Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
-scallywag-
Banned

no more wheels!!!!

I hope....

it looks like they are opening up the launch today....just in-time for us lazy weekend warriors!!!

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Hypoxic1

But the politics of the launch are being discussed by the mayor

I went to check out the launch today and happened to be there when the lifeguard opened the launch to vehicles, He also stated that the mayor is on a push to close the launch to vehicles completely, perhaps in one month. This seems to stem from a child getting hit last summer during the launch chaos that prevails in summertime. Hopefully there is someone in the political realm who can shed light on this and help us figure out how to protest or be active in the fight to keep the drive on rules open. I know IB has a permit process, where drivers must register and take a safety class for driving on the beach. Hopefully this sort of thing would be as far as restrictions would go. We shall see..........
Tight lines,
Chris
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Billy V

So our city wants to punish every boat launch user because 1 person was involved in an accident.

That is a pretty good safety record if you ask me because its the 1st. accident I have ever hear of between a pedestrian and vehicle at the launch - in spite of all the beach zombies walking in front of traversing cars and trucks.

Maybe the pedestrians should stay out of the roadway and walk the side walk to enter the beach.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
yakpappy
Junior

Sweet
yakpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

I talked to the LG's about this last summer, that is the reason they are 'directing traffic'...

It would be much easier to post signs (for those who cannot grasp the concept of the other signs) in BIG BOLD LETTERS to advise the clueless tourists to not walk in the vehicle access area...

Then again, that might be too complicated for the simpletons in charge...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Kayak Rookie
Junior

When launching at 0600 there really are not a lot of pedestrians around. I heard that a child drowned in the ocean once, may be they should close off the beach to swimmers! Maybe that is a little bit of an over reaction, kind of like closing the beach to drive ons!
Kayak Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Nic D

Fishermen driving on the sand kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
h2ofishfo

i always use wheels anyways its always easier dont have to deal w/launch traffic & people saying "what do u catch out here???"
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

This sounds like another example of a politician having a knee-jerk reaction to pressure received after an unpleasant incident has occurred. It is just like when they banned alcoholic beverages from every square inch of our beaches in response to the irresponsible behavior of a few jerks. The problem was solved, but at what cost to individual freedom.

It seems to me that this is the way our government normally deals with stuff these days. They over react in the heat of the moment without thinking about how their rulings will affect the majority of the citizens they are supposed to be representing.

Too many people these days, have extreme views that are on one side of an issue or the other. Our Government officials are easily confused by this. Many, whose primary goal is to stay in power at any cost, stick their fingers in the air every day and try to determine which way the wind is blowing. Unfortunately, a gust of wind from the left or right can easily cause some to lose their sense of direction. Bad things often happen as a result.

For a bit of historical perspective, I can go back to my many years as a lifeguard at the shores and elsewhere. There was seldom a summer season that did not include an incident or two in which a lifeguard accidentally drove over a sun bather. There were even more incidents in which a beach visitor who somehow did not notice the bright orange vehicles we drove, walked into the path of one of our vehicles while we were on patrol. I cannot recall any serious injuries but this stuff happened all the time.

Let's hope that this idea does not gain any traction.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #10
stairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarack Studios View Post
Fishermen driving on the sand kill people like spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat
now that is funny!!!!
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
bigbarrels

people get hit by cars on the street pretty regular and I havn't seen or heard of any street closures.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote