Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
visforvegetables
Junior

new fishing kayaker

hi, i'm new to this forum and to the kayak fishing community. ive loved fishing since i was young (21 now) and after saving several paychecks, i purchased a malibu pro2 tandem (fish and dive) kayak. i chose a 2 seater as a starter so i could take out some buddies and make my trip more enjoyable. although i had to make a sacrifice for storage space on a tandem. this forum seems like a wonderful way to acquire useful information. i pick up my kayak this weekend from OEX sunset beach and im thinking about launching anywhere from balboa, huntington harbour and corona del mar. i've read about a kelp bed in CDM in which i do NOT know how to get to.. i am indeed very much new to this ocean sport and a bit unaware and inexperienced. i've reside in huntington beach for more than a decade and ought to make use of the ocean.. if anybody that's down to earth, preferably young would like to come out with me some time, catch some fish, enjoy the trip, and show me the ropes the first few times, it would be nice. looking forward to starting my ocean kayaking/fishing hobby!

also, for a bait tank, im thinking about using a discontinued Shimano Live Well container/bag. you can take a look at it here but i found it somewhere for half the price.. so note dont buy it from here!

http://shimano.fishing-store.us/shim...-live-well-bag

instead of using a pump, i'm going to use that Shimano live well with a D cell battery operated airstone aerator i could find at harbor freight or walmart for cheap... this is temporary before i would like to learn to make my own or add a pump attachment to my shimano bag. does anyone have their 2 cent on battery operated airstone kits? an example of these kits could be found in the link below. keep in mind that i have a tandem and barely have any space to spare for a bait tank! i looked into the oem malibu tandem bait tank installed in the rectangular hatch but they are well over my price range at $300 plus. i have already overspent with my new kayak along with the rest of the necessities required for this sport. help me save some bucks!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Longer-Life-Bait-Kit/14012423

thanks in advance!

Last edited by visforvegetables; 05-12-2010 at 01:22 AM.
visforvegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
Jim Sammons LJKF

Welcome to the sport. For your bait tank you really need a full circulating not an aerator if you want your baits to live. You can set up a pump on that tank pretty cheap.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
ericko

Fishing lets go

I live in HB also i might be able to go out sunday morning i will have a better idea friday. My name is Erick whats yours.
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Hunters Pa

Good call on buying from OEX Sunset. Andy won't steer you wrong
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
visforvegetables
Junior

thanks jim! i might as well just install my own pump kit on that shimano bag. i'd rather use the shimano bag then those pet food containers or buckets. that's just my own preference. maybe because the shimano bag has 4 rod holders. heh. anyone knowledgeable with the parts, and electrical/battery installation? since i dont have much room in my tandem, i would most likely put it on top of my rectangular hatch and tie it down. i've been doing a lot of research about live wells and bait tanks on forums but nothing can beat an extra hand if you're local (HB).

hey erick. my name is ronald by the way. hopefully i could get everything ready by this sunday to pick it up. my thule glide and set kayak attachment is somewhere in transit from new york at the moment! i MIGHT even be too busy to go out this weekend, perhaps next weekend. im busy with work on weekdays and i only have weekends available and this weekend happens to be busy for me since i am still in school.

OEX has wonderful staff by the way. a nice fellow named Andre helped me with my purchase. he was also very helpful with my 21 questions and also patient with the kayak sale. so good looking out.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
GregAndrew

What Jim said on the pump. You can get the pump and a 6volt 12amp battery for under $20 each. Then all you need is a little bit of wire, some terminal and heatshrink sleeve connectors, and a hose.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Good call on buying from OEX Sunset. Andy won't steer you wrong
X2!
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
fongman

Setting up a MK tandem for solo or for 2 is a challenge. If you and a buddy go out, you don't have many options for the baittank; you either cover the front or rear hatch. Depending upon which hatch you cover, you lose some or most of the internal storage.

If you decide to go out solo, your sitting position is the big issue. If you are a big guy, sitting in the back seat is not good due to the poor weight distribution. The nose of the kayak will always be in the air. Plus, if you put your bt in front of you, your rods will always be in your way when casting.

If you sit over the rectangular hatch, the weight distribution is good, but now it is inconvenient to use the internal storage. However, the bt can now be placed behind you on the rear seat well. You'll have to devise something to level that area. A pool noodle made into a donut works well.

You'll enjoy the stability of this kayak and there is a lot of deck space--you just have to figure out how to best utilize it. Paddling it by yourself isn't bad, but you will have a hard time keeping up with others in solo yaks. Also, it is a bear to paddle when the wind comes up, so make sure the wind is to your back coming back in.

Make sure you have enough (flushmount or RAM) rodholders so you can move your extra rods around. For holding 2 more rods, I made a removable pvc rodholder which mounted over the 2 rear wellnuts supplied by MK.

Enjoy your new ride!

fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
visforvegetables
Junior

thanks for your input fongman. majority of the time i will be paddling out with a buddy so i'm still thinking of a good place to put our bait tank while keeping comfort. maybe a simple 5 gallon homemade bait tank might do it... just set it on top of the rectangular hatch behind the front seat. also, i got the fish and dive version so i do have 6 mounts. that rod holder for the back seems like i could be useful to me. i would like to make one but i dont see how it attaches to your kayak in that picture.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
fongman

I thought the older models came with wellnuts placed where I have the pvc caps. Maybe for a tank strap, but I'm not sure. I don't recall ever installing wellnuts in any of my kayaks and, in that location, you would need wellnuts.

btw, one thing you'll find annoying is when some chop or a wake breaks over the tankwell, it will run down into the cockpit!
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote