Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
cioppino

Childrens Pool EIR link

This is a link to the recently released Environmental Impact Report for the potential projects that might take place at the Childrens Pool. Shows maps and before and after pics of the project which was ordered by the courts in 2005. Lots of good information. The courts have this report and are going to decide soon whether to dredge or not regardless of what the city council did to change the trust recently.

The report is 297 pages long about 20mb.
http://docs.sandiego.gov/citybulleti...520I%2520R.pdf
cioppino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Thanks for the post. As some may know, the Casa was a special place for me growing up in La Jolla. After reading this EIR, I became angry. I am not mad about anything that I read in the report. Rather, I am angry about the incredible amount of wasteful bureaucracy that this document represents.

This EIR is 297 pages long. Someone, probably many people, had to do the research and write this thing. Hundreds of others will be required to read it, (most probably won't). Thousands of copies will probably be printed, (most will end up in the trash).

The amount of detail that this EIR contains goes way beyond what most would consider to be reasonable. In my view, the vast majority of this document's content is unneccessary. I won't even try to guess what it cost to create this report but I am sure it is a six figure number.

What makes me most angry is that this kind of wasteful exercise is repeated over and over, thousands of times a year throughout the country. If our Government seriously wants to reduce unnecessary spending, reigning in needless bureaucracy should be at the top of the list.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
cioppino

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Thanks for the post. As some may know, the Casa was a special place for me growing up in La Jolla. After reading this EIR, I became angry. I am not mad about anything that I read in the report. Rather, I am angry about the incredible amount of wasteful bureaucracy that this document represents.

This EIR is 297 pages long. Someone, probably many people, had to do the research and write this thing. Hundreds of others will be required to read it, (most probably won't). Thousands of copies will probably be printed, (most will end up in the trash).

The amount of detail that this EIR contains goes way beyond what most would consider to be reasonable. In my view, the vast majority of this document's content is unneccessary. I won't even try to guess what it cost to create this report but I am sure it is a six figure number.

What makes me most angry is that this kind of wasteful exercise is repeated over and over, thousands of times a year throughout the country. If our Government seriously wants to reduce unnecessary spending, reigning in needless bureaucracy should be at the top of the list.

Bob
No need to guess. My friend does EIRs for a living, fortunately had nothing to do with this one, but the cost to the taxpayer for this is between 200,000 to 240,000. That is just for this report. Once this is reviewed and the over 100 Federal, State, and local government agencies which this was sent to chime in another EIR will be drafted. By the time this thing is over millions of dollars will have been wasted. Monies that far exceed actually doing the project. The only ones making out are the seal wackos selling their bogus propaganda to tourists. Money that should be spent at local shops and eateries.

Part of this EIR talks about spawning grunion, spawning spiny lobsters, and of course pupping seals. The construction is supposedly being scheduled around those natural events. Seems to be a conflict there. I mean how many grunion and spiny lobsters are going near a beach with a few hundred seals on it?

One of the more interesting parts of this EIR was reading about how the DFG is one of two trustee agencies that has jurisdiction over natural resources affected by a project like this. We know how the DFG/Sutton feels about projects like the CP. This issue and the MLPA process go hand in hand. Loosing the CP would be the first of many dominos to fall against us.

Keep current and keep writing letters on both of these issues. I have had to resort to using kinkos for printing out my letters. Printer cartridges are expensive!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
cioppino

Goodbye Childrens Pool

The Childrens Pool is one step closer to being in the hands of the City of San Diego. The Senate voted 30-4 in favor of a bill giving the City of San Diego authority over the CP and the bill is now on the way to the assembly. Our local and State government have no money and are voting on things simply based on what the cheaper alternative is. So it looks like the seal huggers are going to get their wish. Look out south casa beach, shell beach, boomers, and the cove you are next on the seal huggers hit list.

Hopefully the Senate thinks with their check book on issues like the MLPA as well. If the State/City cant afford to clean up a fifty yard stretch of beach how the hell are they going to justify the costs of the MLPAs.

Time to go fish while its still legal.