Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
Aaron&Julie

Angry Last day of fishing the now closed Scripps area

Yesterday was the last day to fish the now closed areas brought about by the MLPA.
We arrived in the dark, about 5:45AM, and landed at the launch in the dark, about 5:45PM.
Gorgeous day out, flat ocean, little or no wind, and tiny surf for launching and landing, although upon landing we did time (in the dark) it wrong, like we are so good at, at finding the biggest wave. Only about a 2 footer, Julie rode it in, I decided to back up and wait, which rewarded me with a big splash of seawater to the back.
Made plenty of macks just past the south buoy markers, then started to fish.
Lots of PBers and yaks out today mostly concentrated outside of the kelp and in front of the condo, the area I was told, where the yellows went off a week and a half ago (12/21 & 12/22). We can’t imagine what it will be like, when this area is the only place you’re allowed to fish this summer.
We made a pass through the area, then went outside of the group and a little north. Still nothing, so we went back to the kelp line to try for taco meat on cut squid. We managed 1 calico bass, and 1 brown rockfish.
Our plan for the day was to drift for halibut by Scripps pier, and maybe locate the spot in the Scripps canyon, where MattRabasco nailed some goats a couple of days ago. Both of these areas are now closed, thanks to the MLPA. The year Julie caught her world record halibut, sorry to say, we lost 3 halibut, in a 3 week span, on gaff, in the area we drifted yesterday. I did not hit the sweet spot and they went mental, but I’ve learned. A conservative estimate on their weights 25lbs, 40lbs, 60lbs, +/- 5lbs on the first 2, +/- 10lbs on the last one, which would easily have broken Julie’s Women’s world record. I should know I put the gaff in both, and we both saw it.
No love from the halibut. We don’t have a fish finder, but knew about where the Scripps canyon was located. After bouncing the 10oz halibut rig, we finally located the canyon. With less than an hour ‘til dark, we located, where we think the goats were caught, but only managed 3 more small Reds.

Here’s our taco meat photo for the day:

>

With daylight fading, we started the paddle back, both of us talking about how we would never be likely to ever fish these spots again. We were saddened and angry.
I’ve been fishing for 45+ years, ocean fishing for 40+, and Julie about the same, maybe not always to the same degree until she met me. Fishing on the kayaks off of La Jolla has easily become our #1 passion(a good tuna bite is next), not just because of excellent fishing, but the beauty, too. It is our hope that every person responsible, for the MLPA, also lose their greatest passion. If it’s good food, gone should be your sense of taste. Watching good movies partial blindness (not total, we don’t want to seem mean). Sex, may your pecker fall off, or your womb close. Etc, etc, etc. You get the idea.
MLPA and the people behind it, have not only taken away much of the pleasures of a million ocean fishermen or more, but also countless thousands who rely on it as a livelihood. Sport boats, Charters, Bait boats and receivers, Commercial fishermen(lobsters, urchins, etc), Tackle Store owners/Manufacturers, etc, all will feel a major financial blow. I feel sorry for guys like Andy (Iceman), who started their own kayak store. If Julie and I knew this was going to happen 8 years ago when we started this sport of kayak fishing, we very likely wouldn’t have bought our ‘yaks. Don’t get us wrong, they have been worth the investment over those 8 years, but as of today, a huge portion has been ripped out.
Gone, is the location I started fishing off South Laguna from shore, 35 years ago, where I caught sheephead, calicos, halibut and up to 13 species in 1 day. Gone are the tremendous locations off of Palos Verdes, where I learned to fish from the half day trips out of Redondo (the City and Special), 40 years ago. Now gone too, are many wonderful spots in our dear La Jolla. Plus, the dozens and dozens of locations up and down the coast.
Thank you America, too, for allowing this to happen. Helmet laws, checking your shoes at airports, and now depriving fishermen the right to fish in local waters, which is completely unnecessary due to proper DFG limits, What is next, the right to breath, to be?
We hate the MLPA, and despise those involved in it’s passing.