Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
cajunman

Black Sea Bass Sentencing

From the Union via another board,,

"UNION-TRIBUNE BREAKING NEWS TEAM

12:34 p.m. August 18, 2005

SEAN M. HAFFEY / Union-Tribune
San Diego Lifeguards Brian Ferguson, left, and Jeff Hatfield wheel away the giant black sea bass that was killed in a protected area in May. Two men have pleaded guilty to the killing.
SAN DIEGO – Two scuba divers pleaded guilty Thursday morning to criminal charges stemming from the spearing of an endangered fish in a protected area off La Jolla in April.
Omid Adhami, who speared the giant sea bass, pleaded guilty to the illegal taking of a protected giant sea bass. He was sentenced to three years probation, 30 days of community service and ordered to pay $1,100 in fine.

If Adhami violates any part of his probation, he faces 90 days in custody, said Deputy City Attorney Michael Rivo.

Nima Hodaji, a diver who also was in the boat, pleaded guilty to entering a marine conservation area for the purpose of taking marine resources. He was sentenced to three years probation and ordered to pay $1,100 in fines.

A sheephead fish was found in the boat at the time of the incident. Although the fish is not a protected species, it is illegal to take marine life from a conservation area such as the San Diego-La Jolla Ecological Reserve.

Both men were ordered to give up their fishing licenses and their fishing gear including the spear gun, tanks and wet suits. They will be eligible to re-apply for fishing licenses after their probation is over, Rivo said.

"We wanted to take away their ability to re-offend," Rivo said.

In July, a boat operator who carried the two spear fishermen into the ecological reserve pleaded no contest to a charge he ignored posted signs in the area, an infraction.

At Thursday's hearing, Commissioner Sandra Berry told Adhami that she believed he deserved jail time as a result of the offense. Berry said the case has stirred up a tremendous amount of public outrage.

"How dare you, that's what everyone wants to know. Do you have any answer to that?" she asked Adhami during the hearing.

"I'm sorry," Adhami replied.

Berry warned Adhami that she would send him to jail if he fails to follow the rules.

"I do believe he deserves time in custody. I will be quick to impose it if he violates any term of probation," she said. Giant sea bass, which have been protected since 1982, can live 100 years and can grow up to 7 feet long and weigh as much as 550 pounds."" end of article.

Is this stupid or what????

Quote: We wanted to take away their ability to re-offend," Rivo said.

How in the heck do they think taking away their licenses or spearguns wil stop the idiots from doing this again? IF they don't respect the law enough to not kill a Black Sea Bass, Why would they respect not fishing without a license?

Incredible!!!
cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
Croaker Dave

That's Bull

I thought that guy was a multiple felon who had done jail time. I guess the prisons must be full. I'd at least have made him scoop the furbag poop at the children's pool and keep those toilets plunged at the park by the launch. And since he's a diver, make him clean up all the lost sabiki rigs from the bottom of the kelp forest. Then I'd give him a plastic spoon and make him pick up all the seagull turds in the park before all the babies come to roll in the grass. Then I'd .....
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
Zed
BANNED

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=...tegory=Stories

Off toic, but speaking of spearing giant groupers...

"By the time Dan had his buoyancy all trimmed out, the giant Warsaw was charging at him. "Time seemed to slow down" Dan says, as years of effort, training and preparation all came into focus in a few minute struggle."

I say we send Mr. Adhami to the gulf for some 400' dives on pure O2.
That'll take away the ability to re-offend.

Sorry for the hijack. I completely agree. They got off way too easy.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
PAL

Quote:
Commissioner Sandra Berry told Adhami that she believed he deserved jail time as a result of the offense
So that's why he got off with probation? Disappointing.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
Spinal Tap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed
http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?src=...tegory=Stories

Off toic, but speaking of spearing giant groupers...

"By the time Dan had his buoyancy all trimmed out, the giant Warsaw was charging at him. "Time seemed to slow down" Dan says, as years of effort, training and preparation all came into focus in a few minute struggle."

I say we send Mr. Adhami to the gulf for some 400' dives on pure O2.
That'll take away the ability to re-offend.

Sorry for the hijack. I completely agree. They got off way too easy.

That big warsaw was a shame. That guy and his entire team were claiming that fish is an achievement for all spearfishermen around the world. I say "No thanks."

Dan, the guy who took the fish recounted that the fish came from 100' away to challenge him. That big fish stayed just a few feet from him, motionless. Dan then shot two spears in it's head. Unsure that it's dead, he hit the fish with a powerhead to finish it off.

Anyone can shoot a cow.

Even if Adhami shot that BSB in Mexican waters (where it's legal), he should be so embarrassed that he shot it in the ass. Theses fish come right up to you and you can get within touching distance. They stay so motionless for so long that even Stevie Wonder could stone one.
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
Zed
BANNED

Thanks, N8.

I don't spear so I really can't comment. But you made my point, and I agree.
I'm sure when fish (groupers) get bigger they lose their fear of other things in the water because they're generally bigger than anything they see.

Now the 400' dive. I'll give them credit for that feat. That's a lot of time underwater on tanks.

Z
Old 08-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #7
Steve P

you guys kill me....

I get a kick out of you guys! If I saw that fish I would do just about whatever it took to get it on the boat. Stone it spear it. Fish are food not friends.

Steve P
Steve P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
Spinal Tap

Zed,

I admit (to the diver even) that his dive was a technical feat. He spent 7 mins at 400' and over an hour of deco time.

Steve P,

Sure there are lots of guys that think like you. I'm not one of them. I see this as a sport. I don't consider shooting a slow growing grouper that's most likely a breeder in it's prime with two spears and then detonating a small grenade in it's head sport. But to each his own. And while you may not have read his story, he and his buddies on that dive stated that there were lots of warsaw (grouper in the picture) grouper in the 70-100lb range.

If you guys think Calicos are slow growing, imagine what a grouper growth rate chart looks like.
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
If I saw that fish I would do just about whatever it took to get it on the boat. Stone it spear it. Fish are food not friends.
Well, remember buffalo? Probably not, unless you've been to Catalina or Yellowstone recently.

They're pretty stupid. The whole herd just sits there while you brain 'em one by one from 20 yards with a 30/30 or like. Good eating too. I think I'll go shoot one. Wait...

People are stupid, and anybody can shoot a cow.

Forgive me. Back to the WCW.

Z