Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Regor
Greg

Talked to the DFG today

I talked to the DFG today. They have one rep that they are pointing everyone to for all answers.

Here's some info for those who wish to use it.

The map below is for those who don't want to have to look up coordinates while OTW fishing, or for those who don't have a GPS.

This is only a screen shot of the shores and point, and not the Pier area and north.

The new State marine reserve (red) extends further (~350 yrds) offshore than the old state marine conservation area (blue) but they both originate off the same point above La Jolla cove.

Couple of notes:

~ The buoys are not DFG property. They are either City or County. DFG upper Mgmt is in talks with the City/County about moving them. Will it happen? Who knows.
~ Out of the 28 MLPAs, only 6 currently have buoys and the rest have just used (?) coordinates or landmarks or heresay
~ The coordinate closest to land (the cove) has not moved due to the latest MLPA action. The "Buoy" itself has moved closer (East) to the shores on it's own
~ Enforcement - as long as an effort is made to "try" and observe the new reserve via old buoys and/or landmarks, it's hard to enforce without buoy movement.

Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

Thanks Greg,
working on a DP or SI trip for the weekend of the 14th as long as weather coops...b
Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
PAL

The city owns the buoys. As of a year or more ago, a consultant was responsible for their maintenance, which included keeping them anchored at the correct coordinates.

It's anyone's guess what will happen to them now. One thing's for sure - the state isn't going to take responsibility. If the city pulls the funding, the buoys will go.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Hypoxic1

Am I missing something?

The point of land that the begining of the area defined as the zone sure looks like Childrends pool to me, but I could be incorrect. Regor mentioned La Jolla cove, whiich is a different point. Which is correct?
Thanks
Chris
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

I think that Childrens Pool is next to that mark that says "seal rock". Just my guess
Old 01-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxic1 View Post
The point of land that the begining of the area defined as the zone sure looks like Childrends pool to me, but I could be incorrect. Regor mentioned La Jolla cove, whiich is a different point. Which is correct?
Thanks
Chris
You are right - Children's pool is the best landmark to use for the furthest coordinate to the south.

The mention of the cove is where the buoy has been moving toward all by itself.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
I think that Childrens Pool is next to that mark that says "seal rock". Just my guess
correct!

the line goes north from Boomers.... but you probably don't know where Boomers is do you

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
RK

Closed areas....
I was out all day and didnt see one
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
mbaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
correct!

the line goes north from Boomers.... but you probably don't know where Boomers is do you
Boomers? I looks like the line goes north from Alligator head to me.
mbaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
toby

I'm in agreement with Alligator Point.
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
Closed areas....
I was out all day and didnt see one
SHHHHH, Dont let anyone know its WFO...

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
SquidJig

Here's a close view of the map with Children's Pool and Alligator Head marked. The Cove is just to the east, (right in this picture), of the Bridge Club and Alligator Head.

I also converted the coordinates for the southwest corner of the newly expanded reserve from 32° 51.067' N, 117° 16.400' W to the notation that Google Maps uses, which is 32.85111, -117.2733. You can see the yellow rectangle with the coordinates floating near Alligator Head.

La Jolla MPA.jpg

The next image should help identify the the north-south boundary by sight from the water if this Bing image isn't distorted. The boundary runs due north of Alligator Head so line up the La Valencia Hotel, the pink building with the tower, and the Bridge Club, the low, long white building close to shore, and you should be safely outside the reserve. Alligator Head is actually a little to the east, (left), of the Bridge Club in this image but the Bridge Club is a better landmark.

La Jolla MPA Landmarks.jpg

Lastly, here's a link to an excellent online map with more info about the coastline than you could ever want, including all the MPAs. To see the MPAs is a bit complicated so the last image shows you where to click to get the MPA overlays.

http://southcoast.marinemap.org/marinemap/#

Marine Map.jpg
SquidJig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I know that I am preaching to the choir here but these bogus new regulations really piss me off. Forget for a moment that the process that created them was corrupt. From a practical perspective, I wonder how in the hell will anyone without GPS coordinates programed into a device with some sort of an alarm have any idea if they have crossed into the unmarked forbidden zone? Do the authorities really expect average citizens to be able to recognize the new boundaries without buoys or some other type of clear markings?

I learned from another post that the buoys marking the former reserve have moved over time and that no one bothered reset them. Have we all been breaking the law for years? I don't know anyone who would intentionally fish in a reserve but I bet that this is where most of us have been catching our bait for a long time.

I will do my best to obey the new rules but if push comes to shove I will not go down without a fight. I suspect that most of us feel the same way. Maybe the best thing to do is what my friend Martin, (TMan) has suggested. Get the section in the California constitution that says that all citizens will forever be granted the right to fish in California coastal waters laminated, and wear it around your neck instead of a fishing license.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
GregAndrew

Bob, the irony is that one of the fundamental principles of a successful MPA is for it to be clearly marked. Another is that they need to be enforced. The touted benefits that they all claimed will never come to existence without meeting the requirements of a successful MPA. Poachers, both intentional and not, will keep these areas from ever becoming mega egg producing factories.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
mbaha

Well judging by the lobster pots all over the new area of the reserve, the lobster men are still going by the old boundaries. Has anyone been down to SLJ? I'm curious if they are still trapping in that reserve too.
mbaha is offline   Reply With Quote