Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
Razorback

Rippin Lips Finds Glory Road - 4/12

Here's the pic - Lang can come online and tell the tale of the ghost and the tiburon. I paddled my arse off out far enough to see the Bahia Hotel in PB and never got a click. Lotta smelt popping every where and still masses of submerged kelp. Water was murky until way outside. Talked to a freediver who said the visibilty was pathetic. Great day on the water - as always.

Glad to see this Bloke get his cherry popped. FYI - the picture is a digitized watercolor edit that I thought looked pretty cool. I am waiting for Lang's email and he can post the real deal.

Congrats and thanks again for the Seeker Stick.
[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/Iceman619/prostaff1copycopy.jpg[/IMG
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
lamb

Sweet!! 8)

Congrats Lang!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Dennis

Good Job, RL. That's some good eats!
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
madscientist

Congrats!
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
brandon_burtenshaw
Junior

NICE ONE I AM GOING TO MAKE THE MAIDEN VOYAGE TO LA JOLLA ON MY NEW YAK EN LA MANANA!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
rippin lips

Send a message via AIM to rippin lips
Thanks for posting the pic Cris,

I was on the water @5am but for the first time I actually decided to go to the pier for bait since the last few times I've been out the kelp line has yielded no bait. Met Tom at the pier (great to meet you Tom). It only took about 15 minutes to make more than enough for the day.

I headed toward the point where everyone else was and as soon as I pass the marker I drop my bait..1 low, 1 high. It's light out by the time I pass over the canyon so I start to scan and look for some kinda sign, I was determined to get one this time as the last bundle of trips were a bust.

Paddling slow I see something surface on my port side through my periferal vision so I turn and look over to find a very big fin break the surface which definately belonged to a shark, It stayed hovering beside me about 20ft away. Freaked out and scared as hell I quadruple time it in any direction but his/hers(scripps) approx. 10 mins later the fin goes under and i am at ease (I would rather not see it coming). as I slow down I big ball of bait blip my FF and 2 seconds later my clicker starts screaming, I pick it up , put it in gear and wind the circle hook into his lip.

No sooner than the ride starts, my second clicker goes, with one hand I put it in gear, loosen the drag, turn off the clicker and let it ride while I bring the first up. It was not so easy, they start to pull in different directions so I concentrate on the heavier line fish (i'm taking 1 home today). Finally got it onboard and start to work with the other one, I get it to the surface but far away from me, goes down and pops the hook. end of story but not dissappointed "I got 1 already"

Feeling safe with no shark present I paddle over to meet the rest of the tupperware party, I figured if I join them and that shark comes around again it could take it's pick. Saw Tom and he was passed the camera for some pics...Thanks TOM and Thanks Cris for the pics, was good meeting you guys.

I am thoroughly stoked......broke in my new yak with my 1st WSB of this size. it went 37#s
rippin lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
Dan

Great job on the WSB....Some nice photos you got of that guy too.....
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #8
PaulMcD

Rippin',

Is that blood on the right leg you're dangling in the water after seeing what must have been a big shark? After I saw it on Sunday and figured it to be a Great White?

Darwinism comes to mind. :lol: Balls, you've got balls! Congrats on the fish!

-Paul
PaulMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
rippin lips

hahahaha....yup blood, but this is after I already joined the rest of the shark donuts.

hey Cris, diggin the water color effects
Old 04-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Nice going Lang, right place right time is such a factor with these roving ghosts. Congratulations!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
DaveC

Nice fish. I am the guy who you passed some bait off to. I got picked up a couple of times in the same area where you got your fish, but they dropped the bait. Around 9:30 I converted one of the baits into a 35lb wsb. When you asked me about bleeding fish I didn't realize you had just had a close encounter. I might think twice before bleeding my fish for awhile. Thanks again for the bait.

Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #12
steamroll

Nice job Lang!!!! Enjoy your dinner
Old 04-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #13
yafool

Send a message via AIM to yafool
nice fish, im jealous, haha. I beached my red extreme right behind you when you were loading up your xfactor onto the truck. I drove all the way down from LA and didnt get a sniff. THey may be feeding in the dark. Someone should try the PM gray light. My buddy Raul and Allyn on the dreamer did limits in catalina last night at 10pm in the dark. Full moons, love hate relationship. haha
yafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #14
rippin lips

hey Dave, glad the bait made something happen for you. Just remember me when i cant catch any bait.

Yafool, sorry your long trip was a bust, I been going out there with busted trips for a while.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #15
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

How much bait is enough? I made a 5 gallon bucket/ bait tank that pumps 500 gph....... I was thinking maybe 2 macks out and 4 in the tank. Sound about right?????
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #16
yafool

Send a message via AIM to yafool
yea, it was a spur of the moment thing last night, combined with the frustration of my skunk on seabass streak.
yafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #17
kurt

Nathan wrote:
Quote:
How much bait is enough? I made a 5 gallon bucket/ bait tank that pumps 500 gph....... I was thinking maybe 2 macks out and 4 in the tank. Sound about right?????
I've had about a dozen macks in a 5 gallon bucket before, with no problem. That's usually 11 more than I use in a day. The days when the bonito and barracuda are ripping it up, you can't have too much bait.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #18
rippin lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrinkman
4 is enough for me, 2 out and 2 on standby (which is rarely used). but this morning i had 6 greens as well as 3 spanish in the tube.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #19
GBF

Excuse me but...................SHARK..............WHITE SHARK!!!!!

GEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!.....I would have needed a change if underware if that thing swims that close to me!!!.........and then you just kept fishing as if nothing happened. I would have threw every rod, my gaff, my dikes, my tackle pack, hat, sun glasses, fishing licence with orange wistle, my bilge pump, my camera, VHF radio, bait tank with crate and my broken off fish finder at him....................he/she would have thought BOATERS WORLD would have landed on him/her.

I wanna fish Lajolla.......................just not quote that bad!!

Just yet!!

GBF
Old 04-13-2006, 07:01 PM   #20
Mr Mugu

Quote:
Originally Posted by yafool
nice fish, im jealous, haha. I beached my red extreme right behind you when you were loading up your xfactor onto the truck. I drove all the way down from LA and didnt get a sniff.
Ha! I have you beat! I drove down from Hueneme! 375 miles roundtrip. My little honda hatchback doesnt like having a Prowler on top...went from 41mpg average down to 31mpg with the yak up there.
One question for you yafool....why cart? Just drive your Beemer onto the sand! :lol:
2 crushed baits in the vicinity of where RL got his qhost is all I got...shoulda stuck around for the PM shift. And from what I gather...this is WAY inside of where everyone else was looking.
But heah..if us non-locals had perfect days down there all the time we wouldnt be able to stand our fishing grounds. That or we'd break down and move!
That being said...I think I'll make the drive down there again next week!
Mr Mugu is offline   Reply With Quote