Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
Hammerhead_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
Maybe my question wasn't clear enough. Has anyone used one of those generic boga grippers on a 40lb YT and did it hold through a second wind of thrash'n?

Hammerhead when I referred to my grip the size reference was in regards to handling Japanese sea bass not a 24" rat YT.
Ah. OK. low comprehension day I guess. I've never used anything on a YT except the gaff or a landing net if I was going to release a small one. Some guys really rock at wearing the fish out to the point it just floats...not me. I lose too many fish when I screw around so I tend to get them to the gaff fast, which can mean you end up with a little bit hotter fish on the gaff than would be ideal.
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #2
taggermike

I made a kage a couple years ago, took it on a few trips, but didnt catch any thing big enough to use it. Mostly I made it for fun, not cause I felt I needed one.

Don't wanted to diss our local fishing but we don't have any big dangerous fish (except sharks, which I don't fish for). In HI they use kages on billfish, wahoo, n big tuna. You really want these fish dead and held at a bit of a distance until they die. They can stab you, cut you, and beat you to death, respectively. Sadly, we don't have fish like these.

WSB are strong but fade fast and are usually gassed out and exhausted at boat side. They have teeth but nothing that's gonna tear you up. YT basically don't have teeth, and only a few spines. Halis always have potential to freak out, but again, they can really hurt you. There's a poster here on BWE from AK that uses a harpoon with a break away head on pacific halibut. These fish can get huge and a freakishly powerful. A harpoon is the only safe way to dispatch then.

Ive found YT super easy to release. They have a strong tooth less jaw and thin caudal peduncle you can hold. I grab the jaw then the tail and pull them across my lap. Remove the hook. Then slide them off the the other side head first with a bit of a push and off they go.
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote