Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Dave I.

Summer YAK Shark trip!

Guys( and gals) I have been thinking about trying to catch a shark from my yak now for weeks. I know that this is slightly more that average danger rating, especially for a single yakker. So i figured i should as you guys if anyone else was interested. Make a day of it. maybe get someone with a boat to go with use to be a base station. paddle/peddle out a mile or 2, through a chum bucket attached to a float, wait and see what comes up.

This my first-time trying to set something like this up, so i have only a small idea of the logistics involved, but i am smart enough to ask you guys for help and participation.

I am thinking, mid to late May.

Dave
Dave I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

The T's will be in soon enough. Troll a Rapala and there's a good chance you'll get lucky... Who knows what else you'll pull in on it.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

If you really want to catch a shark and don't care what kind, just fish for halibut . Leopards, angel sharks, shovelnose, batrays, anything but halibut will hit.

I would be very careful chumming for sharks from a kayak. Catching T sharks is easy when they are around, you don't need to chum. A mac or a plug dragged around will get them. Just be careful if you hook one in the tail with a plug. Don't get bitch slapped and keep the hook out of your own body.

Makos are a whole different problem entirely. I've reeled in two small ones to the kayak, and seen a few more closer than I would like. Not cool. Anything over about 50# can get scary fast. They like to chew on things, like swimsteps, kayaks, or whatever happens to be near them. They often charge the boat to see what hooked them. When there is chum in the water they get excited and will chew on anything.

Both species tend to jump. Let them run when they are green so they aren't jumping near you.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
Both species tend to jump. Let them run when they are green so they aren't jumping near you.
Have somebody with a camera ready as well.

Also a sharp knife and rope are essentials too.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I'll go! When, where, and do you have a shark suit I can borrow? A cage maybe?

Seriously, I'll go! It sounds like fun...Extreme fishing! I also want a bill fish when I have the Moolah and time to go.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
madscientist

Troll rapalas at sunset for the next few months and you will hook more pup makos than you ever wanted. Use a wire leader or it'll get expensive. Or, as the other guys said, just wait for the T's to get here. Dead squid or sardine on the bottom near the kelp can get you a soupfin or smooth hound.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
slanteyedtuna

I am a noob and I plan to start fishing for the T's soon. I was wondering at what dept range and months do most of you catch your T's? I plan on fishing the Malibu area.
slanteyedtuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
Slay Rider

Over the years - from the decks of our yaks - my friends and I have killed a shark or two - most brands you just let tow you until the life slowly drains out of them but the mako is evil to the core and must be dealt with as such.

If you are a hunter and or military, bring along a pistol caliber suited for harvesting big game or killing enemy combatants - when he makes that first pass - shoot to kill or be prepared to be killed.

Like most things in life - it’s just that complicated and it’s that simple.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
Tailwhipped

I'm not sure of our state law on firing a weapon from a boat/kayak so I only use pepper spray. It would be a blast to fish makos from the yak but I need my life to support my fishing habits. Good luck and be safe!

Tailwhipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Dave I.

I'm convinced that if i hook up to a mako, i am cutting the line ASAP. I will only keep fighting a T.

Dave
Dave I. is offline   Reply With Quote