Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #21
CON KSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtesta27 View Post
Exactly what Sivak said, Clousers, clousers, and more clousers. I remember being in Gonzaga last October and I had 3 full boxes of flies tied for the trip and I never used anything but Chartreuse/white and white/white clousers the entire trip. Deceivers also work really well especially if you end up flyfishing from the Yak....

Make sure you tie a bunch of different sizes, I have some as small as 1 inch and as large as 4.5 inches.

heres my Gonzaga Bay yellowtail, first on the fly and first from the yak on a 1.5 inch chartreuse/white clouser.

Attachment 22052
Yes! That's killer - I'd be stoked to catch little yellowtail like that all day long. I'll tie up a bunch of clousers in the lengths and colors you mentioned. My SD Bay flyfishing instincts say to tie up some orange and brown ones as well. But I know the colors you mentioned are solid for Baja, in June I fished islands off of La Paz and, you're right, the best flies were chartreuse and white.
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:50 PM   #22
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
Great info - thanks!

In general, are you tying longer clousers for down there - say 4 - 5" long?

Also- I'm assuming full sinking line?

My heavier 8 and 10wts are parked outside of La Paz but I do have an Orvis Frequent Flyer 8wt that I'll bring and a TFO Mangrove 6wt.
You might try the larger flies but there is usually MICRO bait that they are feeding on, so bring both. I would concentrate in more of the 1-2.5 inch then 2-4 or 5. Full sink or heavy shooting line, I use a shooting head, but a lot of the better fly fishermen use a floating line. If the roosters show again this year an 8 wt might not do the job, I think a couple were DEMOLISHED last year. We got 35 roosters from 35-60+ pounds last summer. And another 35 from 1-20# from the beach. The big boys were ALL caught at the island. Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #23
domtesta27

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
You might try the larger flies but there is usually MICRO bait that they are feeding on, so bring both. I would concentrate in more of the 1-2.5 inch then 2-4 or 5. Full sink or heavy shooting line, I use a shooting head, but a lot of the better fly fishermen use a floating line. If the roosters show again this year an 8 wt might not do the job, I think a couple were DEMOLISHED last year. We got 35 roosters from 35-60+ pounds last summer. And another 35 from 1-20# from the beach. The big boys were ALL caught at the island. Tight Lines amigo.
You wouldn't be talking about me would you Bob??!?! LOL The pieces of what once were a 10wt rod would have to agree with you. Those big Gallos are no joke.

I'm about to order a 12-14 wt Reddington Predator for this years trip, they have a crazy amount of backbone for a fly rod
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #24
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
You wouldn't be talking about me would you Bob??!?! LOL The pieces of what once were a 10wt rod would have to agree with you. Those big Gallos are no joke.

I'm about to order a 12-14 wt Reddington Predator for this years trip, they have a crazy amount of backbone for a fly rod
Would I dog on you like that? Hell yes. Tight Lines, you going to being your fly tying stuff this year?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #25
domtesta27

Quote:
Would I dog on you like that? Hell yes. Tight Lines, you going to being your fly tying stuff this year?
I definitely can bring down all the fly tying stuff, last year I only tied one fly while I was down there, we were having too much fun eating, drinking, and enjoying everyone's company to do any actual tying.

Ill probably bring down a little emergency kit in case I run low on something.

Hows the hospital stay going Bob? You're almost out right?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #26
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Ok so I just bought a TFO BVK 10 wt fly rod and a Hatch Finatic 9+ hopefully this will work ok, will try our on the October trips but really wanted it for Asuncion Calicos.

Asuncion trip might be epic this year, tuna, wahoo, Yellows, bonito and Calicos hope everyone is ready or getting their gear in order. Full thanksgiving dinner at Rossman's place, cooked by our chef Jeff. Turkey with all the trimmings. But this is a fishing trip so if the yellows are cooperating we will fish Asuncion HARD. If slow we could take a side trip to Punta Quebrada, Punta Eugenia or Laguna Coyote or????? AND I expect to do some fossil hunting, need more shark teeth and petrefied sand dollars. Tight Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 08-04-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #27
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
I definitely can bring down all the fly tying stuff, last year I only tied one fly while I was down there, we were having too much fun eating, drinking, and enjoying everyone's company to do any actual tying.

Ill probably bring down a little emergency kit in case I run low on something.

Hows the hospital stay going Bob? You're almost out right?
Not until the 11th, about one moore week. Then 14th off to paradise.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #28
domtesta27

Quote:
Ok so I just bought a TFO BVK 10 wt fly rod and a Hatch Finatic 9+ hopefully this will work ok, will try our on the October trips but really wanted it for Asuncion Calicos.

Asuncion trip might be epic this year, tuna, wahoo, Yellows, bonito and Calicos hope everyons is ready or getting their gear in order. Full thanksgiving dinner at Rossman's place, cooked by our chef Jeff. Turkey with all the trimmings. But this is a fishing trip so if the yellows are cooperating we will fish Asuncion HARD. If slow we could take a side trip to Punta Quebrada, Punta Eugenia or Laguna Coyote or????? AND I expect to do some fossil hunting, need more shark teeth and petrefied sand dollars. Tight Lines amigos.
Bob PM me your address I want to send you a little Calico fly care package
Old 08-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #29
CON KSO

Quote:
Bob PM me your address I want to send you a little Calico fly care package
I was just trying to look up calico patterns for flies I wanted to start tying for Asuncion trip - would it be possible to post up a couple pics of your calico flies? Or if you've got a link to point me to for calico fly recipes/tying videos that would be awesome.

I have the BVK 8wt and a TFO Clouser 10wt but they are both at my friends place down in La Ventana (outside of La Paz) I'm heading down there in either Sept. or November (before our trip) so I leave them with my buddy since you can't carry them onto the plane anymore.

I love the 8wt BVK - the 10wt with my Reddington Behemoth reel on it get's tiring - specially since I'm throwing full sinking 450grain Jim Teeny lines with are beastly.

BTW that Hatch is a beautiful reel! I have Lamson Liquid reels on all my rods except for the 10wt - they're relatively cheap and the set-up I bought comes with two extra spools! I mis-treat them and they keep working.

I'm going to bring the 8 and 6 wt for the Calicos at Asuncion - if they die there, so be it.

Can't wait for that trip!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #30
Baja_Traveler

My favorite fly for just about everything bigger than a bonefish is the Game Changer articulated sardine. My first trip out with one of these I was hammering the calicos out at Zuniga jetty nearly every cast. In fact, that same fly is still on my 10 Wt over a year later - it holds up very well. Pretty easy to tie once you have the spine pieces to tie with. I found that if you tie a line to the hook eye and the other end to an overhead nail - if you pull straight down on the tail of the fly it is much easier to shape into a fish form using small scissors.
Here is a video on tying it: https://youtu.be/C4hsAERPZ4s

Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #31
domtesta27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
I was just trying to look up calico patterns for flies I wanted to start tying for Asuncion trip - would it be possible to post up a couple pics of your calico flies? Or if you've got a link to point me to for calico fly recipes/tying videos that would be awesome.

I have the BVK 8wt and a TFO Clouser 10wt but they are both at my friends place down in La Ventana (outside of La Paz) I'm heading down there in either Sept. or November (before our trip) so I leave them with my buddy since you can't carry them onto the plane anymore.

I love the 8wt BVK - the 10wt with my Reddington Behemoth reel on it get's tiring - specially since I'm throwing full sinking 450grain Jim Teeny lines with are beastly.

BTW that Hatch is a beautiful reel! I have Lamson Liquid reels on all my rods except for the 10wt - they're relatively cheap and the set-up I bought comes with two extra spools! I mis-treat them and they keep working.

I'm going to bring the 8 and 6 wt for the Calicos at Asuncion - if they die there, so be it.

Can't wait for that trip!
I'll post up some of the flies that im gonna send to bob in a few days, but there are a few good resources on the web to look at besides BWE for calico fly patterns.

Dig around at fliflicker.com that's the socal flyfishing forum.

Also google Vaughn Podmore he has a flyfishing charter out of long beach that goes to catalina and the Podmore Anchovie is a legit calico pattern.

Youtube the Calico Syndicate (they have one video just about calico fly patterns that is very helpful!)

Hope this helps!
Old 08-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #32
CON KSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
My favorite fly for just about everything bigger than a bonefish is the Game Changer articulated sardine. My first trip out with one of these I was hammering the calicos out at Zuniga jetty nearly every cast. In fact, that same fly is still on my 10 Wt over a year later - it holds up very well. Pretty easy to tie once you have the spine pieces to tie with. I found that if you tie a line to the hook eye and the other end to an overhead nail - if you pull straight down on the tail of the fly it is much easier to shape into a fish form using small scissors.
Here is a video on tying it: https://youtu.be/C4hsAERPZ4s

Now THAT is a fly! Thanks for the link- looks like I'm going to be fur and feather shopping again. What a beast that thing is.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:02 PM   #33
CON KSO

Quote:
I'll post up some of the flies that im gonna send to bob in a few days, but there are a few good resources on the web to look at besides BWE for calico fly patterns.

Dig around at fliflicker.com that's the socal flyfishing forum.

Also google Vaughn Podmore he has a flyfishing charter out of long beach that goes to catalina and the Podmore Anchovie is a legit calico pattern.

Youtube the Calico Syndicate (they have one video just about calico fly patterns that is very helpful!)

Hope this helps!
Yes- very helpful I found the fliflicker website but got caught up with fly fishing report where the guy (Kim something) and his buddy caught a hundred spotties before lunch time... I must really be doing something wrong. Did find the a short clip by Calico Syndicate guys showing off their calico flies. Will be cool to see what other fly guys are fishing down there. I can very easily bring my vise and tying stuff.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:15 AM   #34
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Put me on the list Bob....

For the full trip....i have room for one person and there kayak...split gas
Old 08-07-2017, 04:39 AM   #35
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Duke you have been added. Will you be caravaning with us? We plan on leaving early on the 20th, spend the night at gongaza then on to Asuncion day two. That makes it two 6-7 hour drives. Each will be responsible for one Dinner and we are on our own for breakfast and lunch. This will be a great trip, do you plan on bringing your canoe? Tight Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-07-2017, 05:16 AM   #36
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Yes...

Caravaning with you.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:51 AM   #37
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
OK guys, here is a half price ride to paradise, Asuncion is a great fishery for both Yellowtail and world class Calicos. Duke has room for one person AND their yak. What moore could you ask for. Tight Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #38
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Yes Bob I will be bringing my canoe and my kayak

Quote:
Duke you have been added. Will you be caravaning with us? We plan on leaving early on the 20th, spend the night at gongaza then on to Asuncion day two. That makes it two 6-7 hour drives. Each will be responsible for one Dinner and we are on our own for breakfast and lunch. This will be a great trip, do you plan on bringing your canoe? Tight Lines amigos.
And a second kayak if someone wants to go if not just me in my f250 4x4 I have a kayak rack for the second kayak
Old 08-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #39
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Two of 4 caught today.

IMG_20170807_142233 (2).jpg
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #40
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Nice...

Can't wait....