Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Cool SENATOR FLOREZ CALLS FOR MLPA OVERSIGHT HEARING!!

This is Great NEWS!! This is due in part of your letter writing!!! Send Florez a letter today!!

Dean Florez
State Capitol
Room 313
Sacramento, CA
94248-0001

http://www.wonews.com/t-UpdateReport...pa-033009.aspx

SAN MATEO — Citing possible conflict of interest and abusive politics, state senator Dean Florez (D) announced his intent to call an oversight hearing on questionable aspects of the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) process, including possible conflicts of interest on the part of California Fish and Game Commission member Michael Sutton and the seemingly out-of-control budget requirements for the MLPA here in California.

The announcement came at the March 28 Coastside Fishing Club fundraising dinner, where Florez was key note speaker.
“There will be some tough questions that will have to be answered by (Secretary for Natural Resources) Mike Chrisman and for Michael Sutton,” said Florez, who is the senate majority leader, and the Democratic caucus chairman of the budget oversight committee. “There is not enough transparency in this process.” He said the questions that need answering include questions about Sutton’s past, and potential conflicts of interest due to Sutton’s connections with the Packard Foundation, which has provided funding for the MLPA process.

“This has become politics, not policy,” said Florez. He requested guidance from the Coastside members. “I want you to give me your thoughts on what questions we need to ask.”

One of the issues he is focusing on is how a process that started with an estimated $250,000 budget has built to a bureaucracy requiring $35 million to maintain. Florez also touched on salmon hatchery concerns, and questioned how the MLPA process has allowed closures without sufficient scientific support to prove the closures are the right thing to do.

He invited Coastside members to follow the coming oversight hearing, and said that if a quarter of the 250 members who attended the dinner showed up at the hearing, it would have a huge impact on the outcome.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
bluesquids

Lets hope this goes somewhere. Everyone still needs to make their voices heard.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

This hearing has not been scheduled yet, please let Florez, and his cohorts know that the MLPA initiative will impact your local economy!!

The door has been opened, lets keep it opened... or is it, when the doors of perception are cleansed we can see more clearly!

You are being heard, thanks for sending these letters!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
Kiyo

Chris.... just wanted to let you know what a great job you have been doing! Thanks for the updates and keep at it.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Chris, Holy Mackeral good job...you da man...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, but everyone writing letters, making calls, not to mention, Paul & MJ are doing the work. I am merely stoking the coals, and adding kindling...

I know all these MLPA threads, can get overwhelming, perhaps, a nusiance, because we all want to see WSB, or YT, or Calico pictures, but without our efforts, we may have little to photograph in the next few years.... ask NORCAL, and CENCAL.

Lets keep this fire going! If anyone has any ideas to help, please let me know.

chris
Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
fishdude

Just a thought, has anyone contacted the local bait and tackle stores, local ma and pa restaurants so they know the impact that would have on any of the closures the MLPA plans to put forth.

Also, can I please get the info for letters to send to the proper authorities on this matter and what I, we, can do as a concerned fisherman.

Thanks in advance and thank you Holy Mackeral for all your hard work on this very important matter.
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdude View Post
Also, can I please get the info for letters to send to the proper authorities on this matter and what I, we, can do as a concerned fisherman.
You can write your state senators about the economic impact that the MLPA will have on State's budget, as well as, local and state economy's.

I attached a list of addresses to all state senators, I have sent a letter to EVERY single senator, hopefully you will too.

But specifically,

Dennis Hollingsworth
State Capitol
Room 305
Sacramento, CA 94248-0001

Senator Denise Ducheny
State Capitol
Room 5035

Senator Dean Florez
State Capitol Room 313

Senator Robert Dutton
State Capitol
Room 5094

Commissioner Dan Richards
California Fish and Game Commission
1416 Ninth Street
P.O. Box 944209
Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
Attached Files
File Type: doc SENATOR addresses.doc (58.0 KB, 3 views)