Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
DanaPT

11/18 Dana Point Report

A fantastic morning on the water. Started around 6:30 am to cool and slightly breezy weather.

Last time out, I vowed to bring my fly-rod for entertainment and It was worth it. Trolled with a small minnow looking fly and what do you know. . . Macks can be fun to catch. They do hit hard. Only problem I found, what to do with that 9ft rigged fly-rod when done? I partially broke it down and strapped it to the bow. I also found that it's tough to try and cast so low to the water and poles standing up behind me.

Once out to my destination, I was good for three 12 inch or so Calico. Last time I was out, I noticed a significant amount of surface activity deep in the kelp. Same thing again this time. If I were on a fresh water stream, I'd say there was a hatch going on!

Seems the Calico break the surface likely to eat a fish eating the small fry finding protection near the floating strings of kelp. If anyone has suggestions or ideas, do share. A few tails on those looked big. Something weedless is essential. But once you hook'em, may not be worth the trouble trying to reel them in with so much kelp to battle through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwqBKD6kSwo

On my way back IN, I lost it! I always wondered and thought about when it would happen, where it would happen, all the fine details. But I dropped a swim bait to the bottom, retrieved and bam! Figured it was a nice calico or sand bass, but is was a halibut (Sweet!).

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

I am humbled to see the real big fish many of you are bringing in. I'm a student (on marriage, being a parent, fishing, etc.) looking to learn and willing to share. I'm grateful for this site and those people willing to share their stories and experiences with others, Thank you.

Oh, all fish including the macks were released with a complimentary pierced lip!

Enjoy the weekend.

Last edited by DanaPT; 11-20-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Awe shoot, I lost a day. This report was for 11/19.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
MVC

Looked like a nice day on the water. There are alot of quality Halibut caught around that kelp.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Ohana

It takes some practice, but try sitting sideways on the kayak when casting with your fly rod. This will give you more room for your backcast.

As for fishing in the kelp, try weedless jigs, like Warbaits, or other "weedless" lures. I have even used bass spinnerbaits with success in the kelp around Dana Pt. Just remember to use a moderately heavy action rod and a reel with a strong drag; once you hook a fish, you will need this gear to quickly turn their head and prevent them from diving into the kelp and tying you up.

Good luck out there.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Jzo

Thx for the great report.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
cowboybill

thanks for report

I always wanted to try fly fishing...

Off a Kayak would be even more interesting