Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
45user

Lowrance Elite 4, anyone?

I'm in the market for a ff. I've searched posts on the forum but not much review specifically on this fish finder. Is anyone using this model? How do you like it?
Thanks for your help!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
I'm in the market for a ff. I've searched posts on the forum but not much review specifically on this fish finder. Is anyone using this model? How do you like it?
Thanks for your help!
You might consider looking for the specific FF you want and read the owners reviews on Amazon.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
45user

Sdspeed,
Thanks for the reply. I read some reviews on basspro and cabelas and they seemed to be good. I wanted to here from the hands in user review from the fellow kayak fisherman
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
PapaDave

I have an Elite 5, works pretty good.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
You might consider looking for the specific FF you want and read the owners reviews on Amazon.

I like epinions.com also
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
I like epinions.com also
I always forget about them
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
ctrujillo

Got one works good if i could do it over i would get the 5.the 4 is a little hard to read on split screen mode but its a good unit
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Spaulding4181

I have the Elite 4 and I'm happy with it for the price. Very easy to use, menu is intuitive and I think the screen is big enough. I got mine for like $270 delivered. Good price for color display with gps built in plus it has the micro sd slot to add Navionics if you're so inclined. Its my first ff so I dont have anything to compare to, but out of the box it just works and the display makes sense. I can easily distinguish between game fish, bait fish, eel grass, rock structure, mermaids, etc... Buying the ff is a slippery slope, all about how much $$ you wanna shell out.
Spaulding4181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
captnblood34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding4181 View Post
I have the Elite 4 and I'm happy with it for the price. Very easy to use, menu is intuitive and I think the screen is big enough. I got mine for like $270 delivered. Good price for color display with gps built in plus it has the micro sd slot to add Navionics if you're so inclined. Its my first ff so I dont have anything to compare to, but out of the box it just works and the display makes sense. I can easily distinguish between game fish, bait fish, eel grass, rock structure, mermaids, etc... Buying the ff is a slippery slope, all about how much $$ you wanna shell out.
Im about to get my Elite-4 wet for the first time tomorrow.

Color. check
GPS. check
Navionics Included. check
$250 on CL.

Spaulding did you In-Hull-Mount your trans?
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
Raskal311

Quote:
Where did you order it from?
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
Spaulding4181

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
Im about to get my Elite-4 wet for the first time tomorrow.

Color. check
GPS. check
Navionics Included. check
$250 on CL.

Spaulding did you In-Hull-Mount your trans?
I did in-hull grease mount. I tried a wet mount but I couldn't make the container water tight in my Stealth. The grease works very good, however temp readings are off - anywhere from 2 - 4 degrees when comparing to other ff that have the transducer in the water. Grease is easy but can get messy if you're not careful.
Sounds like you found a great deal, let me know how the Navi chip works out... I was hoping to add that capability soon.
Spaulding4181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
captnblood34

Quote:
I did in-hull grease mount. I tried a wet mount but I couldn't make the container water tight in my Stealth. The grease works very good, however temp readings are off - anywhere from 2 - 4 degrees when comparing to other ff that have the transducer in the water. Grease is easy but can get messy if you're not careful.
Sounds like you found a great deal, let me know how the Navi chip works out... I was hoping to add that capability soon.
Didn't take it out today, Im going to use that as the reason why I also came home empty handed haha! I did some youtube surfing and this guy uses "DUCT SEAL". If you know construction, its so cheap its almost free. Plus NO mess. And yes the in-hull will boch the WT but pans out eventually.

Jay
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote