Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
jorluivil

Small Formal Intro & Safety Training

So, while searching for a kayak I came across BGE and scanned the threads for a couple of days. Finally decided to hit the REGISTER button and here I am. I currently own a Wellcraft 218ccf but wanted a kayak for quite some time. I do lots of fishing solo so I wanted something that I could easily haul from LA down to the San Diego area and beyond.

After I purchased my Prowler Big Game my buddy decided he wanted to get one to so we hit the web and started another search for another kayak, we happened to find another Prowler Big Game in great shape so he purchased it.

I started the search for the safety equipment, waterproof/floating vhf, gps...etc. and came across a thread someone here posted regarding a kayak that tipped. Knowing that there was a chance that we would one day be in that situation my buddy and I decided to look into some of the ways yakkers right their kayaks and how they climb on board. After Googling for about an hour I found some useful info and decided to try it out at Mothers Beach.

The day started with a quick trip around Naples and once we got back to the beach we settled in some deeper water. Tony goes first, he intentionally tips his yak and attempts to right it himself, it was much harder than he thought it would be, getting on it ALONE was another battle. We both did a few controlled tips and climbed back on alone or with the help of your partner. After a few attempts we had it figured out.

While we were riding home we ran every scenario through our head and thought of ways to prevent them or learn from them. We haven't hit the open ocean but do plan on doing it in another week or two. We'll start locally near the PV area or the Long Beach Breakwall.

Anyway, short intro, short safety report. Can't wait to post that first pic with a monster fish on my yak!!!
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If you got anything out of all the threads you browsed hopefully you picked up these two very important recommendations.

Always wear a PFD!

Make sure that all your gear is secured below deck or with a leash.

It took only seconds the other day for a couple of guys to lose thousands of dollars of gear when their yak capsized in calm water. I was just a few feet away and could do nothing to stop it.

Whenever you go out on the water, be sure to turn your brain on first. Poor preparation and bad decisions are usually a recipe for disaster.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote