Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
GregAndrew

OTW signs of stroke

On Sat., Tony (ful-rac) and I were coming back into King Harbor and rescued an elderly man that was having an apparent stroke. The guy was within 50 feet of the end of the short breakwall, struggling on a paddle board. There were literally 10 other people in the immediate vicinity of the man when we had just entered the harbor mouth. Not one of them took a few seconds to ask the man if he was having a problem. I will grant that most of the people in the immediate vicinity were on paddleboards for probably the very first time, but that was not true for the idiot teaching them. As we got closer to the man, I heard one of his students ask if the old guy was ok and he said, offhand, yeah he is ok. Here was the problem: The guy was able, just barely, to stay above water and hold onto his paddle board. He was unable to speak or communicate. He seemed to think that he was not paralyzed down his entire left side. He looked, from the outside, to be attempting to pull something up from the bottom while using his board as leverage. That is exactly what we thought for a couple of minutes as we approched, but he was not letting go of the apparent object he was holding even when his board would slip away from him. The first time his board slipped away, he was able to grab it pretty quickly, the second time was our que to act. Tony, in hs new PA, kicked it in gear and arrived first. He asked the guy if he was ok, and was answered with only grunts. He quickly said "give me your hand" and the guy did, only to pull away again to grab his board. Tony got his arm again and did not let go. I switched my radio to 16 and called out the mayday, and told them we probably had a stroke victim and where we were. The Lifeguard boat was there in probably 2 minutes and took the guy away. Don't know the status of the guy, but thought that the story should be told if only for what to look for in an otw stroke victim. (I am no doctor, and it could very well have been some other medical condition. But the guys left side was useless and made it look exactly like someone trying to pull an anchor or stuck lobster pot off the bottom). In dealing with the guy, he acted as if he did not realize he was paralyzed (pulling away from Tony), so be prepared for that in case you come across a similar situation.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Dennis

Luckily you guys were there to assist.. It could have turned for the worse.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

good on you guys!

i probably would have never noticed. i never really pay attention to other people out there, just the guys fishing to see whats going on.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Gigafish

Inconsiderate A-holes or clueless Mofo,s a little common sense goes a long way. You guys made the difference in this guys life when no one else would. Thanks for taking action.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
MrM

A grim reminder that when we are on the water, if we lose out ability to sit/stand upright, there's no ground to fall on... Only water to drown in.

Good looking out, and good job having the situational awareness to quickly assess & assist in the situation. We need more people with this type of assertiveness in the world.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Mongo Johnson

Bravo!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
mtnbykr2

Tony should be commended, a situation came up one time, him and I were coming into DP harbor from a nice day, we came into the entrance and Tony and I noticed a yak upside down, my first thought was a fellow fisherman and all his gear sinking to the bottom, however upon seeing this, we both went over to the upside down yak and found it to be a rental, and the paddler hanging off the side, clearly out of breath and kinda panicking, he could not get back in,
There must have been a dozen others around, and we watched another yakker paddle right by him prior to our arrival, Tony and I surrounded him and assisted him back into the yak.
As much attention as we pay to our surroundings, PBs, jetskis, ships, rogue wakes, and then add the normal fishing concerns, I think it is everyones responsibility to at least try and help out someone in need on the water if they are able, most of us are pretty experienced, but if something were to happen to me out there I would sure hope that someone like Tony, and Greg were around to give me a hand....

Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
icelogger

Great job and great situational awareness! I'm definitely thankful there are guys like you out on the water paying attention and willing to help someone out.

icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Deefeesha

karma points awarded to you two
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

You guys

And not just cuz of your halibut catching abilities...ok, that too...

Way to look out for a fellow waterman

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Drake

Good job Greg. When it comes to being on the water. SUP, Kayak, Surf or boating it's the immediate people around you who are your best chance for survival incase of emegency. Sounds like you're spot on with your guess of it being a stroke.

Here's a good article called "Drowning doesn't look like drowning"
http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/
Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
bigbarrels

Awesome, way to lend a hand
Old 08-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
jorluivil

There must be something in that air near King Harbor that prevents some people from helping others in need. Thanks God people like Greg, Tony and the rest of us still exist.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
jaws197

As the others have already said many kudoes to you two!

I used to work for a hospital system and we were taught to look for certain symptoms heres a link to the quick way to recognize some of the signs: http://www.methodisthealthsystem.org/FAST

We were taught to think and act fast as a stroke doesn't always "look" like a stroke, you two seem to have that down pat!!!

Hope the fates bring you many great fishing trips and big fish your way soon.
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #15
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws197 View Post
As the others have already said many kudoes to you two!

I used to work for a hospital system and we were taught to look for certain symptoms heres a link to the quick way to recognize some of the signs: http://www.methodisthealthsystem.org/FAST

We were taught to think and act fast as a stroke doesn't always "look" like a stroke, you two seem to have that down pat!!!

Hope the fates bring you many great fishing trips and big fish your way soon.
great link and info thanks for sharin...
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
blitzburgh

Way to go man!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
ful-rac
Emperor

I called the harbor patrol office at redondo today just because i was curious and they told me they cant release that type of information....i guess we'll never really know what happened...hopefully he made it and with no ill effects. Always watchout for anybody that looks like they're in trouble it doesnt hurt to ask if your not sure. Im just glad that greg and i could do something to help.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #18
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I called the harbor patrol office at redondo today just because i was curious and they told me they cant release that type of information....i guess we'll never really know what happened...hopefully he made it and with no ill effects. Always watchout for anybody that looks like they're in trouble it doesnt hurt to ask if your not sure. Im just glad that greg and i could do something to help.

Great job saving that guys life.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
bubblehide

That brings a whole new meaning to hero's on the water, awesome job you both did!
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
Hellboy1500

Awesome job!!!
Hellboy1500 is offline   Reply With Quote