Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Geoffkoop

Rapala X-Rap

I got this Rapala X-Rap Magnum for Christmas. It dives 20 ft. Will this be good for trolling in LJ or overkill?

Is this mack color better?

Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
lamb

Xrap is relatively new,

but sure, good to have in a box especially when live bait is hard to come by. plenty of fish caught on rapala, just about everything we have in our waters.

I don't know about Xrap diving that deep trolling it off of a kayak, where you've got to be falling apart to do 5mph.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I don't like using any of the deep diving Rapalas or Megabait from the kayak. The clicker on my Torium and Daiwa Sealines just aren't strong enough to hold the ones with the big lips. It is a pain in the ass to have line clicking out on every swell. I have some Megabaits with small lips that work much better. A sliding egg sinker well away from the lure will also get it down deeper and there isn't as much of a drag penalty.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
lamb

Doug, you're crazy... tell me one good reason why would you troll a rapala or any rapala like lure with 2 or 3 sets of treble hooks on a clicker?!?

yeah, keep the clicker on...

But make sure you keep the reel in gear.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

It will be a good lure, I am with Adi, reel in gear, and clicker. I back the drag down slightly. Sets your hook for you.

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
kareem korn

I don't think you can sustain the speed in the kayak to use the lure to it's reported potential. It's a good lure tho, but I use them at 5 mph on the boat.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I only troll those with treble hooks. There is a good chance that at least one hook will take hold. If I were to troll with single hooks I would use my TLDs in gear.

I lost a rod, reel and rod holder because I had a reel in gear when it got hit. I would rather have some spit lures than repair a rod holder. This method has been successful for me in the past, so I will continue using it,
Old 12-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
mc08066

Rapala X-rap

Nice lures, I have a couple, with mackeral and black pattern working the best for me. Only problem is they are really for trolling in a boat at about 5 to 10 mph. They worked great this summer on Yellowfins, Dorado's and Albie's.
Jimmy
mc08066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
T Bone

I agree totally with trolling in gear.Its like fishing with a trap rig for halibut,you are looking for a hookup on the initial strike.A fish isnt going to wait at all to spit out an artificial.The only artificials I ever fished out of gear are Gulp squids but I have only caught mackrel with them and are not completely sold on them at $2 each.
Doug,if you are worried about your gear just lower the drag setting like was mentioned above,just enough for a hookset.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
Matt
Support your local pangas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
It will be a good lure, I am with Adi, reel in gear, and clicker. I back the drag down slightly. Sets your hook for you.

chris

Perfectamundo!!! Not a bad way to do a deadstick iron either......
Old 12-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

This lure is meant to be trolled 5 knots, but it will work fine on your kayak, it just will not dive as deep. I used one in East Cape, got some nice Pargo. I am sure YT, WSB Cuda, Bonito would hit this lure.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
1Flatfish
Wayne

X-Rap

I don't know what kind of ride you have, but in a Hobie, my X-rap gets deep and has plenty of action. The mac patterns are good. I have the silver anchovy color. I hold onto the rod and keep it in gear when I am on the move. I caught a couple nice bonito with it a couple weeks ago. Don't hate me because I have a Hobie!
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote