Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Drake

A very sincere Thank You

Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to take a moment to sincerely thank everyone who participated in the 2014 Rockfish Derby. I know it was a bit of a mess with the date change, however, that didn’t stop us from making this first time event one to remember. No where in my wildest dreams did I expect such a strong showing for a first year tournament with such support from the local community. A lot of faith was placed directly on me to deliver you all a seamless and memorable experience, I can only hope I held up my end of the bargain, you guys certainly did! Due to popular demand, there will absolutely be a 2015 Rockfish Derby and I hope everyone who participated this year plans to come back. As well as those who unfortuneately could not attend.

I’m sure everyone is wondering what the final amount raised for the charities are. Well, the hard numbers are still to be determined for a few reasons. We have about $1,800 retail left in the UV 50 shirts to sell, as well as the original signed, and framed water color painting by Charles Belnavis from Kelpclothing.com.

I have also decided that a portion of the money raised will be used to incorporate the Rockfish Derby and apply to become a recognized charitable organization. This will open up many more avenues for future contributions. I don’t think anyone would disagree that the raffle was one of the biggest they have seen for a tournament of this scale. Imagine how much more stuff we could pull in next year!

With that being said, I just dropped off a check to OEX for $1,670 to "Heroes on the Water.” The beauty of this is that National, has agreed to match donations this year. So, our $1,670 is actually $3,340!!! Currently with just the checks alone from entry fees, we have over $5,000 to the Wounded Warrior Project. With the remaining shirt sales, and money raised from the painting auction I’m confident I will be able to cut a check to the WWP for >$7,000. Nice job everyone!

I would like to make a few personal thank yous'. If I leave you out I promise it wasn’t intentional!

Jon Wilson, Don Wronson and the Rest of the Marlin Club San Diego: I really couldn’t have done it without you. You guys are truly and amazing organization and without your support and manpower, none of this would be possible. Jon, thanks for stepping up and cooking. You should have been enjoying the day but instead, you jumped in the “Kitchen” and got right to it. You’re a life saver.

Kevin Nakada and the rest of the Hobie Team: From what I gathered in the beginning, Hobie is rather selective when it comes to the events that they sponsor. They look for prior attendance and overall success of the event. Kevin went out on a limb and bent the rules to help a great cause. Their commitment to helping the community sets an example that I can only hope other large organizations can get behind.

Eric Maulhardt from Seeker Rods: Prior to Eric taking control of seeker I had been working with Darin, a big name in sport fishing. Darin and I had worked out details about becoming a co-headline sponsor. When I found out Darin was no longer with Seeker, I was concerned about the new management continuing to be a part of the Rockfish Derby. When I first spoke to Eric about what the plan was, Eric was more than happy to keep Seekers promise and even stepped it up a notch. I am looking forward to a long lasting relationship with Seeker in the future and their continued support for the Rockfish Derby

Adi, CJ, Brent and Andy from OEX and KayakFishingSupplies.com: I’m pretty sure no one else had to put up with my constant demands more than these guys. Between letting me use their forum Bigwatersedge as a virtual poster board for the tournament and their Mission Beach location as our hub to ship, receive and coordinate everything related to the derby, these guys were more than happy to oblige. I have had a relationship with OEX since I moved here and these guys are all top tier performers when it comes to making accommodations for a good cause. I knew right away they could be counted on when this crazy idea came about. Next year I will be less demanding, I promise

Charles Belnavis from Kelpclothing.com: I have never met a more laid back and humble entrepreneur. Charles (Tattuna) is by far the easiest person I have ever had to do business with. Aside from his artwork being downright amazing, his willingness to donate his time and vision to the derby was incredible. Charles, I can’t wait to see what you come up with in 2015 man.

William Novotny: Couldn’t leave you out man. Due to some logistical issues, we were unable to utilize Wills work. However, his original sketch was ultimately the inspiration for the final artwork. I hope next year we can work together and get you more involved bud.

Ali and Jason from Bloody Decks: These guys are always looking for a new fun project to get involved with. When I hit Ali up on Facebook about the derby all he said was “Heck yeah, stop by the office” These guys run the Yellow Tail shootout like a well oiled machine. Thanks to their advice and guidance we were able to run this without any major disasters.

Dwayne from the San Diego Anglers club: Dwayne is responsible for the success of Open Bay Bass Tournament every year. He was the very first person I reach out out to when I needed coaching. When he heard the entire pitch he said. “Well, you F#CKED up. You’ll be doing this for 20 years now. It’s a wonderful idea.” Much of our sponsor support came from calling recommended vendors and name dropping Dwayne. Because of his reputation we were able to secure much more support. Without Dwayne and his coaching, I don’t know how I would have survived.

Jared from Seatow: Jared was a very ‘behind the scenes” player in the derby. He’s the main reason I was able to secure the Marlin Club, as well as get in touch with all the other clubs for their support. I met Jared for the first time when I ran out of fuel on my way back in from a fishing trip. While we were filling the gas up, I told him about the derby. From then on, he couldn’t stop helping. Thanks for all you did Jared!

The Team Sewer Boys: Tony, you’re the friggen man. No one cuts fish like you. You saw we needed the extra help and you didn’t hesitate to act. Without you, there would have been some pissed off, hungry anglers. George and Roby, you guys killed it too. Thanks for being a part of the success.
Stinky Matt forfeited his day of fishing for a relaxing day on the beach weighing fish. Thanks buddy!

The Lollipop Guild misfits: Sincerely, thanks for nothing. How could you guys let me go through with this? Man, 5 months ago I wish you guys tried to tell me this was going to be this much work. Oh, wait….you did. Robfish, thanks for being being a true friend. Jim, thanks for hanging out at the launch with Matt all day being a beach creep. Danno, Cbad, Jordan…thanks for fishing? Robert…the website guy! Thanks for stepping it up and taking care of all the internet nonsense! Darren (Dmrides) Thanks for taking on the duties of making sponsorship contact and coming along to some meetings.

Jeff Bias (JeffB) and Edward Glasco: You guys are incredible. Your work is out of this world and you two have no idea how much I appreciate all you guys did. For those who don’t know, those twelve custom seeker rods came from these two. Thanks so much for your hard work. I hope next year we can get even more rods for you guys to work out wink wink.

Other honorable mentions:
  • Makobob
  • MrPatrick
  • Lenny(Skrilla)
  • Daryl (Tin slayer 28)
  • Bill Batson from Alps
  • Liz Vernand from Channel Island Sportfishing
  • The Barona
  • Theresa Fishlowitz
  • Montie and M&M
  • Luke at Anglers Choice
  • Megan at Charkabit
  • Joey at Squidco
  • Cat at the Log
  • Aztec Brewing Company
  • Bill at Saltydawg Rods
  • Sean and Kirstie from The Control Group
And thank you to all our other sponsors. I hope next year you all continue to support our effort to support the Wounded Warrior Project and Heroes on the water.

Heres to 2015!
Sincerely,
Neill Drake
Tournament Director
The Rockfish Derby
Old 04-09-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
momo fish

Think you deserve a huge pat on back for all your efforts. Even if you spell you name with 2 "L's" now. hoping to be able to join next year as was unable to this time around.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Think you deserve a huge pat on back for all your efforts. Even if you spell you name with 2 "L's" now. hoping to be able to join next year as was unable to this time around.
Yeah, the 2 LL's thing has been around since I was a little kid. I have a brother Russell and a brother Glenn. They both have double letter endings, and when I was young I thought I got jipped, so my parents started spelling it with two. My whole life it's been that way, except for my birth certificate so my "Professional" email account and stuff, has only one L.

Consider 2 LL's a nickname
Old 04-10-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
joezee1986

Hey Neil thanks for letting me help out I got to meet a bunch of cool humble ass dudes that love the water and BEER as well.....Hopefully get to hang out with you guys again!
joezee1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
jorluivil

Are you going to post the final $$ numbers that are being donated to WWP and HOW? How about the derby winners? I just want to make sure I wasn't dreaming

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
skrilla

Thank YOU Neill. Big ups taking the lead and directing the event. Amazing how everything ran smooth even with all the obstacles. Next year's prizes get priority on my workbench. Just let me know when and I'll clear the way.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Are you going to post the final $$ numbers that are being donated to WWP and HOW? How about the derby winners? I just want to make sure I wasn't dreaming
The numbers are in the post homie. Not the results though, I'll get to it.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The numbers are in the post homie. Not the results though, I'll get to it.

missed that

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Tuff guy

Thank you for putting on such a great event for a great cause, went really smooth. Congrats
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
octico

Work got in the way ...

Wish I could have gone. It just so happened that this was the only weekend I work out of the year. Next year fellas ... i am gonna bring it!!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
old_rookie

Good job Drake - well done.
And thanks to all those who volunteered and helped you.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote