Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
TJones

it's has been a long time since i flipped ( going in )

like about a week . met with some new bwe friends at the crack of dawn . we were the first to hit the sand , pretty amazing at a spot known for surfing . we unloaded and launched at grey light in search of the grey ghosts . surf was small but no easy task . we all successfully made it out , remarkably i was the first to make it . we heading to the grounds and found some bait . we did not waste time loading up the tanks . the water was back to somewhat expected and light fog overhead . we fished hard for a hour and then it was on . my rod loaded up and my first thought was this is the highlight of the season , a 68 ' lbs SEABASS . i was using my lucky jig which i did not want to disclose this but here it is . most of my fish this season were caught on a sumo c2 . strangely enough because i am not a big jig fan . the last fish caught on the jig was around 50 lbs and twisted the jig so much it took off most of the paint and twisted the aluminum to the point that the glow in the dark material separated from the base aluminum .since it was very quiet , i thought i would break the silence and started screaming like a snitch , along with the drag . this fish was not running to the horizon , which is what i have been seeing lately . it was not running it cone shape pattern either . i had 40 Lbs top shot and 65 braid so i put the heat on . within ten minutes i knew this was not a seabass . i ruled out shark and ray, because this was more dead weight than power. finally it comes to color . i could not believe my eyes . a massive fin with a mouth . a sunfish with my jig in its mouth that tried to suck down my squid . estimated weight 95 - 130 lbs . i really did not want to cut the line and loose my lucky jig . i did not want to roll either trying to release this thing . fortunately all went well and it went unharmed , other than a lip piercing . that was mainly the highlight of the day , other than a pod of dolphins running through . the open water was like a lake , which quickly changed and it was time to head int. i was bummed i could not put my new friends on some fish , but i did reveal my secret spot . maybe next time . thanks guys for a good time together . please keep in touch .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
easyday

Cool story. Saw one of the almost beeach at la jolla it was quite a sight.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
CheapPelican

Interesting. The glow veneer came off of mine after the first several casts, but the only thing to ever hit it were huge greenbacks.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
solyluna

It was a great day on the water
I flipped too just before landing good thing I listing I to you
And got all my rods inside the yak
That x factor is a lot of kayak to drag in the sand
Thanks again
Kobi wants to hit that place again on Wednesday for afternoon
Session
solyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
GregAndrew

I had never caught one of those until a little over a year ago. Since then I have caught a bunch on everything from Irons to flylines to Dropperloops. The only thing in common was the Squid pinned to the hooks. Although they are known for eating Jellyfish, they apparently have a taste for Calamari. They are fairly easy to deal with if they are mouth hooked once you get them pointed up with their head out of the water. Fin hooked is a different story.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote