Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2024, 01:09 PM   #1
Salty

Long Beach 2-25-24

Not a lot to report, but thought I'd put it up here anyway. Launched out of Long Beach with my buddy Dan yesterday. Goal was to find bait then bounce-ball for halibut, then troll/jig along the breakwall and oil platform Esther. Wind was light all morning then turned on pretty strong after about noon. On the plus side, I caught two species I was hoping for: Halibut and White Sea Bass. The downside- they were tiny! Ended up with a couple calico that I released as well.

Bait barge(Nacho) is still closed due to storm damage from what I understand, so I sabiki'd all my bait. Ended up with an interesting mix of sardine, smelt, spanish and greenback. One large smelt even took my 100g jig later on which I got a chuckle from.

After the wind picked up at the oil platform, we headed for the shelter of the harbor and bounce-balled the jetty and beach on the way back to our launch point. Overall, not the most productive day, but nice to get on the water and pull on some different fish species for a change. Been on the kayak just about every weekend this year and it's mostly been a lot of bass every time. Not that that's a bad thing! But I'm always really hoping for those trophies...
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:14 PM   #2
fourtogo

Oil island

Hi how far is the platform from jetty end
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:36 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Great photos, I love seeing familiar places -- Vicariously enjoyed your adventure. Better luck next time
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 01:28 PM   #4
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

i always love any report from LB. thanks for the intel. I may start dusting off the yak and targeting halibut in the cabrillo harbor if you want to link up and cover more ground together.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:49 PM   #5
DanaYakAngler

So I haven't ventured up to Long Beach with the kayak yet. Where do most people launch from? South shore launch ramp? I want to hit the wall. Am I better off launching somewhere else? Thanks for being a great community to learn from.
DanaYakAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 03:05 PM   #6
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
i always love any report from LB. thanks for the intel. I may start dusting off the yak and targeting halibut in the cabrillo harbor if you want to link up and cover more ground together.
Hey man! Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town since 3/5 for work. Back home now and itching to get on the water. I'm always down to link up! Not sure when I'll be hitting the water next, but hopefully soon. Was going to go today, but the weather said "I don't think so..."
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote