Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Dave k

A couple bait tank battery questions

Hey guys,
I'm working on building a bait tank and have a couple questions. I've read through several online tutorials and looked at ones people have built and have it all figured out except for the electrical part, which has never been one of my strengths.

I'm planning on running a Rule 360 GPH pump. The flow rate on this is obviously too strong for a 5 gallon tank. Would rigging this with a 6v battery slow down the flow enough, or would I still need to add a timer switch?

Also, is there a on/off switch I can place somewhere along the wire? Where I'm going to have to mount the battery box might to be too difficult to reach while on the water.

Thanks in advance guys. I'll put up some pics once this is done (hopefully in time for this weekend!)

-Dave
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
RK

A lot of guys use the 6volt and it does slow down the flow or you can add an adjustable spray head to the outflow of the pump, unless you have the pump already, I really like the tsunami pump its super reliable, cheap and easy to fix/replace, ocasionally mine gets grass in it and its super easy to open up and clean on the water. If you can sort of reach it a toggle switch on the outside of the pelican case that holds the battery would be a rad option, if you cannot reach it, I had a toggle switch on my old malibu that was close to me and easily accessible and i loved that feature, but that will require you running longer wire and a permanent mount. There was a post on here for a guy selling a tank for 35 bucks just buy that one and save yourself the trouble, but maybe im just lazy.
Good luck hope any of that helps.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Dave k

Thanks for the quick response.

I saw some used ones, but I like to tinker with/build things which is why I'm choosing to do my own. Plus I've already got a bunch of the parts handy so it's not going to cost me a ton.

As for the switch location, I guess since I only need to turn it on once and off once, i can probably get back there to flip it. Another option would be to mount the battery box on the side of the crate. The one thing I'd like to avoid is mounting anything to the yak. I like the idea of this being fully transportable and not permanent.

Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
GregAndrew

I would mount the battery box right to the tank if possible, with the switch on the box. Much more compact and transportable that way. You might want to consider a 500 gph pump if you are going to use a 6v and plan on carrying much bait. Sardines don't fare so well when the O2 levels fall a little or the water heats up much.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Dave k

Question

Right on, thanks guys. I think I've got it all figured out now.