Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Rob929

This guy is Sick!!!

As in SEAsick !!

Yep, went out Friday to a little more surf/ swell than usual. I hadn't had much to eat before hand and after a few hours wasnt feeling so hot. I will spare the additional details.

I guess it's time I start taking something- just in case. Have heard bonine works well if taken the night before. Anyone try Scopace (the prescription)?

Hopefully I'm not the only one that has this occasional problem.

Last edited by Rob929; 03-28-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
old_rookie

Bonine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob929 View Post
As in SEAsick !!

Yep, went out Friday to a little more surf/ swell than usual. I hadn't had much to eat before hand and after a few hours wasnt feeling so hot. I will spare the additional details.

I guess it's time I start taking something- just in case. Have heard bonine works well if taken the night before. Anyone try Scopace (the prescription)?

Went out on a twilight run last summer, forgot to take Bonine until about 20 minutes before we got on the boat. Had no problem, but, it was very calm out there. So not sure if it was the Bonine, or the calm water or ?? - I have used Bonine before, but don't remember the details as far as taking it the night before - I believe you only need to take it 1 hour prior to boarding the vessel. Try Bonine before Scopace - which needs a prescription I think. Good luck.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
kurt

Half a tablet of bonine an hour before launch works for me. The patch works great, but you need a prescription and it's a bit pricy at about $12 a patch.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
IntrntFshrman

Me as well

Yep, this was my second La Jolla trip, took two Bonine about 3 hours b4 and got majorly sick out there, had to come back in couldn't hack it (sorry again, Josh!)

Anybody else have suggestions for good over the counter stuff? Plus, for you larger guys, do you double the dose? I'm thinking two pills wasn't good enough, maybe 4 for us 'plus' guys?
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Rob929

That sucks.. I was out there thinking how bad that would be if this happened during a trip with Josh.. or anyone for that matter.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecollins86 View Post
Yep, this was my second La Jolla trip, took two Bonine about 3 hours b4 and got majorly sick out there, had to come back in couldn't hack it (sorry again, Josh!)

Anybody else have suggestions for good over the counter stuff? Plus, for you larger guys, do you double the dose? I'm thinking two pills wasn't good enough, maybe 4 for us 'plus' guys?

Try taking the Bonine the night before and then one in the morning.
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
As in SEAsick !!

Get scopace in the pill form and you will never try any thing else.
My dad was already sick and my buddy hooked him up with the scopace and I'm not kidding within 10 minutes he was already feeling better. 30 minutes later we were still nailing fish.

Scopace is the best I have seen out there. I know a lot of people that use it.
http://www.motionsickness.net/versus.html

Make sure you insist your doctor gets the pill. The patch you have to put on the night before, the pill can be taken after you are on the water.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Pescavore1

I agree with Jimmyz, there's nothing better for me. The first time I went out to La Jolla, I got sick within the first 1/2 hour so I started taking one pill about an hour before. Now all I need is 1/3 rd of a tablet and I'm good to go for 14 hours+. This doesn't make me drowsy like Bonine.

Kaiser didn't carry Scopace but the doc gave me a prescription anyway and I had it filled at Drugstore.com
Pescavore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Nic D

I used to do a dramamine or whatever I could find about an hour before... I've been going so much lately, I haven't been taking anything and I've felt fine.

I think you all just need to get on the water more
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Geoffkoop

I havent yet felt that way on the kayak (knock on wood) but have used Bonine in the past for boats. That stuff works incredibly well for me. The Dramamine always made me feel like crap. I would take the Bonine 1 hour before the trip like the package said. Good Luck!
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Anthony179
A.T.

I take one bonine the night before and the other around 5am. Always feel good the whole time. I went out of Ensenada (on a charter boat)with some friends and the weather was rough. One of my friends was in the Army and went to Iraq on a ship, and he said he never got sick. Well, 30 minutes after we got out the harbor he started chuming the water for us. And that ruin the day for him. On the kayak I don't take anything and still feel good.
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #12
Lord Matthew34
Mad Yakker

I'm a firm believe and user of Scopace as well. I get really seasick REALLY FAST on any water outside of the bay. i did the bonnie thing before learning about scopace and i would start to get sick just thinking about the taste of that powdery raspberry nastiness.

You can take Scopace 15 mins before launching and you'll be good to go. The only side effect i've had with it is dry mouth...which is very easily cured if you stay hydrated. So you may have to pee off the side of your yak or into a gatorade bottle a few times...big deal!! Way better then chumming the water and feeling the infamous pucker factor when your guts are churning inside out from puking so much

I got 60 pills for under $20 from costco with a perscription from my doctor. All you do is tell your doctor that you love to fish and that you get seasick. I didn't even have to go in and get verified. I called the office talked to the nurse and picked up the rx on the way home from work. Really easy, and it works REALLY REALLY WELL!! However if you're doing more then 12 hours on the water you may want to bring another one. I've done some long days on the water (as im sure most of you have) and I honestly started puking within 15 mins of the 12 hour mark. I kind of laughed about it, took another one, and I was good to go on the ride in.
Lord Matthew34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #13
greenscales
greenscales

Non-med options

I didn't go through all the replies, so I hope I am not repeating anything. 1st - Ginger, crystallized or you can get drink mixes from the bigger Asian markets. Ginger extracts are used in numerous sea sick medicines. My first full liter of beverage is a ginger/honey drink made from a mix I get at Ranch 99.

Second, the heat causes more problems. I have been more sick on hot, calm wind days (or foggy) w/a medium swell and don't have any issue in huge sees when it is cold and breezy. Drop the dry top, and keep a wet towel or something around you neck. It will help. The only time I use meds are for trips aboard charter boats, the dry mouth/drowsiness isn't worth it on the yak when I could just tie up inside the kelp for a while to reduce the roll.

I would just like an answer to getting my land legs back after spending a long day on the yak in a good swell. I couldn't pass a sobriety test some evenings when I've been on the water too long.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
Jimmyz123

O.K. you can try all the things that might work, or you can go with something that has been proven to work by many. I would rather go with the for sure thing.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:15 AM   #15
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post
I couldn't pass a sobriety test some evenings when I've been on the water too long.

Come on Scales! tell them land lubbers the real, time tested cure for sea sickness....rum, whisky and beer!!!!

It always works for me!!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #16
WahooUSMA

Quote:
That sucks.. I was out there thinking how bad that would be if this happened during a trip with Josh.. or anyone for that matter.
It actually happened to me last year when Kent and I fished with Josh. I got so freaking sick that I actually pulled my jacket over my head and slept for an hour or so (on my kayak), that was after I threw everything up from my early morning breakfast to the meals the day before. It was so bad that Josh and Kent took turns towing me in....

Haven't been sick since on the kayak nor had I been sick on prior kayaking outings. It just happens to sometimes.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #17
flydigital

I don't get motion sickness very easily but kayaking in the dark (i.e. pre-gray launches or hooping) in snotty conditions will get me. I carry one of those chapstick-sized tubes of dramamine or bonine in my tackle box and it works within about 30 minutes for me if I need it. A little drowsy for an hour or so but sure beats being sick. But the best prevention I've found is to eat a good meal before-hand. If I'm on an empty stomach I get it much worse.

That scopace stuff sounds even better, will get an rx one of these days.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
Rob929

Thanks

for all the suggestions. I emailed my dr, and see no reason why he wouldn't write up a rx for the scopace to try out.

I will post my experience after a couple times out.

..Glad I'm not the only one!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
Jimmyz123

Quote:
for all the suggestions. I emailed my dr, and see no reason why he wouldn't write up a rx for the scopace to try out.

I will post my experience after a couple times out.

..Glad I'm not the only one!
I'm thinking of getting a prescription so that I can have some on hand for others. I never get sick, but I know too many hard heads that won't man up and get a prescription, like my dad.

Then also if somehow I do ever feel ill, I'm hooked up. Better safe than sick.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #20
Dan

i'll second scopace. we do an annual 2-day work charter and i've seen the guys from work (mostly non-fisherman types) with and without.....it's a major difference.

I've patched up when the seas are going to be rough and it gives you a nice energy buzz too, which it the opposite of the over the counter dope.

good luck!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote