Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
yaky yak

11-25 LJ report

Launched at daybreak. The surf was a little bigger then Iv'e had to go out in a while. I paddle out with a off shore breeze at my back to where I saw several PB's and a couple kayak fishing. There was lots of bait. big macks were everywhere chasing smaller bait. I saw no signs of the right kind, but there was an abundants of seals feasting on the Macks.
I yo yoed outside, trolled a bait(only the seals showed any interest) and I jigged a mega bait with my baitcasting outfit towards the end of the day and got a nice white fish, and several legal bass, that I C/R.
I got to the shoreline at dust, and the surf was about 2 1/2 to 3 ft and the sets were coming one after another. I lashed everything down good or so I though. I make it in fine, but when I stepped out of the yak a wave of white wash hit the yak broad side, my crate fell off but was still attached and I couldn't turn my kayak over as I was hit by more white water. I lost my battery, and my jig box, and ruined my phone, I am hoping my new FF will still work. I still had a good day. the afternoon was really nice out there. Yaky yak
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
CheapPelican

I had a similar experience with my last surf landing. I came in hot and beached it. As I stepped out and forward grabbing the bow handle to drag it ashore, a wave pushed my kayak sideways and into my legs almost knocking me over. I'm thinking that grabbing the stern handle after jumping out might be a good be a good idea. That way I'd have control of the point where the kayak would swing. Kinda like holding the bow while waiting for a gap in incomming sets during a launch. Or is there a better way?
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
"jjcawjj"

I'm thinking that grabbing the stern handle after jumping out might be a good be a good idea. That way I'd have control of the point where the kayak would swing. [/QUOTE]

That seem like the best tecnique for me! Everytime I try riding in I get rolled by a wave! So I just jump out when I can and walk my yak in just to be safe.
"jjcawjj" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
mike m
Junior

Surf

I have found grabbing the stern handle works best. Once you have the stern any surprise wave will straighten the boat out and point the bow toward the beach. At that point you can just walk it in
mike m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
yaky yak

Why didn't I think of that?
I have a bow line on my yak and in big surf, I will jump out and swim in holding the line. I have made it in throu some epic waves using that technique. The waves weren't that big yesterday for that, but the slack in my bow line allowed the yak to be broad sided.(at lest I wasn't behind it this time). Next time I'll grab the rear handle. Good Idea.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

I was amazed when I found out how much a 3 foot wave could actually do to a kayak! I love surfing in waves, but no more when I have fishing gear aboard. Grats on a great day on the water.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
yaky yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
I was amazed when I found out how much a 3 foot wave could actually do to a kayak! I love surfing in waves, but no more when I have fishing gear aboard. Grats on a great day on the water.
It's funny, I use to surf those wave in no problem. I wouldn't even tie my stuff down most the time. I was that(over)confident. Then one day it happened, got a little sideways in my prowler and before I know what happened I was rolling in the surf. It was a costly lesson and my biggest yard sale. Now I am hyper paranoid. I don't mine getting wet, but there is always a crowd it seems when I eat it. That hurts
Even with every thing tied down good one time. I was happy everything made it. It wasn't tell I started the 100 mile drive home I realized my 350.00 eyeglasses were gone off my head.(can't see without them)
Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
coxtanker421

happy holidays

thx for sharing everyone. hope your well. what experienced guys always tell me is to not catch a wave.. from my personal experience its always better to play it safe and tuck things away if you can. i learned the hard way , what not to do the first half dozen times or so. : . enjoy your weekend everyone.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Hah hah, every time I wreck my kayak there is always a crowd as well. Usually parents gather their children to watch the boat come in.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote