunters Pa

First off, thank you for your service

There are some Battle of the Bays events coming up where you can check out how others have theirs rigged for fishing. The recurring recommendation is to paddle different models, preferable with the gear you plan on taking often, before you buy. OEX will not steer you wrong.

Sounds like you have done some homework and have safety gear on your list. Best place to start.

Can't comment on the dive portion, but there are enough on here that someone should chime in soon.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Tomol

I just went through this process a couple of months ago, moving to a kayak after 30 years of diving out of small Whalers. This forum has been a wealth of info, and kayaking in general has been far more fun than I ever anticipated. It also didn't hurt that in my first dive as I was getting ready to load my gun the biggest wsb I've ever seen lazily swam up to within about 12 feet of me and gave me the finger and swam off while I stared after him impotently. That didn't happen much with boats.

All the advice I got from spearfishermen boiled down to two overwhelming favorites: Trident 15 (older, lighter version) and Scupperpro, both of which I believe are out of production. I was seduced by the storage in the Trident.

I steered away from peddle kayaks because of all the time we spend in the kelp, but then recently, while paddling back to Dana Harbor I got passed by a guy in a Hobie like I wasn't moving. I think he was also drinking a beer. It made me realize most of our time in transit is in clear water, and since you can pull the drive out when you do get to a bed, maybe that's the way to go.

There's a guy named Big Jim who's on a spearfishing forum (not Spearboard) who has been super helpful. Look him up

If you see an old guy in a yellow Trident, stop by and say hi.

Don't forget to get a kelp clip, which is far more practical than an anchor.
Tomol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

For the handheld marine radio this one seems to be popular around here:

Standard Horizon HX870 floating Handheld VHF with Internal GPS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PM6XDNS...v_ov_lig_dp_it

-------------------

Coil leashes are expensive and there are lots of sizes and configurations that aren't particularly convenient. It's better to make a dozen or more yourself. Home made are better than name brands I've bought. Pull the strings out of standard 550 paracord, replace with a double strand of weed-whacker plastic, wrap them tight around a 1/2" wooden dowel and throw them in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. Reverse the coil for a tighter spring. Tie about a 2" loop on both ends, then they are versatile for slipping on a snap hook or a strip of Velcro around the butt of your pole, paddle, etc.

I bought a pack of 24pc 3.5" 70# nickle plated steel swivel eye bolt snap hooks on Amazon for $20. 100' hanks of paracord on Amazon is $10. A coil of weed whacker plastic at Home Depot is what? Maybe $8? You will have all the coiled lanyards you want, plus backups. Can't beat paracord for being tough.

Use some of your left over paracord to make a gaff out of a shaved down piece of shovel handle, etc. Gaff hooks at Squidco are about $6. Burn it, wrap it, varnish it and you will have a formidable bad-ass piece of art. Sign them under the varnish and give them to your friends as Christmas gifts. With a coiled lanyard.

-------------------

You sound adventurous and ambitious. What's your specialty in the military?

Post #1. Welcome.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-04-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
FatAmy
Junior

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Hunters Pa: Thanks mate. I will have to check out Battle of the Bays. I plan on trying different models out. Just because I have had a print out of the Radar above my locker doesn't mean it is the one for me lol.

Tomol: I have been spilt on the paddle or peddle. I like the Radar because I could add it later, which to my knowledge is the only kayak out there right now that does that. But I am going to try a few and see how each paddles. Where have you been storing your gun? I was thinking fish bag, fins, and gun in the aft tank well. I do plan on diving reef structure and not just staying in the kelp. I have read here that anchoring is a bad idea on open water because it can sink your kayak in heavy swell. I was thinking a bit of bungee cord tied to a retractable line tied to an anchor could be the solution?

Mr. NiceGuy: Sweet recommendation. Is there a reason why you would opt for a more expensive GPS if I want a fishfinder with GPS? Backup to a primary GPS? I will definitely be trying out that leash idea. After giving my spear gear up to Poseidon, I plan on having everything tied down or stowed. I fly 60s. I sometimes fly near La Jolla so if there is a maritime channel that is common to monitor out there, let me know and I will tell y'all where the birds are.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:49 PM   #6
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAmy View Post
I fly 60s.
Do you mean Pave Hawks?

Oh my. That's not a toy, is it?

You just gave me goose bumps.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 05-04-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
FatAmy
Junior

I fly the naval variant, sea hawks. They are pretty fun.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:37 AM   #8
Tomol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAmy View Post
Where have you been storing your gun?
Launching through surf it goes inside with everything else. Between dives the muzzle tucks under the bungees in the stern and the butt secures with the paddle keeper bungee. It’s also affixed with a lanyard to the butt as an extra precaution. When I get to the spot I just throw it in and let it hang and retrieve it once I’m in the water
Tomol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #9
GregAndrew

As far as kayaks go, the Trident in either 13 or 15 foot lengths would be good choices. The Scupper Pro and the Prowler 15 are out of production, but the Tridents are still available. You can literally store all of your gear inside the kayak for going out and coming back. Use the tankwell in the back for your cooler or your catch. And you won't be turned back at the beach when the swell is up a bit.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
sdyeti

Radar 135

I have a Radar 135 stored at the MCRD Boathouse and if you are interested I'm happy to meet up and let you give it a ride. Heck, if you're real interested I might even sell it to you for a decent deal.

But for sure befire you go anywhere dropping money test ride a few kayaks...as many as you can.
sdyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #11
equyst
Banned

sub'd to this thread
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #12
SorryCharlie

I guess I am the only diver using a peddle kayak! I know going with a peddle version is more expense but the biggest bonus to me is being able to cover more ground quicker.

The drive speeds things up getting to and from the dive spot, and I feel less drained when I get there. Also, when moving I tend to cruise the outer edge of the kelp and then pull everything up and head deeper in when I like what I see. So the drive doesn’t hinder me much there.

Drawback, storage is less available in the kayak, but I use the rear bungees to keep the large items down (fins, gun) and also leash them. Then I toss all of my smaller items in the front hatch, or in my lobster bag which is also leashed. Haven’t had any issues yet (I say while knocking on a massive piece of wood).

I started as a kayak fisherman, and then got into diving. I was tired of waiting for certain species (halibut) and figured shooting them would be easier and more satisfying. Only one of those turned out to be true...

Biggest bonus is being able to drink beer while heading back in

I’m in Carlsbad and always looking for dive buddies!
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #13
FatAmy
Junior

That makes sense. I will be bringing my gear with me to try out different boats to see what fits where.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomol View Post
Launching through surf it goes inside with everything else. Between dives the muzzle tucks under the bungees in the stern and the butt secures with the paddle keeper bungee. It’s also affixed with a lanyard to the butt as an extra precaution. When I get to the spot I just throw it in and let it hang and retrieve it once I’m in the water
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #14
FatAmy
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
I guess I am the only diver using a peddle kayak! I know going with a peddle version is more expense but the biggest bonus to me is being able to cover more ground quicker.

The drive speeds things up getting to and from the dive spot, and I feel less drained when I get there. Also, when moving I tend to cruise the outer edge of the kelp and then pull everything up and head deeper in when I like what I see. So the drive doesn’t hinder me much there.

Drawback, storage is less available in the kayak, but I use the rear bungees to keep the large items down (fins, gun) and also leash them. Then I toss all of my smaller items in the front hatch, or in my lobster bag which is also leashed. Haven’t had any issues yet (I say while knocking on a massive piece of wood).

I started as a kayak fisherman, and then got into diving. I was tired of waiting for certain species (halibut) and figured shooting them would be easier and more satisfying. Only one of those turned out to be true...

Biggest bonus is being able to drink beer while heading back in

I’m in Carlsbad and always looking for dive buddies!
That is my exact reasoning for wanting to go peddle. It may eat up some of the storage room but getting to hit different spots and get their semi quickly is the goal. I am starting to look used now that I am back home to get something with peddles right away. Seems Hobies are the most popular down here in SoCal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk