Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Regor
Greg

Lightbulb Raptor Kayak by Santa Cruz Kayak

Interesting design.

SPECIFICATIONS: Length: 13'
Width: 34"
Weight: 62 lbs

A paddle, sit inside, foot controlled rudder, with catamaran design for stability. Looks like some time was spent to design it for some of the creature comforts of fishing, along with functionality of storage and mounting of peripherals.

Not sure I could handle the sit inside, I like to have my room to stretch, although they say it's sturdy enough to stand and fish ( hmmm ... not sure about me )

http://santacruzkayaks.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new_raptor.jpg (73.8 KB, 502 views)
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
mtnbykr2

well now that's an interesting looking outfit, I don't think that one is goin
to be easily flipped...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Jimmyz123

I'll pass on this.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
taggermike

That rig looks like it might work out for a wide variety of fishing. It also looks like they have addressed many of the draw back with fishing a sit in side. The cock pit is actually roomy and looks like you can get in and out of it to move around on the boat. It has a tank well that SIS don't have. A surf launch might still flood the cock pit but they say it comes with a full skirt so it might be OK in smaller waves. The advantage I see is that while it might not do any one style perfectly it could do most of our fishing well enough. Bay, LJ, and it's a SIS so you can fish it in no water contact lakes. It looks like you could load 2 deep cell batteries in that tank well and run a trolling motor all day if that suited you. There's a lot of kayaks/hybrid things that don't catch on here but remember the first time we saw a mirage drive. Admit it, you thought it looked rediculous and now they are every where. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Baitman
Junior

Hey, I somehow found this forum... a bit late obviously. I'm the guy who designed this boat and would like to answer any questions.
Actually I'd really love to bring it down for a demo day if possible. Better yet,,, this time of year the WSB are hitting the shores...

This can go through 2-3' surf without the skirt without taking on water... not the best boat for tackling bigger waves obviously because of the open cockpit. I launch it regularly from Capitola beach and most often from the SC Harbor or SF Bay.. It handles rough water beautifully. Paddles much like any other SOT of the same size.
The big + is the stability and roominess inside the cockpit. Poles can lay inside easily along with gear on either side. It's got to be seen to better understand. You cannot tip this boat over unless you get out and sit on the rail.
There's a video on our website that shows what happens when capsized. Floatation bags, combined with the shape of the cockpit, allow you to dump the water out as you flip it back over. About the only way to flip this is by rolling it sideways in the surf zone. This is the only kayak I have ever seen, where you can take a leak over the side !!!

I have a Torqeedo motor that pushes this along at 5.8 mph. Total weight of motor and battery is only 12 lbs.
Cool Icons BTW !!!
(This one especially... I've got a 20 gallon home-brew set-up )
Baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
maui jim

Baitman whats the cost of one of these.....

Looks interesting,, was hoping Wahoo would buy one first to give his feed back...LOL..
Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Baitman
Junior

Wahoo... you want to buy one ? That's great !!! LOL..

Sorry for the delayed response, I see I've been lagging... busy ,, you know how it is... NCKA site, TKF,, NWKA, Kayakfishing.com.
WAF account is running low.
Was just at the NCKA Halibut Tourney ARW. 75 kayaks... only three Raptors, And wouldn't you know it, The First Place winner was fishing from a Santa Cruz Raptor... with his son sitting on the back even !!!

Retails @ 1,150. Only dealer with one down there is in Santa Maria.
But I'd sell any members here at a big discount just to get some exposure. Call me or e-mail direct anytime. www.santacruzkayaks.com I'll even deliver in person... headed down to SoCal this week.

I'll be racing Ravensblack in his Scupper Pro on June 25th... watch the Pay It Forward Paddle NCKA event, Monterey.
It's fast, super stable, and lots of storage... some say the perfect fishing machine
.http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...?f=72&t=163531

Three reviews now from TKF site already. Two listed under Saltwater
check em out ... one is by Tom Stubblefield.

Cheers..
Old 06-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
pchen911

Hey, very cool... Looks like fun.

2 questions come to mind.

1. How is speed, tracking, and glide? Similar to which kayak?
2. How do you store your catch? Inside the cockpit?
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
old_rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJOmmv3TIw

I want to see it handle bigger waves, like LJ 3 weeks ago.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

I really like this Kayak for what we are trying to do with Heros on the Water. A really stable kayak that would suit someone who may not be able to manage in a regular kayak. I have been thinking about adding sponsons but his might be the trick!

http://heroesonthewater.org/home
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
Baitman
Junior

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,31877.0.html

Video of Race day.. Pay it Forward Paddlle. at Monterey on Saturday. 3.3 mile course with a jump in the water at the whistle bouy. Maintained and avg speed of 4.1 mph... ( not bad for an old man ). Was paddling against a Scupper Pro ( long / skinny yak) I finished about 300 yds behind ... Advil recovery the next day...

Did not use a rudder and had no problem tracking,.. can't compare it to any other kayak I know of.. I like the rudder, but decided against it for the race. I wanted to show that it wasn't necessary.

I toss the smaller fish at my feet. The bigger catch can go behind the seat, inside under the cargo well is a large open area. Playing around with a wood slat style of rack that fits over the pontoons. In case I get lucky and catch a big WSB this year I'd like to put it into a cooler bag.

Large waves... nah, I wouldn't recommend it... unless you could rig your electric bait well pump as a bilge pump. Smaller waves, no problem.

Somebody has one in La Jolla now. I'm waiting to hear the results... Anything come up on the radar here yet?

Phatford ; H O T W ? If I can help, please let me know. I'm a vet, My son also finished two tours in Iraq... It is a very forgiving kayak, easy entry, etc. might help for those with certain disabilities.

Cheers

Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

Thank you and your son for your service. My family is an army family also... Heros on the Water is starting a chapter in Southern California I am putting together a team of Volunteers whos mission is to give back to Disabled Combat Vets... These folks deserve more than we can do for them in one day but I am going to make sure that each event is very special. We could use all the help we can get! Southern California is going to be a huge chapter for HOW... I look forward to meeting with you and your son, in the future... Take care.

My Name is Ryan, my Cell phone is (951) 473-3202, and email is RyanRwalters@hotmail.com
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote