Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
DESTROYER

LJ 8/4

Took a guided trip for Jim today with a real cool guy from Arizona named Lou Norman. How do you go wrong with 2 first names.

Surf was pumping. Bigger than I have seen it in awhile but hey, I don't get out a lot. I got Lou out dry but can't say the same for myself. I got totally tubed bra

Lots of Greenbacks...oh Shat, my bait tank is broken! Yep, the cupling broke when the wave hit it. I had to make freshies all day to change out the baits which wasn't bad because we both got hit by something toothy twice.

Around 9:30 the sun came out and we were off the NW Corner when I see a school of about 8-10 nice sized YT sunning themselves. Threw the and they wanted nothing to do with it. Stayed in the general area 110-135 feet and see them a few more times. Finally get the perfect cast, I tell Lou to be ready cause I'm gonna hand it off to him. I reel straight through them and I get a reaction bite but it didn't stick

That's my story! Beautiful day, no love but we enjoyed Whales in the distance and playful dolphin next to the kelp. I really enjoy LJ. BTW- Water warmed back up to 63 and by the time we left the surface temp was almost 65. LJ is back to it's old school self and I think the slow trolled Greenies will be the ticket for the 9th Annual SMMT. Go get em.

Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

I would rather have been there than here at work...sounds nice, I heard it
was pretty tough this last week out there....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
PescadorPete

Thanks for the story. Guess I was one of the lucky few that went unscathed on the 8/4 launch. I don't like the LJ short sets, always a problem for me. I headed out in the dark, can't see what's coming, ignorance is bliss...
I saw you guys out there around the corner. I was further north, all I got was a log barracuda. One guy did paddle by and asked me to keep an eye out for his bait tank. He launched through the surf and when he went to put a bait in his tank, nothing left but the battery and the switch!
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
fishinfreak

Bigger south swell from Hurricane Eugene should send some warmer Mexican water up our way. Hopefully it'll help our local fishing conditions. Until then I'll enjoy the bigger surf.
fishinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
Caden
Homeless will fish 4 food

thanks for the report, too bad no hook up but better than working, been read many story from u guys and i need to go out there to throw my
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER View Post
Surf was pumping. Bigger than I have seen it in awhile but hey, I don't get out a lot.

Lots of Greenbacks...oh Shat, my bait tank is broken! ... change out the baits which wasn't bad because we both got hit by something toothy twice.

.. I see a school of about 8-10 nice sized YT sunning themselves. Threw the and they wanted nothing to do with it.
I'd say Friday must have been a duplicate of Thursday. Guess that's the last time I just take a quick glimpse of Magic Seaweed and their report of 1.5 ft @ 15 seconds

Spent 12 hours on the water. Yep, lots of bait, big bait, could have had a meal off my Sabiki. The Revo is 7 months old, and the damn bait tank switch decided to reak havok on me yesterday. I'd have to pay attention for the quiteness of the tank to realize it wasn't running.

Lost 3 Greenbacks to the toothy ones who did a slice and dice on my bait, AND 5 to the damn dogs! They would NOT leave me alone yesterday. After one got my bait, he had the nerve to come up to the yak, 10' away, looking at me like he was from Seaworld, and I should be throwing him some more for doing a trick.

YT, swimming right past me, wouldn't take my flylined mac or the iron I threw.

Oh well, was way better than working
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
DESTROYER

I saw Rod Bennet and he was out for a paddle for exercise.

I guess Rod got one on the way in about a 15lb Yellow flyline mac. Great conditions. 15 feet vis.

Should get going soon if the water does turn again.
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Thanks for the report Matt! Am I getting older or is the surf worse this year in LJ?

I can neither confirm or deny the presence of lots and lots of 3-5ft makos and blues grinding up the bait out there.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote