Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Willqueedo motor

One good thing about no fish to be caught, is that out gives us plenty of time to do those upgrades on the yak that you put off. Well I've been sittin on this 40lb. Thrust motorguide tripling motor with the intent of modding it for my xfactor, and with alot of help from premo its finally done.
8 speed turn nob, 5 forward speeds, 3 reverse.
Rudder peg style foot stearing sorry for the crappy phone pics. Ill try to take better ones on the water this weekend

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Yakin

Looks great just hope you got a nice battery for it
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

how much did it all cost, including the CF #'s?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
T Bone

cool

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Motor was given to me by a friend. probably 30-40 bucks worth of hardware from home depot. Plug unit $17 online. Cf#'s? We dont need no stinking cf#'s. Im rocking this shit kayak ninja stealth mode.....unless you are oc sheriff, coastguard or lifeguard, in that case ill get them tomorrow. seriously though I've never heard of anyone actually getting questioned about thier motor on a yak. Most of it is bellow water, its silent and I don't plan to do doughnuts around harbor patrol, so I think I'll be safe from the law.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

I was stopped by the harbor patrol to talk about an unrelated matter, he saw my motor and did not say a single word about it. If you are polite and smile, you'll be cool. Worst case scenerio (you are testing and planning on getting the numbers this week)
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

My thoughts exactly. A little bit of politeness goes a long way. I cant wait to test this baby out. Im thinking 8 mph no problem.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Welcome to the darkside!

I took Matt's advice and skipped the CF(I blame him if I do eventually get in trouble ). i've been stopped and not a word was mentioned about the motor...they checked my catch but that was it.

I don't think you'll get 8, maybe 5-6 tops.

I get up to 4mph in my F&D...but that's a slow hull with myself(235lbs) a 70lb trolling battery(you're going to need a big one) and all my gear. I estimated my rig at 350ish lbs(plus hull weight) when loaded. That didn't include 3-4 gallons of saltwater in the bait tank @ 8.8 lbs per gallon.

I'm running a 35/36lb(I don't remember which) motor. If you can get 8 out of your 40lb I'll switch to a 40lb immediately....please let me know.
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Im looking forward to fishing with you guys sometime. it could be three motorized yaks doing burnouts around george while he flies a kite

Old 04-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
ericko

i rigged my old x factor also it lasted about 4 hours ....it was nice leaving dana sucked comming back in just FYI..
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

I likes it!! I went a different route though... I have not been on the water yet, but let me tell you, I can't wait. I'll probably make it to salt creek from baby beach in about a half hour, vice, 1hr 45 min paddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
how much did it all cost, including the CF #'s?
Don't know what all the hub-bub is about CF #'s....This year it's $29. And considering the fine without one; cheap I say!

Besides, who the hell wants to be nice to Sheriffs, DFG, and life guards so they will over look your numbers. All they get from me is a simple nod, and carry the F-on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (59.8 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (54.6 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg 092.jpg (47.6 KB, 332 views)
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Don't plan on 4 hours if continual use at least not at top speed. Getting to my destination and getting back mainly. I will be doing some trolling in low speed once the threshers are back in town. Ill give a report on speed, maneuverability, turn radius, battery life. Fyi my ff 12v lasts forever and I can get a full day gishing and have it be mostly charged still. It runs my motor for approximately 30 minutes. In the event I run out of juice I plan to do a relay on a switch to act as a backup if need be. As an added precaution I'm willing to tie a brass key to georges kite and wait for an electric storm to recharge my battery.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildawgjj View Post
I likes it!! I went a different route though... I have not been on the water yet, but let me tell you, I can't wait. I'll probably make it to salt creek from baby beach in about a half hour, vice, 1hr 45 min paddling.

Don't know what all the hub-bub is about CF #'s....This year it's $29. And considering the fine without one; cheap I say!

Besides, who the hell wants to be nice to Sheriffs, DFG, and life guards so they will over look your numbers. All they get from me is a simple nod, and carry the F-on.
Hows that paint been holding up? Thats my next project.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
GregAndrew

Looks clean. But, can you access to raise/tilt the motor on the water? If the battery should die or you hook some debris you could be talking a good bit of extra drag to paddle around.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Hows that paint been holding up? Thats my next project.
It's been great! The only wear is on top from sliding it on the rack of the suburban. But even the wear makes it a little rugged looking.

What kind of battery you using? The battery box I have fits perfectly in the back. I gooped and screwed in the mounts....It should hold it steady. The difficult part was figuring out how I want to mount the fuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 093.jpg (65.1 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg 094.jpg (65.8 KB, 310 views)
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Looks clean. But, can you access to raise/tilt the motor on the water? If the battery should die or you hook some debris you could be talking a good bit of extra drag to paddle around.
We tried to make it to where you actuate both peddles to lift but couldn't get enough torque to do it. I normally fish with a buddy and its very easy to remove if my friend paddle up along side me. It can be off and stowed in literally 1 minute.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #17
Caffeind

Very nice, Will! Hope it works even better than planned. Where's the battery go?

Devildawg...does yours need any counter-weight for the motor on the other side so it doesn't lean or veer off?
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
Very nice, Will! Hope it works even better than planned. Where's the battery go?

Devildawg...does yours need any counter-weight for the motor on the other side so it doesn't lean or veer off?
Hey there Gary, thanks! The battery is going in the front hatch to offset the wieght of the motor and bait tank. When we gonna get out and fish together one of these weekends?

Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #19
dc1983

Looks great!!! We should get all the motorized yaks out at the same time and fish some place. I'd be interested to see all the different rigs and they work
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #20
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

The first ever kayak cup, invitational motorized kayak drag race! Just dont cross over eachothers trolling lines!

Last edited by William Novotny; 04-17-2012 at 03:43 AM.