Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2015, 05:56 PM   #1
Greg Macker
Junior

Hey Chris. Good to meet you. Glad I could make a cameo appearance in the video. I was trying to scamper away so there was no chance of a tangle, but didn't realize you had that fish so close to your boat at that point.

Great video. Incredible the amount of speed generated and documented there. Towed out to sea by a hammerhead shark!!

So damn cool that you are releasing these fish. I released one as well on Saturday. Keep arm paddling!

Last edited by Greg Macker; 08-24-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Greg Macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Macker View Post
Hey Chris. Good to meet you. Glad I could make a cameo appearance in the video. I was trying to scamper away so there was no chance of a tangle, but didn't realize you had that fish so close to your boat at that point.

Great video. Incredible the amount of speed generated and documented there. Towed out to sea by a hammerhead shark!!

So damn cool that you are releasing these fish. I released one as well on Saturday. Keep arm paddling!
Good to meet you as well Greg. Nice job on the release! Homeguards are made, not born(:

You were fine on the positioning. The only time you have to be careful is when somebody first hooks up and its up on the surface. Once it sounds, and im right over it, you can work circles around me and be ok as long as you don't let too much line out.

That's not to say people should just go in doing hot-laps around a guy who's hooked up... Only with permission! Come in at a distance, assess the situation, say "whats up", and do a wide circle giving plenty of room.

Shoot... i basically lurked your fish when i got my 2nd one. I was offering Greg a friendly OTW photo after he had just stuck a nice 20+# yt , and low and behold...
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
lbsurf2ca

That's the right way to get out to the tuna grounds. lol
Old 08-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Greg Macker
Junior

Mine Thanks for offering up the "on the water" picture. Too cool
Attached Images

Greg Macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
bigbarrels

Released 3 YT today
Old 08-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
FISH11

I totally agree with that releasing a yellowtail that is large enough to usually keep, is as much fun if not more fun than gaffing it to take home. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat Yellowtail, but when you still have some in the freezer why harvest every fish you land. At least be selective in what you keep. A year ago, I would have thought that was crazy. I guess that is one more lesson I have learned. There is a lot of pleasure to watch the yellowtail swim away, because you chose to release it. I hope more guys feel confident enough to release some an keep the fishery strong. Really well done Chris, loved the video. I wish I had gotten a sleigh ride like that the last time out with the hammer that took my line 3 different times. I guess I just pulled too hard the first time was a 5 minute fight and he towed me some but the hard pull on my part made him go deep and finally cut the 40lb fluoro. The best sleigh ride I have ever got, was a large Thresher last year and he towed me around in circles and then for almost a mile before using his tail in mid air to cut my 65lb braid. That was awesome. Tight lines, Chris
Old 08-25-2015, 01:39 AM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
After the first hammerhead sleigh ride...the other two I just tighten my drag until the line would snap not crazy about bringing in a shark the size of my kayak
Old 08-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Here's one without my bow in the shot, literally 1 second before my flyliner went off haha

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote