Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Drake

Scupper problems?

The rear compartment of my Malibu Stealth 12 filles up with water, and it just sit in it toward the sterm, weighing down the boat. We're talking about quite a few gallons. This occurs even when there is nothing in the stern of the boat, at all. It seems to be sloped to the rear and not allowing it to come out of the scuppers which are toward to front of the compartmentI carry only half the weight recomended for the boat, including my own weight.

I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem with their stealth.

Also, it always feels like I'm sitting in a puddle when I'm out, and was wondering if there were 1 way scupper plugs I can put under my seat?
Any paddle drip or water picked up launching in the surf can be able to drain out, without water coming up the scupper
Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
RK

Rear tankwell problem doesnt sound like can be fixed, bring a sponge and use that to absorb and dispose of water, when I had my stealth i would leave the seat plugs out and it worked fine never had a problem with the water builing up, had a waaaaaaaaay bigger problem with the gator hatch taking on too much water in unfavorable conditions, GALLONS..... But I can honestly say the casting platform and front molded livewell with the toggle switch are two of the coolest options offered on a kayak, I really miss them, I dont however miss feeling like i am about to sink in the dark
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
Rear tankwell problem doesnt sound like can be fixed, bring a sponge and use that to absorb and dispose of water, when I had my stealth i would leave the seat plugs out and it worked fine never had a problem with the water builing up, had a waaaaaaaaay bigger problem with the gator hatch taking on too much water in unfavorable conditions, GALLONS..... But I can honestly say the casting platform and front molded livewell with the toggle switch are two of the coolest options offered on a kayak, I really miss them, I dont however miss feeling like i am about to sink in the dark
The water just builds up in the back, regardless of how many times I bail it out. I dont know if I have a faulty yak design, which could easily be the case because I've found some rather significan imperfections. I'll definately try pulling the seat. I also had gator hatch leaking problem, but the guys at OEX showed me how to combat the leaking and so far its shown improvement
Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
RK

I just flipped the clip straps backwards on the hatch and it created the tightest seal possible, helped a lot. Not sure about the rear tank well then, unless your carrying a ton of weight back there or possibly a leak inside?
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
I just flipped the clip straps backwards on the hatch and it created the tightest seal possible, helped a lot. Not sure about the rear tank well then, unless your carrying a ton of weight back there or possibly a leak inside?
What helped the most was the new bungee knobs the put ont he bow, so i attac the bungee from the gator hatch to the knobs and it seals the gator hatch nice and tight.

No idea what causes the scupper build up, I'm going to bring it to OEX I guess and let them determine if its just a blemish kayak. It sucks dragging all that extra water weight around, 8lbs per gallon, lots of gallons lol