Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #1
steve999

I looked at the boat in camping rules for Catalina and it says you have to have portable restroom facilities with you. How does that work on a kayak?
steve999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve999 View Post
I looked at the boat in camping rules for Catalina and it says you have to have portable restroom facilities with you. How does that work on a kayak?
Mirage drive well
Old 02-18-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve999 View Post
Bucket and a plastic bag
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
SailorDan
Junior

WooHoo! I've been wanting to do this for years, just haven't had the time. I'll shoot you a pm, let me know when you are planning to go. I have a truck (Tandem Island) so I might be able to help taking stuff across.

I'm guessing you've seen these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BHAzDPW5So

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ssIvgV1GM
SailorDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #5
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Valuable Intel - Thanks Russ

Had a great chat with Russ who shared his "Bucket List" trip with me - making me all the eager to make this dream come true.

My take away from our hour long conversation:

1) Plan on unpredictable weather - his original plan was to kayak around the entire island, but a freak weather pattern kept him on the front side.
2) Avalon freight is a great service if you want to do the "Freight" option, but know that it adds a day due the barge travelling at night. Might be an option if you would like to ferry over and return with the wind to your back.
3) You can pack your kayak full of stuff, but not propane, which you can get on the island.
4) Travel by the 1st week of June as tourist season starts shortly after (looking to do this trip in May!)
5) Must have WAG bags (something to drop a deuce in) or else the ranger will make you purchase theirs.
6) Parson's landing reservations requires that you check in at Avalon to get your key to your locker - you'll receive 2.5 gal water and some wood. One of the few campsites where you can make a fire - also has showers and bathroom facilities. This site also has picnic tables.
7) Cel service available at Avalon and Two Harbors - not available in the middle of the island.
8) I would travel early 4:30am equipped with lights to make sure that we arrive before noon
9) drink alot of water and make sure you do your morning bathroom break before you embark on your adventure.

He's also down to go again!

btw: received my sail and plan to do a training run of 30+ miles on Lake Mead. If you're serious to come with - start training now! This DREAM can come TRUE if you're committed!

"May the Fish Be With You!"
Hobi-Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
SailorDan
Junior

I'm going to Catalina

Hobi-Wan you have me fired up for a Catalina trip. If you want company, I'm available 12May - 4Jun, with the exception of Memorial Day weekend (would need a favor from the mother-in-law).

Last edited by SailorDan; 02-22-2017 at 03:25 PM.
SailorDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Welcome Aboard!

I'm glad you're fired up! I'm shooting for this time period as it's sooner than later, lol. I'm sure as we get closer to the date, we'll get more interest. I'm a little more flexible in my scheduling, so I can make this suggested time period happen. I notice you're on an adventure island, so I might be tailing you. Hopefully as the dates draw near - more kayakers will join - I've heard there are many SoCal kayakers who have similar ideas - just need to get the word out!
CrazzyGar and Rnrkly5, have also shown interests as well. As for myself - next step is to continue training and try sailing my PA on Lake Mead. Need to put those hours in and get prepared! If it was easy, more people would have done it.
If this guy could do it - no reason it can't be done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2D4UnDq8zw&t=50s

Catalina Crossing 2017 - Live the Dream!

Old 02-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
cris

I looked over the route and have been gathering information on this. Looks doable on a good day. I don't have a sail so I'd be peddle/paddling but I do have a tandem so I may have a second source of power
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
Hobi-Wan Kenobi
Junior

Intel appreciated!

Whatever intel you may have would be greatly appreciated. Yes, looking to do this on a "Good Day" too! Wind means waves and I'd just as soon just peddle over. How's 2nd half of May, 1st week of June looking for you?
People swim to Catalina, so I'm not worried about crossing over in a Hobie. Having a tandem means length = fast, plus you'll be able to carry over more stuff - lol.
Looking for info about the weather 2nd half of May, will it calm down by this time? What about the shipping lane? Is there a schedule to see how many freighters will be coming through on any particular day?
Let me know if you want to come with.

~Let's make this Dream a Reality!

Old 02-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #10
newportdogs

Elric, sent you a PM. Thanks
newportdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
Grammas Boy
Junior

Thumbs up

I have made two camping trips to Catalina. Exhausting, but you guys seem prepared for that. Fishing is allowed most places but not right outside Two Harbors. Summer weekends can be mobbed, but I guess we might have fun BEING the mob! Elric might talk me into joining.
Mike
Grammas Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:23 AM   #12
PapaDave

Personally, I would like to fish Catalina from my kayak, there are areas that boats overlook everywhere.

However, not real keen on pedaling over, it does get nasty out there. I think I'm going to tow my kayak over sometime. Load up with a tank full of sardines, take a couple of hours, more or less, to get over there. Find a spot, anchor, hop in the kayak and explore. Maybe spend the weekend over there doing that, head out on a Friday evening, comeback Sunday.