Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Regor
Greg

Tady Iron's (Mackerel pattern) going away

Heads up for those who use Tady Iron's with the Mackerel pattern, they are going away.

Was in a local tackle store last week, and the Tady rep was in there. I noticed some empty spaces on the shelf and we started chatting about lures.

For a company as relatively small as Tady, the "Mackerel pattern" that is painted onto their lures is an extremely long, tedious, expensive process. Therefore, it will be discontinued in the near future. He estimated that there will be enough lures to make it through this season, but after that, their history.

Here's an example of the "Mackerel pattern"

Better stock up now.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

that color in particular is always hard to find good swimmers. the color is bitchin' though! now the search rages on to find a solid fish slayer
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Has anyone tried trolling a Rapala Magnum or X-Rap Magnum series for YT or WSB, instead of live bait? Those color patterns seem to be pretty realistic.

I've had success with their Green/Gold Mackerel, Firetiger, and the Anchovie (Silver) pattern but have never tried using them in La Jolla, only in the bays for Bonito.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
RK

I've "tried it"........
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
taggermike

I've never tried that color Tady 45. I have gotten away from color and am concerned more with action. As for colors a buddy of mine who worked and captained local charter boats for 15 years sticks with B/W and scrambled egg. Another long time iron thrower swears by the mint green. Most of my verteran fish killing irons have little or no paint on them, rusty hooks, and they just keep producing. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
FishinReelDeals

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Has anyone tried trolling a Rapala Magnum or X-Rap Magnum series for YT or WSB, instead of live bait? Those color patterns seem to be pretty realistic.

I've had success with their Green/Gold Mackerel, Firetiger, and the Anchovie (Silver) pattern but have never tried using them in La Jolla, only in the bays for Bonito.
My friends and I have done really well trolling Mac/dorado pattern offshore. My buddy got a 25-30# dorado on the dorado Pattern rapala 2 years ago in local waters. We have almost caught every species on that color, except for wsb.
FishinReelDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post

I've had good luck with the Yozuri for bonito and the occasional thresher, but never WSB or YT.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I've never tried that color Tady 45. I have gotten away from color and am concerned more with action. As for colors a buddy of mine who worked and captained local charter boats for 15 years sticks with B/W and scrambled egg. Another long time iron thrower swears by the mint green. Most of my verteran fish killing irons have little or no paint on them, rusty hooks, and they just keep producing. Mike
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Dean Machine

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...+tied+directly

I remember another similar post to the one linked above and was actually searching for that one and this popped up. Same story different person different day. I'd say it's worth a shot trolling rapalas. I also remember similar posts for white seabass caught on rapalas. I've heard of some even trolling iron but it does tend to twist your line. Rapala is the way to go usually.