Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #1
jbl_91762

Nobody hits San Onofre?

Buddy told me Calico bite is on around that area as he watched paddle board fisherman just pulling them in all day. I searched and noticed nobody has posted in over a year. Watched the vids and it don't look too bad to get out there if swells are low. I plan on trying it soon when weather warms as I don't have a dry suit lol. Figure it would be good to try and practice to surf launch before I make the long haul to LJ. The kelp is very thick looking at pics from other forums. Any thoughts?
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

You should watch some of Greg Andrews you tube videos from San O... very cool.

Ya I agree... everyone go to San O. LJ sux!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
GregAndrew

Just like everywhere in SoCal, the kelp has thinned out greatly. Also the road to the launch washed out a while ago, and not sure if it has been fixed yet. The launch and Landing can be dangerous, as there is a reef just offshore. It is best to go there your first couple times with somebody has been there before.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:05 AM   #4
tamddo714

I rather practice launching at LJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
FullFlavorPike

as a bonus maybe you will get to see a baby white shark. my friend who flies helicopters out there says there are usually a lot of 8-9' juveniles hanging out.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
TJones

Too sharky

. One the the recorded deaths took place their .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
jbl_91762

Whites and me are a no no!!!! I totally forgot about that place being the hot spot for babies. Thanks as I was already planning a trip soon, but not only no... but HELL NO! I dread the day I hook or see a shark. Shoot I got spooked when I happen to look over and see a 6ft seal swim under my yak last time out.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #8
steveooo

Too Sharky. Too Rocky. Long surf zone. No fish...except occasionally when there is some fish...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0447.jpg (72.6 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4069.jpg (63.5 KB, 270 views)
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
Stuck20

I've been wanting to try San O since last year. Shoot me a PM if you want a buddy out there!
Stuck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #10
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Whites and me are a no no!!!! I totally forgot about that place being the hot spot for babies. Thanks as I was already planning a trip soon, but not only no... but HELL NO! I dread the day I hook or see a shark. Shoot I got spooked when I happen to look over and see a 6ft seal swim under my yak last time out.
Seriously? Dude, sharks are apart of the game just don't stick your feet in the water and bleed a fish at the same time. It's not like we jam in an impenetrable craft.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #11
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Seriously? Dude, sharks are apart of the game just don't stick your feet in the water and bleed a fish at the same time. It's not like we jam in an impenetrable craft.
Its called phobia lol. Seriously I am a Socal Native and grew up body surfing/boogie boarding since I was 10. Went all year round until a few years ago when all the whites were discovered and then the shark attacks. Havent been swimming since. But heck Im older now and I've lost that "No Fear" mentality. But yeah I will go since a member wants to join me and Im not alone out there. Funny there was a GW attack on a swimmer at Corona Del Mar and Im out there often! Just hate the thought....
Old 04-17-2017, 07:39 AM   #12
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck20 View Post
I've been wanting to try San O since last year. Shoot me a PM if you want a buddy out there!
Will do! Just wont happen for a few weeks cause of my schedule. But I'll reach out and give you a few dates! I might be able to get my buddy to go as he surfs that spot often.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #13
FullFlavorPike

just one of those days when you paddle out with a single spinning reel and catch a nice hali out front of the tits of freedom.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
SorryCharlie

I used to dive there all the time when I lived in SC with no issues from Mr tax man. Im actually shocked considering when shore diving you're bleeding the fish in the water with you and dragging it back in (yes I know I'm dumb). Still will dive there when the vis is worth the drive from Carlsbad, but the lure of LJ is to great most days.

Be careful with the San O break, as the area where you can launch kayaks most times has a double break. There's an inner reef with weaker waves, but the out break is what you need to be concerned with. Lastly, if possible try timing the launch/landing with high tide. It is not fun getting the kayak over the rocks that are exposed at low tide, especially after a very long haul (like the one out to box canyon...)
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #15
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryCharlie View Post
Lastly, if possible try timing the launch/landing with high tide. It is not fun getting the kayak over the rocks that are exposed at low tide, especially after a very long haul (like the one out to box canyon...)
Haha man just saw this.. skunked too hahah
Definitely try to avoid super low tides if you can the surf starts to pitch more(for sano) and like mr sorrycharlie said cobbles are a bitch
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:19 AM   #16
DanaPT

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/29...rch-surf-spot/

So this spot seems to becoming a hot spot. Wanna see the tax man? Fish around here.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:38 AM   #17
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I used to fish San Onofre quite a bit when I lived up in OC and I would generally see a juvi Great White almost every outing, certainly every second or third outing. They tended to breach outside the surf line mostly but had a couple of close encounter drive bys also. This is a site that accepts reports on shark sightings and it is quite amazing the number of encounters there are between San Clemente and Oceanside.

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.co...shark_news.htm
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #18
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/29...rch-surf-spot/
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #19
Mahigeer

Shark attack reported today.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/swi...cid=spartanntp
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #20
jbl_91762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Exactly!!!! Why I will probably pass on this spot!!