Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
ful-rac
Emperor

Hobie kayaks...say what!?

My first attempt at a jimdayesqe post!

First off this post is not intended to be negative towards hobie kayaks in fact i believe they are the best overall, in my opinion. The purpose of this post is to be open and honest about hobies, to help inform somebody trying to get into the sport or wanting to switch over to the darkside...or stay a kayak paddle purist.

I was talking to a certain non-hobie user today, and his concern was that nobody would openly criticize hobie kayaks in public. So as a former paddle kayak user and current hobie kayak user i will throw out some negatives and positive things that i have found not just with the pro angler but hobie kayaks in general. Feel free to add your own negative or positive experiences.

The drive:
Lets start with the main part, the drive. There seems to be alot going on with that mirage drive.....cables, pulleys, gears, pins, nuts, screws, cables, shafts, pedals, fins... I've been a pro angler user for about 3 years now and yes i have broken my mirage drive several times over the years, as well as seen others break theirs. I personally have broken the idler wheel, the cable, one of the crank arms, ive had to replace the drums, new set of cables. I have seen others break masts idler cables, stretch out their drive cables...wear out main shafts, set screws come loose, allowing the main shaft to slide out and pin the mirage drive to the kayak...whew! Oh yeah and the dreaded mirage drive click...

So it seems why would someone buy something like this? My answer would be because it works.....most of the time. Yes the mirage drive does break, and it does need care and maintenance, just like anything else. But with proper care and a good kayak shop, it should last many years. Of course a paddle kayak lacks this piece of modern art so it cant break, much to the amusement of the paddle kayaker, "purist".

Storage:
As big as a hobie PA is...where is all the storage....? Can i stick my 50 pound WSB inside this monster of a kayak? Hell no! You gotta strap that sucker down cross your fingers and hope for the best. Hobies are not very good on storage...i remember a certain kayaker...lets call him brett (mtnbiker) caught his personal best halibut, 30 pound class fish. Couldnt carry this thing back in his outback or revo...simply because he had no place to put it for the 3 mile trek back to the launch...so malibu kayak saves the day. At the time i had a stealth 14 and was easily able to stick that sucker inside my hatch along with my fish, with room left over.
Yeah no storage inside my PA, just enough for a jacket, dry box/bag, safty gear little stuff. Did i mention i gaffed it for him too....?

Weight:
Yeah this thing is a beast especially when fully loaded. Granted fully unloaded its not that bad believe it or not. So you end up having to strip it down completely if you want to get it on top of your truck or car. It takes alot of extra time to get everything set up and broken down...at least for me it does...I have found that if you get the right set of really expensive wheeleeze wheels you can move this beast with ease. If you get the wheels balanced just right you could even move it with one finger fully loaded.

Cost:
Yes hobie kayaks are alot more expensive...but two of the reasons why is, quality and service. When you look at a hobie kayak...it just screams quality, sorry "purists". I have to admit, i really didnt like hobies until i owned one. The look and feel to a hobie seems far superior than any other kayak on the market today...my opinion of course. The service is good, not to say other manufacturers service isnt...but ive had my kayak replaced for warranty issues and have seen others replaced for no charge, even when i wouldnt expect them to. (MATT)

Surf Launches and landings:
Oh the dreaded surf launch...the PA does very well in calm conditions but throw in a swell and 3+ foot surf...your going for a ride! Its always exciting when your launching your PA and it does a 90degree turn right in the "kill zone" for no apparent reason while your launching...yes they dont track good without the rudder down. I personally survived (dont know how) a 5' wave breaking right on my face with my PA...didnt even flip...jim didnt make it though....

Landings can be exciting too, im sure all of you have seen frank wiredantzs video of me eating it in the surf possibly the greatest video of all time. I honestly dont see why its funny but other people seem to think so. That happened because i had lost my paddle earlier in the day bad timing and i got caught in the kill zone with no way to back up or turn around. Since then i havent had any crashes that i can remember....i like to come in sideways and brace into the oncoming waves all the way in, it seems to work.

Fishing:
No you halibut guys cant fish with the butt of the rod under your leg, not gonna happen on the PA. But...you can move along and fish into the wind with the rod in your hand/s instead. Yes you can get the spectra and kelp stuck in your drive fins....just pull your drive out and move on. You might have to go around the kelp instead of plowing thru it like you would on a regular kayak...this really sucks...it could add some mileage to your trip.

Sandwich:
You could eat your busy bee sandwich, drink your beer eat your chips make a phone call send a text, check what stupid shit got posted on BWE (like this post) all while making way to the fishing grounds. That is MONEY

Stand up like a man:
Fight your fish standing up!! Anyways.... Ever want to stand up and pee like a man on your kayak? The PA is your "boat"!

Lowrance Ready:
Lowrance ready is not lowrance ready...WTF? Only the standard 83/200 50/200 fit in the standard lowrance ready slot. Apparently the newer style can fit with some modifiaction...but come on...whos fault is this hobie or lowrance? Otherwise HDS users rejoice! Amazing quality and sight picture. The best mounting soulution in the BIZ!

The seat:
I forgot about the seat...yes the previous generation PA seat was nice but it wasnt all nice...it was nice that there were no arm rests so you could just hop out or sit sideways if you need to. It was not nice that it was a pain in the ass to open the tackle box hatch what ever you call it. It was also not nice that the buckles on the seat would break. Also the straps would eventually give out from the constant wear and adjusting from loosening...

The vantage seat, the only thing that i dont like about the new seat is the arm rests...you cant just jump out of the kayak like you used to. But i can over look that fact because the new seat is awesome! Adjustable comfortable, quickly removeable, rock solid....but comes at an awesome price!!!!$$$$$!!!!!

Now is the PA good for everyone, is it the perfect kayak/boat....NO..but its a damn good one. It has its drawbacks but IMO its positives definitely outweigh its negatives.

I dont care if you didnt ask for my opinion, its mine and im stickn to it!

Im tired....does anybody have any more to add to this nonsense?

Are you happy Anonymous purist kayaker?

Last edited by ful-rac; 03-30-2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added the seat
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote